cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, June 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brittanie@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: Community Chat, June 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@b4b4b4b wrote:

Awww Mams I have read your posts for years  🙂

You were so helpful .. sooooo helpful to sellers requesting help with Managed Payments since people just couldn't get any help at all.

Tammy

@b4b4b4b 

Oh VERY kind of you to say.  I certainly do try.  Not everyone appreciates it like you do, but I try to wade through all of that to the ones I am potentially helping.  Thank you again for the kind words, they are sincerely appreciated.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 81
latest reply

@carlqsportscards wrote:

Just want to double check that if I miss some newly required item specifics, and the listings don't renew, that they won't completely disappear. I will find them in unsold and can relist them after making the needed changes, correct?

@carlqsportscards - You are correct, they will follow regular guidelines for listings that are ended and will be in your unsold if we do not renew them. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 32 of 81
latest reply

Please explain this. same ID, one is from .com and 1 is from .ca.

.com

Basic Store Subscription – 1,000 Fixed Price Listings
Pay no insertion fees for 1,000 listings when eBay manages your payments.opens in a new window or tab

Start:Jun 1, 2021 at 12:00am PDT
End:Jul 1, 2021 at 12:00am PDT
Used/Left:1Promotional offers, 1 used, 999 left.opens in a new window or tab / 999
ebay.com
List auction-style FREE, up to 250 in select categories
Pay no insertion fee for 250 auction-style listings in collectible and fashion categories.opens in a new window or tab

Start:Jun 1, 2021 at 12:00am PDT
End:Jul 1, 2021 at 12:00am PDT
Used/Left:0Promotional offers, 0 used, 250 left. / 250

.ca

Basic Store Subscription – 350 Fixed Price Listings
Pay no insertion fees on 350 fixed price listings, including Good ‘Til Cancelled.opens in a new window or tab

Start:1 Jun 2021 at 0:00 EDT
End:1 Jul 2021 at 0:00 EDT
Used/Left:0Promotional offers—0 used, 350 left. / 350
ebay.ca, cafr.ebay.ca
List auction-style FREE, up to 250 in select categories
Pay no insertion fee for 250 auction-style listings in collectible and fashion categories.opens in a new window or tab

Start:1 Jun 2021 at 0:00 EDT
End:1 Jul 2021 at 0:00 EDT
Used/Left:0Promotional offers—0 used, 250 left. / 250
ebay.ca, cafr.ebay.ca

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 33 of 81
latest reply

On the subject of repetitive posts, I'm amazed by the recent flood of misinformation and paranoia being posted about Managed Payments. It's easy to get annoyed with sellers who haven't informed themselves about a program that started  2-3 years ago, but part of this problem stems from eBay's horrible rollout of MP. The poor communication, lack of transparency, and difficulties with getting customer support have all created a gap where rumors and wild theories can flourish.

I see many posters on  the selling board patiently trying to provide responsible information to sellers who are freaked out about joining MP. My question is, why hasn't eBay stepped up to help? Why not have knowledgeable reps come on the boards regularly to respond to some of the questions? At the very least, why not make information about Managed Payments easily accessible from the selling board? 

-----

Edit: A reply to your questions can be found here

Message 34 of 81
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

A recent post implied that some buyers may have received seller initiated coded coupons, but mistakenly thought they were for site- wide use, rather than confined to that seller's store. 

Perhaps the wording of the coupons could be changed to make it even more clear that the coupon is NOT good sitewide?

This is a great point @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - I'll make sure that this gets to the right team for consideration as a future enhancement!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 35 of 81
latest reply

brittanie@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

brian@ebay 

You answered my question last week about the Funko Pop Funkoween presale event in part by saying “We have realized some of the items being featured were against our policy and ended the event.”

It appears that eBay removed the banner ad on the main category page and killed the direct link to the event page, but has not ended many of the listings involved which are in violation of eBay Presale Policies and possibly FTC 30 Day Mailing Rules.

So eBay may have “ended the event” but did not address the real problem.

Just do a search for Funkoween - some are from previous years and the seller has them in hand and ready to ship, but many are still preorders from this year that are the same listings that were in the original event.

For example, these are two sold listings from the same seller both clearly in violation of eBay’s presale policies, sold a week after eBay was made aware of this issue.

sold6-7.jpg

sold6-7-2.jpg

What is eBay going to do if these buyers don’t get their items? Are they just going to be out hundreds of dollars because they won’t be covered by the MBG and may not be covered by PayPal/CC protections so far after purchase either?

@valueaddedresource Thanks for the follow up. This is something we escalated when we you first reported this and it got some good tracking with that team. If you're still seeing items that violate eBay policy, please use the 'Report item link' on the page to get it reviewed. The appropriate action will be taken from those reports. 

Thank you brittanie@ebay  - however, it is not an acceptable answer that unpaid users should have to do eBay's job here.  That team can easily find the listings through a search.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=funkoween&_sacat=0&LH_Tit...

They can also easily determine if the listings meet the following criteria under eBay's Presale Policies

Presale listings must guarantee that the item will be shipped within 30 days of purchase

The date the item will be available to ship must be clearly stated in the listing

Listings must clearly indicate in the title and description that the item is being offered for presale

There is absolutely zero excuse for eBay shirking responsibility for this issue.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 36 of 81
latest reply

brittanie@ebay wrote:

@b4b4b4b wrote:

Regarding stuff4diva's post, when someone clicks, looking for help with Ebay, of course speaking with Ebay or the like is the last option but rather Ebay sends people to these boards. Seems like so many of the posters here should get something, don't you think?  And NO, I am NOT talking about me.  I post very little here.   Just wondering.

@b4b4b4b - We're very proud of the heritage of Community. These boards started out as a peer-to-peer support community and has remained that way ever since. While we're not able to compensate posters on the board, we do want to make sure our mentors feel valued and taken care of.

Just my two cents as I've been a Mentor for quite a while now.  The team here, fondly known as the Chat Team have ALWAYS treated mentors with respect and are always willing to lend us a helping hand when we need it.

But being valued by Ebay as a company.  I can't say that has been a thing in the past.  Last year I was sent some goodies from Ebay and that is the FIRST time in all my years as a mentor that I received something from Ebay.

Tyler once had Ebay send be a backpack and I've put that to good use.

The team here recognizes our efforts, but Ebay as a company, not so much.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 37 of 81
latest reply

I've posted about this before. My customized Seller Hub "Shortcuts" all vanished the other day. They still have not been restored. These were all shortcuts that I have had for a long time, nothing really new. 

Am I supposed to continue waiting, or should I just assume all those shortcuts will be lost in time, like tears in rain?

-----

Edit: a reply to your question can be found here

Message 38 of 81
latest reply

@poddster wrote:

Should I reply to the original post or to the last poster to interact with this discussion?

If you're opening a topic of your own, do it by replying to the original post up top. If you're adding a comment on the topic of what someone else has posted about, then reply to the last poster on that subject. 

The point of doing it that way is that others can jump back up the discussion by clicking on the link in the heading of your post that shows who you are replying to (such as "In response to poddster" in my answer here).

Message 39 of 81
latest reply

@papermoney1948 wrote:

Why do I get constant HTML error and then post flooding?

@papermoney1948 - I'm sorry to hear you've been running into that. Khoros has identified this is a bug on their side and a fix is going to be implemented. We don't have a specific date for when the fix is going to roll out because it depends on some internal things for Khoros, but it is coming.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 40 of 81
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

brittanie@ebay wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

For quite awhile now, some ebay mentors are getting paid by LimitLess for their answers to posts, so very few of them bother to do it for free on the ebay mentor community platform, with very few exceptions, such as disney, comics and a few others. I get it, why do something for free if you can get paid instead.

But, this not only seems unfair to the community posters that need help and the few mentors that bother to show up to answer them, but is contradictory to the meaning of mentor (as I see it).

Is the partial meaning of mentor “only if I get paid for my wisdom will I answer”?

I feel too guilty to ignore the questions posted on the mentor platform when I see numerous 0 answers.

Even just this morning, after answering numerous mentor posts, I leave for maybe 10 minutes, come back and there are a whole new set of unanswered Q’s!

But I must admit, I start to feel overwhelmed at the lack of help and I do wind up having to take a day or 2 break.

Thank you for any input, 

stuff4divas

@stuff4divas - Thank you for bringing this up. We definitely don't want any of our mentors to become burnt out. Our focus for quarter three is going to be on the mentor program and making improvements. While I can't share specifics of what we're planning to do yet, this feedback does help us when reviewing where we'd like to see the program go and how we can grow and improve it. 

brittanie@ebay 

Currently being a Mentor has ZERO benefits of any kind.  I've always been a strong supporter that mentors should get concierge service because many times we are trying to help someone on the forums and we don't know the correct answer.  I firmly believe this should be something All Active Mentors should have access to.  Not mentors that don't meet some basic thresholds.  Some mentors are mentors in name only.  They don't participate on threads or in the Ask a Mentor forum.  Just my observation.

But having access to concierge service would only make us stronger.

@mam98031 - Thank you for the feedback! This will definitely be our focus and we're excited to see what kind of changes we can get done.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 41 of 81
latest reply

Thanks Tyler. 

Message 42 of 81
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

The deadline for the end of the Everything Else>Adult Category is fast approaching. It is obvious there is still a lot of confusion about exactly what sort of mature content is allowed in categories such as Art, Books, etc. The stated ebay Policy sheds little light on this. I had previously asked that the team responsible for this change be asked to come to the Weekly Discussion. I believe that would still be helpful. No one wants to run afoul of the new rules, but it seems inevitable that some will because the rules are so unclear. 

So, any chance of this happening? In the interests of transparency and fairness? 

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - I'd like to see an expert join us for that kind of discussion as well. 

I haven't had luck yet, but will ask again. From a full transparency standpoint I'm not sure if it will happen, but haven't been told an outright 'No', so I think it's still a possibility!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 43 of 81
latest reply

Thank you for the help (this is my first time here)

Message 44 of 81
latest reply

I figured out a work around.

Prior to posting on these boards, copy everything you want to add into notebook, save it, then open your reply and copy the notepad information, None of Ebay's messy HTML to deal with.

Message 45 of 81
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: