cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Oct 24th from 1:00 pm PDT - Managed Payments on eBay

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Sellers,

Join eBay’s Vikas Mehta who is leading the rollout of Payments in North America on our Community Chat. Get the latest update on how it’s all going, hear stories of seller success and have your questions answered. 

This chat thread will open for questions at 1 pm and it will close for new questions at 2 pm. 

Chat with you then! 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Community Chat, Oct 24th from 1:00 pm PDT - Managed Payments on eBay

@Anonymous wrote: 
For those of you who haven't seen it yet, we posted some information on how the program is going on https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/managed-payments/ 

I've had a wade through all the material at the link as best I can, but one item I have not seen addressed there was the concern over how a seller can do a small, incremental refund to a buyer (e.g. for a Shipping overpayment on a combined purchase) without upending the entire transaction by forcing the buyer to do a partial refund request, just to get his two bucks back. 

Is having the buyer make a refund request still the only way to make a minor payment correction on the transaction?

Message 31 of 66
latest reply

We pay eBy and PP fees on every sale now. When managed payments roll out site wide, PP will be an option to buyers and IF a buyer chooses PP you will pay those fees, 2.9% + $.30/tranaction. If they choose a CC, you'll pay that rate which is 2.7% and no transaction fee. 

Message 32 of 66
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @mam98031we understand that every situation is unique, and we have developed a path for sellers to flag any issues or raise concerns with our Customer Support team to determine the best path forward for their business.

Yes, that is understood, but mam98031 was asking if sellers will be allowed to opt out, which your answer seems to skirt. 

How does your CS know better what is best for the seller - especially if the sellers has determined that the program doesn't work fo them?  Would this be a , 'Well, perhaps it would be best to use a different platform', best path forwrd for their business?

Yes or no would be an acceptable answer, too.

Not to seem aggresssive on the subject, but the program has been under consideration, in the works and in action for long enough that there are a lot of questions that shouldn't be getting such obscure answers.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 33 of 66
latest reply

@clubred97 wrote:

We pay eBy and PP fees on every sale now. When managed payments roll out site wide, PP will be an option to buyers and IF a buyer chooses PP you will pay those fees, 2.9% + $.30/tranaction. If they choose a CC, you'll pay that rate which is 2.7% and no transaction fee. 

We currently pay eBay FVF, and PayPal transaction management fees.
In MP, we pay both of those PLUS eBay's own TMFs.
Doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

Message 34 of 66
latest reply

@clubred97 wrote:

No, it won't work that way.  While the buyer may be paying with PP, the money isn't going to go into the Seller's PP account.  It is going to go into the Managed Payment account for that seller.  No double dipping on fees will occur.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 35 of 66
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@labs118 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Sellers, Welcome to the community chat!  For those of you who haven't seen it yet, we posted some information on how the program is going on https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/managed-payments/  Look forward to our chat today.

So  from your link the seller Danny is saying best Sept 29th & 30th ever
I wonder why/how this can be.
How does being in the ebay managed payments improve one's sales ? 
Are they being offered better match in search ?
It is an odd statement/Post to think sales would improve that much just by switching to Ayden .

Hi @labs118, a goal behind managed payments is to drive more purchases through offering buyers more checkout options.  Some sellers are benefitting strongly with Apple Pay as a payment method, as well as the streamlined checkout experience

Message 36 of 66
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vrykalak wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@annasunicorns wrote:
Are you considering making this rollout optional? I understand the original plan was to insist we all eventually do it. But as a small seller, this mini run shows it would significantly increase the amount of work in accounting and cash flow on my end. Far and above what the savings would be per the calculator. $3 saved a month is not worth it at an extra 4 hours worth of work a month or 1 extra hour per week. Thats a very low estimate and does not include setup time or taxes. Just for the time factor, I would prefer to keep paypal permanently managing my money.

The roll out or launch WAS optional and still is optional.  The launch has already happened.  It is my understanding that more sellers will enter later next year after PP is accepted in the program.  This is a 3+ year roll out.  It isn't going to be manditory for quite a while yet.  I hope that helps.

So, when PayPal is allowed again, sellers will have to pay eBay's fees AND PayPal's fees on every sale?

Hi @vrykalak, no they wont have to pay PayPal fees.  The relationship going forward will only be with eBay who will manage seller fees across all forms of buyer payments.

Message 37 of 66
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

@clubred97 wrote:

This isn't completely accurate.  When MP affects your selling account, you will no longer get ANY payments directly into your PP account.  The buyer eventually will be able to pay with PP via the MP program, but that goes into your MP account, NOT your PP account.  

So you will still have FVFs paid to Ebay and a single payment processing fee paid to Ebay.

Message 38 of 66
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mendelsons wrote:

So why was PayPal excluded from the initial release of Managed Payments ?  PayPal made eBay into what it is today and to just abandon it seems suicidal to some of us sellers.  Not really understanding why its not being brought back into play for 9 months.  I'd be willing to try management payments but PayPal is a significant part of our business and my gut says no way.

Hi, @mendelsons, we know that many buyers on eBay are accustomed to paying with PayPal and that PayPal is important to have long-term. Offering PayPal in a managed model required a new integration for us, and we're working on it and expect to make PayPal available in summer 2019.

Message 39 of 66
latest reply

How is the managed payment system handling "unauthorized use" claims?  They always came through PayPal previously that had protections in place for the seller that shipped to the address provided by PayPal.  What is the procedure for managed payments.  I read up on what ebay is displaying, but this topic as well as any other seller protections from fradulent funds were not addressed.    

What EXACTLY is the procedure? 

Message 40 of 66
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

@clubred97 wrote:

This isn't completely accurate.  When MP affects your selling account, you will no longer get ANY payments directly into your PP account.  The buyer eventually will be able to pay with PP via the MP program, but that goes into your MP account, NOT your PP account.  

So you will still have FVFs paid to Ebay and a single payment processing fee paid to Ebay.

Are you saying that eBay will cover the PayPal fees if someone chooses to use PayPal to pay for a purchase?
I kinda find it hard to believe that PayPal will waive their transaction fees just because the transaction came from eBay.

Message 41 of 66
latest reply

If buyer abandons purchase at time of checkout due to not being aware that seller no longer accepts paypal is the seller made aware of that abandon purchase and able to open a UPID?

Message 42 of 66
latest reply

Dang that makes me think of another question.

When PP is accepted by MP, how will Ebay handle it when a buyer goes to PP and files a claim in PP that is within their 180 policy?  Will Ebay then be adopting a 180 day claim policy too?  Or will Ebay do something different?

Message 43 of 66
latest reply

Hi,
So, someone mentioned a bunch of extra work will be involved, how so?
Also can someone post a link to a listing that is currently using Managed payments? Just want to see what it looks like.

Message 44 of 66
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

@clubred97 wrote:

Are you saying that eBay will cover the PayPal fees if someone chooses to use PayPal to pay for a purchase?
I kinda find it hard to believe that PayPal will waive their transaction fees just because the transaction came from eBay.

Since the funds do NOT hit a seller's account in PP, there is NO payment processing fee as there is no payment being received by PP.  PP is ONLY issueing the payment for the buyer.  There is NO selling fee to cover.  PP isn't waiving anything as there is NO FEE for buyers to pay with PP.  There are only fees for RECEIVING money into PP as a seller.

Message 45 of 66
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: