cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay keeps wanting to verify javascript

For the last several days I keep getting the following message when I go to log into ebay. The browser never reloads automatically and I never get the pop up to confirm. I have to reload manually but there is no pop up to confirm.

eBay requires that all visitors be running JavaScript. This page is validating your browser's JavaScript engine and functionality.

Your web browser will automatically reload shortly and you will receive a pop-up asking you to confirm your form submission again. Confirming the form submission again will allow you to continue to visit eBay without further incident.

If the page doesn't automatically attempt to reload, please do so manually.

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: ebay keeps wanting to verify javascript

I have been experiencing the same problem, with the consequence that I could only log in to my ‘e-bay’ a/c through ebay.com, which resulted in prices being displayed in $ and my location being set to North America.

I tried the work around suggested above by “eburtonlab”. Brilliant!

- At least until further “improvements” by ‘e-bay’ stop that working as well.

I suspect that the origin of this issue is that e-bay developers now aim primarily at the Smartphone platform and do not test thoroughly on others.

I did try speaking with e-bay support about this and they tried to be helpful, but really did not understand the problem.

Message 31 of 57
latest reply

Me 2
Message 32 of 57
latest reply

Firefox keeps asking to confirm the submission. It's like a cat chasing its tail in a circle.

Message 33 of 57
latest reply

I don’t know what’s going on, I got the same exact message over and over and I’m using the latest update on my iPhone 7, (Safari). I cleared cache and cookies,  but still. Has anyone found a solution??

Message 34 of 57
latest reply

@evil_scre_0 

Have you verified that javascript is enabled in your browser?

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/is-javascript-enabled

You should also check to make sure you have the latest version of your browser:

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

Have you tried a different browser?

If you are signing in to ebay.com, try using a different sign in page, such as this:

https://www.ebay.com/signin/?sgn=reg&siteid=0&co_partnerId=0&UsingSSL=1&rv4=1

Message 35 of 57
latest reply

Woah. Dude, you’re a genius! Thank you so much, everything was all up to date and I got my order in! My god thank you! 

Message 36 of 57
latest reply

Hi

unfortunately I seem to be encountering the same problem. I have tried both the mobile app and also web browser(s). I tried both safari and chrome. Both browsers are up to date. Following your previous posts I also checked java script which seems to be running fine too. 

I am trying to access the UK site.

any help would be appreciated.

thank you

Message 37 of 57
latest reply

@aimedora_0 

Try an alternative sign-in link:

https://signin.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn

https://www.ebay.co.uk/signin/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/signin/?sgn=reg&siteid=3&co_partnerId=0&UsingSSL=1&rv4=1&regUrl=https%3A%2F%2...

Have you tried using the eBay app?

If all else fails, try signing in to ebay.ie instead.

Message 38 of 57
latest reply

I started having problems again a few days ago. Now as of today I can't log into either account. At first I could log into one account earlier but then when I logged out of it I was unable to log into my other account or log back into the one account that I was able to log into. It just keeps wanting to verify the javascript and every time I try to do it manually it keeps bringing me back to wanting to verify javascript. I reloaded ebay and clicked on the community section and then tried logging in from there and it initially wanted to verify javascript but I was finally able to log in. This is on firefox. I am having the same problem with google chrome and with google chrome I cannot log into one of my accounts at all. It keeps telling me I have the wrong password even though it is correct. This is getting beyond frustrating. Can someone please help. There is no way to contact ebay about this situation. My browsers and javascript are all up to date. I don't know what else to do.

Message 39 of 57
latest reply

Now it is giving me trouble on the one account with my password when trying to log in with firefox. I had to rest it and was finally able to log in. I logged out and tried logging back in and it did the same thing. I tired to log in again without resetting my password and was able to get in. This is just all crazy.

Message 40 of 57
latest reply

@howlingmacy 

The easiest thing to do is get another browser, and use a separate browser for each account to minimize signing in and out -- if security is not an issue, just stay signed in to each account.

If you like Firefox or Chrome and do not want to use a totally different browser, you may be able to install a different version such as Firefox Developer or Firefox Nightly, or Chrome Beta. Those will install alongside your current browser without sharing any common files or changing your current setup, and allow you to experiment or try a clean slate approach.

Do you have any script blocker add-ons? Try disabling your add-ons. Look for any icons in the address bar near the sign in page URL. Sometimes an icon there can indicate something that is being blocked from running. Try turning off enhanced tracker blocking if that is on, as that can interfere with signing in.

If a private or incognito browser window allows you to sign in then the problem is likely related to your browser cache or eBay cookies. Try deleting your browser cache ("for all time" if that is an option) and possibly your eBay cookies.

Here are my general recommendations for users having difficulty signing in (sorry if some of this duplicates what I have already said):

How are you signing in? Using a bookmark? If so, you may need to update it.

If you go to the ebay.com page and use the sign-in link it will send you here:

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn

Almost all of the sign-in links I have seen send you to the same page, or an alternate page that looks the same:

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn2

or possibly this:

https://www.ebay.com/signin/?sgn=reg&siteid=0

Try each of those links to see if one of these links works better for you if you are having difficulty signing in; if so, bookmark whichever link works best for future use and please follow up to let others know, as many other users are having difficulty signing in recently.

Do not give up immediately if you get a second verification page, in some cases you may need to get through two puzzle sliders or a puzzle plus one or two obfuscated number entries to sign in.

Other things that can interfere with signing in:

Sometimes when eBay changes the sign-in process, it causes problems for some users; sometimes those problems are due to using an old browser or obsolete cookies (though not always). Some users are just annoyed by verification; while others actually get stuck in a loop that just keeps presenting new sign-in pages or new verification pages, or just will not let them sign in at all.

Make sure you are allowing the sign-in page to load completely before attempting to sign in -- users have indicated that attempting to sign in before the page has loaded can cause problems.

Make sure your browser is set to accept cookies. Try another browser or another device, or a private or incognito browser session. If you delete your cookies, you will likely have to sign in and go through strict verification again, but if you have problems with a blocked or corrupt cookie, manually deleting your eBay cookies can help. Some browsers seem to require more verification than others; try signing in and out more than once to see if it requires verification the second time around.

Make sure your browser has javascript enabled:

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/is-javascript-enabled

VPNs can also cause sign-in issues, so try disabling yours if you use one and are encountering problems.

If you get a verification slider puzzle that has no background, there are three options below the slider -- close the pop-up, reload the pop-up, or try an alternative audio version that requires entering numbers that are read aloud.

If you are able to sign in, to stay signed in there is a "keep me signed in" checkbox on the sign-in page, but there is another checkbox in your account site preferences -- it might be worth checking that setting, or unchecking, saving, rechecking and saving again. That is, if you want to stay signed in and avoid having to go through verification.

If you have successfully signed in using Google or Facebook before, try that again -- the sign in process using those may have different dependencies and may work better for you. But if you have not signed in using those before make sure you do not accidentally create a new eBay account when you attempt to sign in.

If you get really stuck, try signing in to ebay.ca or ebay.co.uk or using the eBay app on your phone -- that may allow you to do most non-listing or non-selling related activities.

Message 41 of 57
latest reply

I ran into the same issue on FireFox and Internet Explorer. I then switched over to my android phone and used Chrome. The issue resolved and  I was able to access the page.

Message 42 of 57
latest reply

Have you been able to access your account on a computer, like a desktop or laptop? My phone is too small for me to be looking at ebay for too long on it. I need to do it form my computer. Today I have been able to log into the one account that was giving me trouble last night, not only with the endless javascript but my password too. The javascript verification didn't even pop up. I'm going to try my other account now.

Message 43 of 57
latest reply

As of today, I'm having the same problem......no longer able to sign into my eBay account via my newer iMac.  The message I’m getting is: Validating JavaScript Engine and it says I need to be running JavaScript (which I verified that I am).  Never had any issues in the past.  I disabled Ad Block, cleared cache and cookies, and restarted twice to no avail.  I’m using Safari (13.0.5) by the way.  I have a lot of of items listed and can only sell efficiently from my computer so it's beyond frustrating.  Trying to get a hold of a live eBay representative over the phone is a maddening exercise in futility.  Arrrrgh!

Message 44 of 57
latest reply

I disabled adblock last night too but that didn't work. I was finally able to get my password rest on the one account it was giving me problems with along with the endless javascript thing. And somehow I was finally able to get back into both accounts. I didn't do anything. So far today I have not had the message pop up wanting to verify javascript when I I went to log in. Everything has been back to normal today. Not sure how long it will last though. If you get any help from someone with ebay, please post it here if it works for you. Thanks.

Message 45 of 57
latest reply