cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something isnt right. Buyer Return window just got EXTENDED by another 4 weeks. Anyone seeing this?

I had a guy open a return. Typical lying "defective not working" reason to get free return. Buyer messages me that he just needs to return it. Fine. It happens. I'm really not a stickler.

He then NEVER ships. Of course he is using the item, as he got it at a great deal. Electronics are getting more expensive in this chip shortage, and the price he paid me for the item is less than what it is now worth so I guess he wised up and decided to keep the item. At the time, he was most likely trying to see if I would be stupid enough to give him a discount or partial credit. Nope. You gotta return it. Then I inspect and refund.

Anyways, its been about 4 weeks now, so I know I can count the 15 business days ebay *really* gives these scammers to return your item, and I call and usually get a non-return closed over the phone, as the buyer clearly has every intention of keeping the item. No shipment, no scan. Nothing.

I log into my account, check the return date to be sure I was in the right before I call, and I see the return window now extended for almost another MONTH! Anyone else seeing this nonsense?

Do buyers get to return items whenever they feel like it now? Can they just use the items for however long they want? 1 month, 2 months 3 months before they ship back? The heck is going on here?

I wouldn't care if they opened a return and never shipped the item back, but f#$%ing eBay holds my funds and now will hold it for another 4 weeks. I emailed the person to ask them if they will keep the item, then kindly just close the return.

I didn't read anything about Return windows being extended in the fall update. Did I miss this? Or is this some glitch?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Something isnt right. Buyer Return window just got EXTENDED by another 4 weeks. Anyone seeing this?

@eagletechplus 

You can't call anymore to have a return closed, just have to wait until they decided to close it.

Why they extended it, it's hard to say?

Happy Easter
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

bikebanditparts
Adventurer

I just noticed the same thing with my recent returns! I couldn't find any updates from eBay about them extending the returns, either.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

bikebanditparts
Adventurer

Update from my previous comment:

I just spoke with someone at eBay about the extended return date (someone U.S. based). She said it  is supposed to still be 15 days for buyers to return orders. She wasn't aware of any return updates and put me on hold a few times to check if there was any changes, but couldn't find any. She said it's likely a glitch and put in a ticket with their IT, for me, and if it's not corrected in 5 business days, she advised that I call them back about it.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

one of the more active blues was just on letting ebayers know that the covid delay extension was lifted in July

I think its a case of one hand know knowing what the other is doing

the CSR`s cant be expected to have updated info if its not sent to them

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@1tuna wrote:

one of the more active blues was just on letting ebayers know that the covid delay extension was lifted in July

I think its a case of one hand know knowing what the other is doing

the CSR`s cant be expected to have updated info if its not sent to them

The return time-frame extension due to the pandemic ended on June 30, 2020, last year.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Same here. I was thinking I've been seeing the buyers have maybe 7 or 10 days to return the item....I got one yesterday 9-13 and checked and they have to return by 10-26 !!!! Craziness right here

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Yeah, not happy about this either. It just happened to me today. "Buyer" has until Oct. 27th to return?!? 6 weeks?!? eBay, you can't be serious?!?

Hopefully its a glitch!! There is no reason to expect sellers to get an item out asap (Covid or not), but a buyer for whatever reason has this long to return? No. Ridiculous.

I feel your pain!

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

that might be the offical ebay line but extensions have been common for some sellers in the last year

ebay does not appear to operate how they say they do

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Could it be because of the storms, delivery times extended, so rolled over into return times? Something in the code that automatically extended both?

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Yes Ebay extended it in some cases to 6 weeks. When i spoke with Ebay the Rep said it was because of Covid-19  they assume someone may get sick. In the mean time us sellers lose again. So Ebay puts your money on hold and the buyer as your product and the sellers are left with nothing for up to 6 weeks.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

And if a "seller" gets sick ... too bad ... get your item out the door ... 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Yep I too am dealing with this **bleep**

Buyer opened a return today for an item received on 9/10. I had until 9/17 to approve the return but I immediately approved today (same day requested) and now the buyer has until 10/27 to return the item!

This is insane and appears to either be a glitch or another way for eBay to hold our funds and obtain interest.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

System bug after bug after bug.  Maybe if eBay spent more time in their coding and QA process, than the utterly useless seller updates, this wouldn't be such an issue.  Moreover, with the move from Paypal to managed payments and the annoying hold for all returns (including remorse), eBay would love to hold seller funds for 2-3 months easily to get an interest float / side-investements account.  Abandoned returns with funds held up for 60+ days now with this shiz.  In total, you can open a return on day 30 after delivery, rent it for another 6-8 weeks and then ship back for a free 90 day rental.  Add to the fact the well know double-dip from eBay - they'll hold your funds but when you do refund, they'll take it off of available cash, not the existing hold (seriously a half-wit must have come up with this) - resulting in an additional 2-3 delay on the double dip hold. It's almost hilarious how bad managed payments has become.

Here's another fun bug that you can only see on eBay, that is alarming levels of bad.

Ordered item B from Seller XYZ to address in Oregon two weeks ago.

Ordered item A from different Seller ABC to address in Cali a week ago.

Seller ABC  sees right address at checkout (Cali) but when label printing it commingles label on address to an older order and seller ships the item to Oregan.  eBay screws the seller out of their funds for their own quality assurance issues.  It used to be slow systems and poor search - now it has become outright non-functional systems. eBay's code base is so messy, even they don't have a clue what's going on anymore. Systems is running rogue.  This is also a privacy issue since seller XYZ can see my order address for a different item and seller. Maybe I should file a CCPA complaint.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

This "glitch" (soon to be policy?) extends the buyer's ship-your-return-by date to 30 business days from the acceptance of the return.

@bill.purvis2012 wrote:

I have one that received their item 9/1 and filed a return that day.

Ebay changed the notice and gave them until 10/15. What? 

From Wednesday, September 1, 2021 + 30 business days
Labor Day (Monday, September 6, 2021)
Columbus Day (Monday, October 11, 2021)
Result: Friday, October 15, 2021

@68barbie wrote:

I had a buyer open a case on Friday so I immediately accepted the return

When I looked at the case today it said the buyer had until October 25 to return the item

From Friday, September 10, 2021 + 30 business days
Result: Monday, October 25, 2021

@fcr51 wrote:

I got one yesterday 9-13 and checked and

they have to return by 10-26 !!!! Craziness right here

From Monday, September 13, 2021 + 30 business days

Result: Tuesday, October 26, 2021

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

I got two returns filed today 9/14

and it states eBay is giving the buyers until 10/27 to ship the item back on both of those returns.

From Tuesday, September 14, 2021 + 30 business days
Result: Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Message 15 of 17
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: