cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, June 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brittanie@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: Community Chat, June 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@creativecrisis wrote:

On the subject of repetitive posts, I'm amazed by the recent flood of misinformation and paranoia being posted about Managed Payments. It's easy to get annoyed with sellers who haven't informed themselves about a program that started  2-3 years ago, but part of this problem stems from eBay's horrible rollout of MP. The poor communication, lack of transparency, and difficulties with getting customer support have all created a gap where rumors and wild theories can flourish.

I see many posters on  the selling board patiently trying to provide responsible information to sellers who are freaked out about joining MP. My question is, why hasn't eBay stepped up to help? Why not have knowledgeable reps come on the boards regularly to respond to some of the questions? At the very least, why not make information about Managed Payments easily accessible from the selling board? 

Hi @creativecrisis - we're working to get payments information more available to members on Community by using the 'Get Started' and 'Featured Posts' boxes on the Payments board (link here). We haven't been successful in getting members from the Payments team to proactively respond on the boards, but they are giving us regular content that should address common FAQs. Those posts will be highlighted in the 'Featured Posts' box, and live on the resources board here

As a team, brittanie@ebaybrian@ebay  and myself are working on a larger plan to address misinformation when it comes to payments being managed by eBay, but that hasn't been implemented quite yet. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 61 of 81
latest reply

@creativecrisis wrote:

On the subject of repetitive posts, I'm amazed by the recent flood of misinformation and paranoia being posted about Managed Payments. It's easy to get annoyed with sellers who haven't informed themselves about a program that started  2-3 years ago, but part of this problem stems from eBay's horrible rollout of MP. The poor communication, lack of transparency, and difficulties with getting customer support have all created a gap where rumors and wild theories can flourish.

I see many posters on  the selling board patiently trying to provide responsible information to sellers who are freaked out about joining MP. My question is, why hasn't eBay stepped up to help? Why not have knowledgeable reps come on the boards regularly to respond to some of the questions? At the very least, why not make information about Managed Payments easily accessible from the selling board? 

One or two crystal-clear sticky topics might help (e.g. "If you're honked-off about Managed Payments, please read this first"). A lot of what makes responding so tiresome is that we're doing this one person at a time, day-in and day-out, and there's nothing resembling an FAQ to intercept even the most basic of objections. 

Speaking of which, there really seem to be very few different complaints, but the same few posted over and over, and of those, I would say the Number One misconception is that sellers have to wait for money to hit their account before they can pay for the Shipping label. Few seem to know that they can change their funding source to pay from the buyer's pending funds in eBay, but think that they still have to carry a balance in PayPal for this, or otherwise front the postage money from somewhere else. 

A different variation of this is the conviction that although eBay is telling them that the buyer has paid and it's time to ship, there's no way on God's Green Earth that they're going to do that until the money hits their bank, apparently concerned that eBay might never deliver the funds, or will snatch the money back, etc. Again, it would help, at least a little, for eBay to post a reassurance (in clear English, not Marketing euphemisms) stating that the money really is on the way, the seller really has been paid, etc.

Most Common Objection Number Two has got to be the reaction to eBay's request/demand/threat that the seller submit their Social Security Number (or at least the last four digits). This needs waaaay more clarification over who needs it and why. This is usually combined with stories about how eBay has been hacked seventeen times since breakfast, or that the data is getting sent to a foreign country, and so on. It's easy to see the tinfoil hats in some postings, but nevertheless there is an underlying understandable concern being expressed that eBay is just not handling very well on an official basis, and especially not in the discussion groups where all these complaints are occurring.

Message 62 of 81
latest reply

I have done that and they are less useful than roadkill as everything is from the US perspective and Canada does not seem to fit in at all.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 63 of 81
latest reply

Yes, eBay has really failed in their education efforts on MP.

It's all marketing speak. No recognition  that in some cases people's whole online selling experience has been eBay and PP. They have no idea how CC payments and merchant accounts work.

And since eBay has been so eBay will now manage your payments ( they never ever should have called it eBay managed Payments. eBay is in fact not managing your payments) it makes people feel like eBay is asking for all this information, delaying processing etc. When in fact its a banking regulation

eBay should have understood the significance of the change for many sellers and addressed that head on:

We know for some of you this is a big change and there will be growing pains. Many of you have relied on PP for you entire eBay experience...

Message 64 of 81
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Just my two cents as I've been a Mentor for quite a while now.  The team here, fondly known as the Chat Team have ALWAYS treated mentors with respect and are always willing to lend us a helping hand when we need it.

But being valued by Ebay as a company.  I can't say that has been a thing in the past.  Last year I was sent some goodies from Ebay and that is the FIRST time in all my years as a mentor that I received something from Ebay.

Tyler once had Ebay send be a backpack and I've put that to good use.

The team here recognizes our efforts, but Ebay as a company, not so much.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you mam about the mentors who have taken their personal time out to answer posts, which, of course is part of the meaning of being a mentor.

I rec'd those gifts too! And thought, how nice to be appreciated 😍 

(still not sure what to do with those gigantic dominos, any suggestions?) LOL

We here in the Community, especially those such as you who have persevered all these years helping others is what gives eBay a Heart and Soul.

As a business, eBay obviously has to make $$ so we can all be here to work, sell and or buy, but when they did that eBay employees purge some years back, it was worrisome bc a lot of those employees were like us, long haulers with mega knowledge.

I do hope they give us mentors that concierge service.

And remember when eBay had a TRS dedicated department with its own phone number to call for our 'situations'?

I donated them to someone that had a bunch of kids to take care of during the pandemic.  They loved them.

That TRS team was FANTASTIC.  VERY well trained people.  I found them so valuable and was really sad when we lost that benefit as TRS.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 65 of 81
latest reply

OMG OMG OM G I am sooooooooooooooooooo sorry, I just found out the purse scam ad was on Facebook !  Please forgive me 😞 😞 😞 😞

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 66 of 81
latest reply

@poddster wrote:

Should I reply to the original post or to the last poster to interact with this discussion?

@poddster - Welcome to the weekly chat! We're so happy you could join us! As I'm sure you noticed @a_c_green gave great information on how the chat works here. If you have any further questions let us know!

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 67 of 81
latest reply

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining the chat this week! It's now closed from further questions, but we will continue working through to make sure they're all addressed. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 68 of 81
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

brittanie@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

brian@ebay 

You answered my question last week about the Funko Pop Funkoween presale event in part by saying “We have realized some of the items being featured were against our policy and ended the event.”

It appears that eBay removed the banner ad on the main category page and killed the direct link to the event page, but has not ended many of the listings involved which are in violation of eBay Presale Policies and possibly FTC 30 Day Mailing Rules.

So eBay may have “ended the event” but did not address the real problem.

Just do a search for Funkoween - some are from previous years and the seller has them in hand and ready to ship, but many are still preorders from this year that are the same listings that were in the original event.

For example, these are two sold listings from the same seller both clearly in violation of eBay’s presale policies, sold a week after eBay was made aware of this issue.

sold6-7.jpg

sold6-7-2.jpg

What is eBay going to do if these buyers don’t get their items? Are they just going to be out hundreds of dollars because they won’t be covered by the MBG and may not be covered by PayPal/CC protections so far after purchase either?

@valueaddedresource Thanks for the follow up. This is something we escalated when we you first reported this and it got some good tracking with that team. If you're still seeing items that violate eBay policy, please use the 'Report item link' on the page to get it reviewed. The appropriate action will be taken from those reports. 

Thank you brittanie@ebay  - however, it is not an acceptable answer that unpaid users should have to do eBay's job here.  That team can easily find the listings through a search.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=funkoween&_sacat=0&LH_Tit...

They can also easily determine if the listings meet the following criteria under eBay's Presale Policies

Presale listings must guarantee that the item will be shipped within 30 days of purchase

The date the item will be available to ship must be clearly stated in the listing

Listings must clearly indicate in the title and description that the item is being offered for presale

There is absolutely zero excuse for eBay shirking responsibility for this issue.

@valueaddedresource - Thanks for your input. I obviously don't want you to feel obligated to go through and report items, but the correct process for when you see something that violates policy is to report it so it gets to the correct. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 69 of 81
latest reply

@b4b4b4b wrote:

Sorry with me entering all these posts.  I'm sure I will be 99% done after today, the first time I have posted in this "chat." 

I have been with Ebay about 20 years.  I soooo appreciate Ebay SELLERS and I so dislike what they have to go through (no details) ... I have off and on read the forums for so many years.    

Why does Ebay expect people here to report ie Funko products ??     I mean Ebay, when things appeared in the news had no trouble removing 9/11 debris (ok sad example but yeah it happened), Confederate related items ie flags, etc., certain Dr. Seuss books  ......... and Covid items, ie hand sanitizer etc etc.    I am NOOOOOOO computer expert but no doubt your computers with very little program can instantly pull up listings with certain key word(s).    How about doing the same thing with Funko ???    I mean geez, if buyer(s) buy this Funko "stuff" before someone reports a listing, and never gets it, will Ebay refund them ???? That question wasn't answered.  

OK I'm out.  I will see myself out today !!

Hi @b4b4b4b - we review and remove listings in violation daily, but there are always more that crop up. That's why we'd encourage you to report items that you believe to be in violation of our policies. Working together we can make eBay a better platform for everyone. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 70 of 81
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Tyler, Well, I'll keep hoping. There's a lot of vintage "adult" stuff that , in today's world, is pretty tame, but it is collectible. A lot of sellers would like to continue selling it here, but I suspect ebay is driving away some stuff that probably qualifies as permissible....that could be avoided with a little help from the team...

Agreed @my-cottage-books-and-antiques I'm hopeful we can get someone from policy to at least come through to address those types of items specifically, and the larger 'Can I list these' and 'where do I list these now?' kind of questions.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 71 of 81
latest reply

@glasser wrote:

Don't know if you all saw this discussion

Re: What plans have you made to shut down eBay in ... - Page 2 - The eBay Community

Seems like some eBay information on this topic (if it doesn't already exist) could be good. 

Hi @glasser - definitely a useful thread to review, I'll get eyes on it when I'm finished here.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 72 of 81
latest reply

@b4b4b4b wrote:

OMG OMG OM G I am sooooooooooooooooooo sorry, I just found out the purse scam ad was on Facebook !  Please forgive me 😞 😞 😞 😞

Hi @b4b4b4b - you're just fine, stuff like that can be confusing sometimes. Glad it's not on our site! 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 73 of 81
latest reply

@papermoney1948 wrote:

Please explain this. same ID, one is from .com and 1 is from .ca.

.com

Basic Store Subscription – 1,000 Fixed Price Listings
Pay no insertion fees for 1,000 listings when eBay manages your payments.opens in a new window or tab

Start:Jun 1, 2021 at 12:00am PDT
End:Jul 1, 2021 at 12:00am PDT
Used/Left:1Promotional offers, 1 used, 999 left.opens in a new window or tab / 999
ebay.com
List auction-style FREE, up to 250 in select categories
Pay no insertion fee for 250 auction-style listings in collectible and fashion categories.opens in a new window or tab

Start:Jun 1, 2021 at 12:00am PDT
End:Jul 1, 2021 at 12:00am PDT
Used/Left:0Promotional offers, 0 used, 250 left. / 250

.ca

Basic Store Subscription – 350 Fixed Price Listings
Pay no insertion fees on 350 fixed price listings, including Good ‘Til Cancelled.opens in a new window or tab

Start:1 Jun 2021 at 0:00 EDT
End:1 Jul 2021 at 0:00 EDT
Used/Left:0Promotional offers—0 used, 350 left. / 350
ebay.ca, cafr.ebay.ca
List auction-style FREE, up to 250 in select categories
Pay no insertion fee for 250 auction-style listings in collectible and fashion categories.opens in a new window or tab

Start:1 Jun 2021 at 0:00 EDT
End:1 Jul 2021 at 0:00 EDT
Used/Left:0Promotional offers—0 used, 250 left. / 250
ebay.ca, cafr.ebay.ca

@papermoney1948 - It looks like these are the offerings for the Basic Stores on eBay.com and eBay.ca. Our store benefits vary by site. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 74 of 81
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

I've posted about this before. My customized Seller Hub "Shortcuts" all vanished the other day. They still have not been restored. These were all shortcuts that I have had for a long time, nothing really new. 

Am I supposed to continue waiting, or should I just assume all those shortcuts will be lost in time, like tears in rain?

If they haven't restored by now @my-cottage-books-and-antiques, I'm afraid it's a Unicorn dream situation. 

I'll get your profile submitted to them to see if there's anything they can do!  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 75 of 81
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: