cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly Community Chat, May 31st @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community 👋

Please join the Community team at 1 pm Pacific today for our weekly chat. We do not have a set topic this week so feel free to ask us your buying or selling questions or share what's on your eBay mind. 

For the last couple of weeks, we've been sharing a link to a survey that we're currently conducting regarding the weekly chat format. If you haven't yet taken the survey, please do so via this link.

Talk to you at 1 pm!

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

alan@ebay wrote:

@imagizeyourworld wrote:

The eBay message "bots" see an eBay item number as "contact information"; so -- in an effort to stop potential off-eBay transactions -- sellers are not permitted to point a potential buyer to an item listing ON EBAY. This is counter-productive, to say the least.

Can we expect a fix? And if so, when?

Thank you.

Hi @imagizeyourworld.

That doesn't sound good. Was it on this account that you received this message? I cannot say when a "fix" will happen as you've just brought this to our attention, but we'll alert the appropriate team. 

Thanks. 

Some time ago, this started with stand alone item numbers... such as when saying something like "you can find that listed as item number xxxx"; however, including the full URL was fine. As of last week, even when the full URL is included, the item number is still seen as a phone number and blocked. (Deleting the item number, but leaving the rest of the URL removes the warning message, so it's definitely still the number part that's the problem.)

Yes, it's happening on this account... but it's not just me; others have been complaining about it for quite some time (apparently just not here). It's my understanding that when other sellers have called CS, they've even been told it's working as intended, and that -- apparently by design -- the only way to send a potential buyer a link to an eBay item is to -- instead of replying to the ASQ -- go to their profile and use "contact member" to answer them.

... and that 1. makes no sense and 2. is not really acceptable. If a buyer asks a question, we should be able to reply with the (complete) answer... not jump through extra hoops and confuse them in the process, since the answer will not be linked to their original question.

Message 76 of 88
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

I am wondering if the mobile friendly checker tool is supposed to be available to everyone?  I have been using it for some time on my store ID.  My other ID just recently got switched to the new advanced listing tool, but  I wonder why the mobile friendly tool is not on it?

This tool is only available in the Quick Listing Tool, so would not be presented in the Advanced Tool you are using. You can always check your listings by visiting: http://www.ebay.com/tools/sell/mobile-friendly-test and inputting the item number for review.

Why in the world?? Makes no sense if you want all the listings to be mobile friendly.    Is the advanced tool automatically inserting the code? 

If you don't have HTML in your listings you won't need to add the meta tag code. Adding it will optomize the listing for the device the buyer is viewing it on (such as a phone vs. a tablet), but is not required. 

Trinton, html, meta smeta.........I know nothing except you people told us to run the test and do the fix on the listing.......so now you are saying the fix isn't available on the advanced form?  but it's not required???.......presuming we don't want to optimize the listing........  But what if we do........

Message 77 of 88
latest reply

If ebay is going to start deleting older listings, we need a tool that will show all our items, when they were listed, how many watchers were watching and the how many of a like item sold by other sellers. .
The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 78 of 88
latest reply

alan@ebay  wrote about Warnings in eBay Messaging about sharing personal content:

It's a deterrent. Notice of violations will be sent by email, seeing this message you're describing doesn't result in a policy violation. 

Great idea on deterent, might be effective on high risk - high value items whereby eBay raondomly monitors the trasnactions and advises both parties to that effect ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 79 of 88
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@imagizeyourworld wrote:

The eBay message "bots" see an eBay item number as "contact information"; so -- in an effort to stop potential off-eBay transactions -- sellers are not permitted to point a potential buyer to an item listing ON EBAY. This is counter-productive, to say the least.

Thank you.

Hi @imagizeyourworld.

That doesn't sound good. Was it on this account that you received this message? I cannot say when a "fix" will happen as you've just brought this to our attention, but we'll alert the appropriate team. 

Thanks.

alan@ebay...  This issue has been discussed in groups (CE).  eBay's bots have been a hit-or-miss menace for a week or so, now.  Smiley Tongue

Graciously grin when you growl...lion.gif

Message 80 of 88
latest reply

Locking the thread as the hour is now up. We'll answer any questions we haven't got to yet. 

Thanks for joining us! 

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 81 of 88
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
ebay recently changed Best Offer from 3 to 5 and in two categories 10 buyer offers. We have been told this is something some sellers requested.

OK, but how about this: Sellers who want to provide additional offers can opt in to 5 or 10 offers. Sellers who don't want more than three can stay with 3.

That would give those sellers what they want, and many other sellers what they want.

Think the team would consider that?

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! I can see how some sellers would benefit from the opt in option. While I can't guarantee that will be available, I appreciate the suggestion and will bring it up!

Message 82 of 88
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@labs118 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

I am wondering if the mobile friendly checker tool is supposed to be available to everyone?  I have been using it for some time on my store ID.  My other ID just recently got switched to the new advanced listing tool, but  I wonder why the mobile friendly tool is not on it?

This tool is only available in the Quick Listing Tool, so would not be presented in the Advanced Tool you are using. You can always check your listings by visiting: http://www.ebay.com/tools/sell/mobile-friendly-test and inputting the item number for review.

Wait Now I am really confused.
I use the SYI form not a quick listing tool & I have this mobile checker, here is one of my drafts now

mobile friendly checker.JPG

The SYI form is the older version of our Advanced Listing Tool. Sorry for the confusion!

Message 83 of 88
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@victorjunkman55 wrote:

Just when will MBG be fixed on listings ? 6 days now..................

Hi @victorjunkman55 - We don't have an exact timeframe but we do know it's a priority to be resolved. Be on the lookout for changes!

Message 84 of 88
latest reply

@imagizeyourworld wrote:

alan@ebay wrote:

@imagizeyourworld wrote:

Thank you.

Hi @imagizeyourworld.

Thanks. 

Some time ago, this started with stand alone item numbers... such as when saying something like "you can find that listed as item number xxxx"; however, including the full URL was fine. As of last week, even when the full URL is included, the item number is still seen as a phone number and blocked. (Deleting the item number, but leaving the rest of the URL removes the warning message, so it's definitely still the number part that's the problem.)

Yes, it's happening on this account... but it's not just me; others have been complaining about it for quite some time (apparently just not here). It's my understanding that when other sellers have called CS, they've even been told it's working as intended, and that -- apparently by design -- the only way to send a potential buyer a link to an eBay item is to -- instead of replying to the ASQ -- go to their profile and use "contact member" to answer them.

... and that 1. makes no sense and 2. is not really acceptable. If a buyer asks a question, we should be able to reply with the (complete) answer... not jump through extra hoops and confuse them in the process, since the answer will not be linked to their original question.

Thanks for the additional information, @imagizeyourworld. I'll share your examples with the appropriate team here to see if the filters can be improved. 

Message 85 of 88
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fern*wood wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

To my knowledge, I am not using the quick listing tool on my store ID.  I thought that form was limited in options and only allows for GTC listings.   It doesn't have a name anywhere, though.

I haven't looked at your link to see how to use that, but are you saying the handy checker tool can't be used when I list and I have to perform an action afterwards to comply with mobile visibility?  I don't understand why it isn't available for everyone when they list since it has been deemed to be important for buyers.

The form that only allows for GTC listings it the New Quick Listing Tool. Every seller would have access to a Quick and an Advanced listing format. I will suggest we add titles to the tools for conversations like this, as I think it would make it a lot simpler.

Happy to clarify that you won't need to use another tool as you only have to add the appropriate tag if you are using HTML. If you are using HTML, then add the meta tag. If you are not, then you don't need to do anything else. Check with the mobile checker tool is only necessary if you are uncertain as to if your listing is optimized for mobile. If you are not using HTML, then you are fine.

Message 86 of 88
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dhbookds wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

Why in the world?? Makes no sense if you want all the listings to be mobile friendly.    Is the advanced tool automatically inserting the code? 

If you don't have HTML in your listings you won't need to add the meta tag code. Adding it will optomize the listing for the device the buyer is viewing it on (such as a phone vs. a tablet), but is not required. 

Trinton, html, meta smeta.........I know nothing except you people told us to run the test and do the fix on the listing.......so now you are saying the fix isn't available on the advanced form?  but it's not required???.......presuming we don't want to optimize the listing........  But what if we do........

I think there has been some sort of misunderstanding - you won't need to run the checker on every listing you create going forward, you just have to know how your listings are formatted and take the appropriate steps. If you are using HTML, then you need to add the appropriate code which is included in the link I provided previously (http://www.ebay.com/tools/sell/mobile-friendly-test). If you are not using HTML, then you would not need to take any additional steps.

Message 87 of 88
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I was researching something when I ran across a very interesting article.  It states that Ebay is going to start removing our GTC listing that are a year old if they do not have a sale on the listing.  Ebay went on to say that the listing fee [if any] will not be credited to the seller if the listing violated policy.

That opens several questions for me.

Ebay is suppose to be a venue, what right does Ebay have to determine how long I may post a listing, any listing??

Does the word “remove” mean DELETE?  If so, that means we won’t even have access to revise the listing and repost it.  This will most certainly create a ton of unnecessary work for many sellers. 

What POLICY on Ebay would these listings be violating for the mere fact of their age?

Here is a link to the article I discovered on this subject.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2017/5/1496088624.html/3/40#comments

Hi @mam98031

Good questions! I am going to check in with a manager from our Trust & Safety team to get confirmation on these points. 

I'll update the thread as soon as I know more. 

Thanks. 

Hi @mam98031 & @my-cottage-books-and-antiques

We've shared more information via a Seller News article this evening. Here's a link.

Thank you. 

Message 88 of 88
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: