cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, April 18th from 1pm Pacific - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Please join The Community Team here on Wed April 18th at 1 pm Pacific for a one hour Q&A chat. We do not have a set topic, so please share your buying & selling questions.

Chat with you then sunglasses

*Keep in mind the Community’s Rules of Engagement when you post. Non-constructive/disrespectful posts will be removed by our moderation team so that the thread can focus on a productive discussion. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Community Chat, April 18th from 1pm Pacific - General Topics

@vrykalak wrote:

alan@ebay wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

An item @tunicaslot brought up last week:
---

In looking at a couple of my NWT items - in which I put in the UPC code - I see a blue link saying that 3 other items are available with a starting price of $18.00 - $4.00 below my price - thus directing buyers to shop one of these other sellers.

As a buyer - I can appreciate saving a few dollars - but as a seller - you are directing them away from a listing that I've pd for. It's like mall management standing outside of one store and directing it's customers to another store because they have the same items ad are running a sale. It's really not the mall management's business to direct customers away from one store and promote another. Ebay would be receiving a bit more in FVFs if a buyer purchases my item vs one that is selling for less. If this is the future of things - even tho I've been here 20 yrs. - my NWT items may be put elsewhere. I don't want to do this but it will be a race to the bottom if Ebay continues to do this and not many of us can afford or will accept that loss here.

---

?

Hi @vrykalak,

What's your question?

Why is eBay doing this? deliberately trying to turn buyers away from a listing they have called up?

I think it's pretty obvious why we would give buyers visibility into prices on the marketplace. The post mentions: "As a buyer - I can appreciate saving a few dollars"

Thanks.

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 61 of 64
latest reply

@labs118 wrote:

Yes coins brought up this return item button last week

There is the new purchase history & old purchase history pages
see 2 below screen shots.

Why are some of my items showing with a Big Blue Return item button & some Leave feedback button?

I thought at first it was because the 2nd item on my screen shot was over 30 days so outside ebay MBG or return policy  so I could just leave feedback  but if you look at the date it isn't.
So why Leave feedback on some, Return item on others?

What is the reason

Old purchase history 

purchase history 4-18.JPG

New

purchase history new 3 4-18.JPG

Hi @labs118 - thanks for the screenshots of this! I addressed some of this in post 55 (link here).

When it comes the criteria I don't have a specific answer, but initially it looks like it's based on the month that the items were purchased in. I'll see if I can find out any more!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 62 of 64
latest reply

Thank you all for joining! The chat is now closed. We'll see you back here same time next week. 

Message 63 of 64
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Recently some sellers noticed that ebay had added wording to their Fixed price with best offer listings (shown below the price) to the effect that "seller does not respond to offers"

A blue told us this was part of a test, and was added only if a seller had a history of not responding within 24 hours to best offers.

A few questions:

1. ebay policy is sellers have 48 hours to respond. Why would this test use 24 hours (especially with no prior notice to sellers that ebay considers anything longer than 24 hours to be unresponsive)?

2. Why would ebay misinform buyers and tell them the seller does not respond to offers at all, when in fact the seller does respond, just not within the 24 hour time frame the test utilizes?

3. I've always assumed the ebay-supplied messages in this section of our listings were there to help us make sales. How does this message help a seller make a sale?

4. What EXACTLY was the purpose of this test?  To see whether ebay could chase buyers away from the seller? Seriously, what was the point (or is the point, if this is still ongoing)?

5. Should we expect that ebay will be changing the best offer rules in the near future, reducing the time frame requirements to respond? Will failure to respond within a certain period of time be held against sellers?

Hoping you can clear this up for me.

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques, happy to add some clarification on this:

1. While you do have 48 hours to respond before the offer expires, most of our Sellers who utilize this feature respond much more quickly and the general expectation from Buyers is a faster response as well. 

2. We want to set realistic expectations for our Buyers and with an average of more than 24 hours before responding we find that buyers have often times moved on to another option.

3. Notices of Best-Offer response time encourage use of this feature and will improve sales for responsive sellers while enhancing the buyer experience, encouraging frequent use of eBay and increased traffic overall.

4. To promote use of the Best Offer feature, increase sales for our sellers for individual listings and through buyers returning to eBay after having a positive experience, thus creating more sales.

5. We regularly run tests on the site geared towards increasing the buyer and seller experience on the site, and these tests are typically unrelated to updates to our expectations. If changes are made to what we ask of our sellers, this will be clearly communicated in advance.

Message 64 of 64
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: