cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something isnt right. Buyer Return window just got EXTENDED by another 4 weeks. Anyone seeing this?

I had a guy open a return. Typical lying "defective not working" reason to get free return. Buyer messages me that he just needs to return it. Fine. It happens. I'm really not a stickler.

He then NEVER ships. Of course he is using the item, as he got it at a great deal. Electronics are getting more expensive in this chip shortage, and the price he paid me for the item is less than what it is now worth so I guess he wised up and decided to keep the item. At the time, he was most likely trying to see if I would be stupid enough to give him a discount or partial credit. Nope. You gotta return it. Then I inspect and refund.

Anyways, its been about 4 weeks now, so I know I can count the 15 business days ebay *really* gives these scammers to return your item, and I call and usually get a non-return closed over the phone, as the buyer clearly has every intention of keeping the item. No shipment, no scan. Nothing.

I log into my account, check the return date to be sure I was in the right before I call, and I see the return window now extended for almost another MONTH! Anyone else seeing this nonsense?

Do buyers get to return items whenever they feel like it now? Can they just use the items for however long they want? 1 month, 2 months 3 months before they ship back? The heck is going on here?

I wouldn't care if they opened a return and never shipped the item back, but f#$%ing eBay holds my funds and now will hold it for another 4 weeks. I emailed the person to ask them if they will keep the item, then kindly just close the return.

I didn't read anything about Return windows being extended in the fall update. Did I miss this? Or is this some glitch?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Something isnt right. Buyer Return window just got EXTENDED by another 4 weeks. Anyone seeing th

Yup, can confirm this is happening to me as well. The buyer had already gotten past their return date, but I notice that eBay never closes my returns, no matter how long it sits there until I call them. It could be close to two going on three months and they let it sit there. I have to keep calling and calling until EVENTUALLY the customer rep realizes the ridiculous amount of time that has passed and they close it and I can finally get my funds. I even had one rep say that his co-workers were incompetent for letting my returns sit for this long.

But is it really incompetence? No. eBay holds our money like that on purpose. How is that fair? But, let a buyer need something. Anything. Oh, then you better answer ASAP. Oh, and we will just be taking your money INSTANTLY. No wait time to let seller even ATTEMPT a resolution first. Some people open instant cases with no communication with sellers. There should be a 2-3 day window, where the buyer and seller can try to work things out, without eBay snatching up funds like some thirsty ho. It would be easy. They don't have to snatch the funds, just prevent it from being PAID OUT. But no. No wait times on that, huh? Yet we are now forced to wait 4-6 weeks now for our funds with no notification whatsoever.

It feels like when the buyer wants something, even if they are lying, a switch goes off, and eBay now rains down the pressure and hates your guts with a passion. It's like REFUND! REFUND! REFUND! We hate you! REFUND! Then once you lose your money to the fraudulent buyer, then it's like, "Aw, that's ok. We will "protect" you. Didn't we let you "report" them? eBay has your back! Don't worry about the money you lost along with your item. We love you, Seller."

(That is, until a fraudulent buyer wants to scam you again, then...)

eBay simply doesn't care about the seller. They just don't. They know they have a "silent" monopoly and they don't care. Now I too just checked my returns and they are all extended by 30 days. This is starting to feel malicious and something should be done. eBay has an ethical responsibility to alert us of these things. I personally can understand if they did it for COVID or some other business or community reason. We've had recent storms. But no word on anything? No respect at all. Not one word. This is wrong.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: Something isnt right. Buyer Return window just got EXTENDED by another 4 weeks. Anyone seeing th

Hello all! While the timelines for returns granted by policy and help pages shown here are not in error, the displayed time frames for individual returns have been as of late. You can go here to learn more and as always, thank you for reaching out about things like this!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 17 of 17
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: