cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending A Return Time Frame

I sold an item recently... a pair of jeans. Buyer got them and opened a return... doesn't fit (but loves the jeans)

She opened the return December 7. No big deal. But this is what the return status shows:

"The buyer has until Dec 29 to ship the item back. If you choose to refund the buyer now, then the return will close and you shouldn't expect to receive the item."

Before pandemic, the buyer had like 5 days to send the item back. Why is it still like a 3 week return window as far as sending a return back POST pandemic? I understand when people were sick during the height of COVID, but, you know, why such a large window? Will this be something Ebay will adjust back?

I don't get that many returns (hardly any) so have not had to deal with this much. At least it is a remorse return. Ebay generated a return label and tracking shows buyer has not sent this out yet.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@pickermall  I've noticed discrepancies on return timelines too, but I think eBay is giving buyers the 30 days allowed. Just a guess on my part.

Don't know when the item was delivered to your buyer, so can't do the 30 day return window math.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Re-read my post. They got the item, opened a return quickly. Ebay is giving them 21 days to send it back

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@pickermall wrote:

Re-read my post. They got the item, opened a return quickly. Ebay is giving them 21 days to send it back

@pickermall   SORRY for trying to help, but ^ this is NOT what your post said ^

It says:

"I sold an item recently... a pair of jeans. Buyer got them and opened a return... doesn't fit (but loves the jeans)

She opened the return December 7."

Again, I apologize for trying to help you.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I'm very sorry if I didn't explain it right...

I'm just wondering why Ebay is giving the buyer 3 weeks to put this back in the mail to me

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@pickermall wrote:

I'm very sorry if I didn't explain it right...

I'm just wondering why Ebay is giving the buyer 3 weeks to put this back in the mail to me

@pickermall  I get it, I just didn't know that your buyer opened the return request the same day as rec'd, so now, it gets even more confusing 🙄 as usual 

Maybe reach out to their social media team?

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I don't know why they still give so long or if this is now the norm. It does seem awfully long.

You explained it quite clearly.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

my returner rec'd book 10/20 - filed return (book was too big LOL) 11/7 .. printed label same day and then had until 11/30 to mail it .....

the book wasn't THAT big ... so she had plenty of time to read it and reread it in that time period...

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Hi @pickermall 

I've been wondering myself why eBay hasn't changed the timeline for a return.  Perhaps it's because the pandemic hasn't been declared officially 'over' ... and I doubt it will ever be declared such.  [Some cities are reevaluating mask mandates and other types of pandemic 'precautions' ... and China is (or, at least, was) about to declare more 'lockdowns'.]

I haven't heard that eBay is ready to make any changes soon in whatever adjustments they made due to the pandemic ... including having a direct phone number to Customer Service.   😕

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Last Return I had offered the buyer like 'Forever + 1 Day'. I think it's gotten a bit shorter, but it's still too long.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Maybe Ebay is hoping that she either grows into them or losses weight!   Have you tried emailing the seller to please ship them back so that you can refund and then relist the jeans?  Do this ONLY if you want the jeans back. Otherwise,wait.  Maybe she will forget and the case will close out automatically.  I do agree that 3 weeks is too much time.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

@pickermall wrote:

She opened the return December 7. No big deal. But this is what the return status shows:

"The buyer has until Dec 29 to ship the item back. If you choose to refund the buyer now, then the return will close and you shouldn't expect to receive the item."

Before pandemic, the buyer had like 5 days to send the item back. Why is it still like a 3 week return window as far as sending a return back POST pandemic

@pickermall  I've noticed discrepancies on return timelines too, but I think eBay is giving buyers the 30 days allowed. Just a guess on my part.

Don't know when the item was delivered to your buyer, so can't do the 30 day return window math. 

Before the pandemic

-- buyers had 10 business days (2 weeks) plus 5 business days (1 week) to send their return. 

xaxa59_0-1670718632143.jpeg

Now, post pandemic

-- buyers have the same 3 weeks (21 days) to send their return.

Is that a discrepancy?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@xadexane 

That 2020 Spring update kind of coincides with the outbreak of COVID 19 here... I do remember previous to that, though, it was like 5 business days for the buyer to return an item. If they didn't, I could have Ebay step in and close it out. But this 21 day thing is way overboard.

It was like a $20 pair of jeans... not really hurting about it. In any case, I think 21 days or so is way too long for a buyer to send back a return.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@pickermall wrote:

@xadexane 

That 2020 Spring update kind of coincides with the outbreak of COVID 19 here... I do remember previous to that, though, it was like 5 business days for the buyer to return an item. If they didn't, I could have Ebay step in and close it out. But this 21 day thing is way overboard.

It was like a $20 pair of jeans... not really hurting about it. In any case, I think 21 days or so is way too long for a buyer to send back a return.

Actually, during the pandemic @pickermall buyers had 21 business days (which is about 29 calendar days) to mail the return label. And sellers had 5 business days (up from the 2 business days pre-pandemic) to refund the buyer after tracking shows that the return had been delivered back. 

xaxa59_0-1670780144596.jpeg

We now resume our regularly scheduled programming, already in progress

-- where buyers have the 15 business days to mail the return label,

-- and sellers have 2 business days to refund after return.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

The limit for returns is much longer than that in actuality: buyer has 30 days to open a return, then has another 21 days AFTER (if they in fact waited to the last day to open a return) which eBay will extend the buyer additional time up to 15 days more if they contact eBay. Then the delivery period of the return can be extended indefinitely as long as there are periodic scans. It’s a complete circus here. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: