cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it eBay telling me have an outdated browser when my browser is current and up to date??

Why does eBay sends me a message that my browser is outdated, when it's the latest version, secure, and up to date???

"We noticed that you’re on an outdated web browser that may compromise your security as you shop online.
As of June 19, 2018 you will no longer be able to check out on eBay with your current browser."

I already dropped my eBay spending about 85% due to horrible search results and most of good sellers leaving, do they want to lose another paying customer???

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Why is it eBay telling me have an outdated browser when my browser is current and up to date??

@jlittle5775 wrote:
Automatic updater is still broken for SeaMonkey. Current version is 2.49.3. Download from here https://www.seamonkey-project.org/ and to meet PCI Compliance requirements under Edit>Preferences>Privacy & Security>SSL/TLS make sure TLS 1.0 is unchecked.

Ding, Ding, Ding!  We have a winner!  I thought I had turned that off long ago but it was on.  Turning off TLS 1.0 allows passing of the browser check test.  At least theis means they were testing for functionality rather than user-agent name.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Re: Why is it eBay telling me have an outdated browser when my browser is current and up to date??

@berserkerplanet wrote:

"You may need to update your browser: You will not be able to access your PayPal account using an outdated browser after June 30th. See if you need to update your browser."

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-check-and-update-my-web-browser-faq3893

Check the list of browsers that PayPal SAYS they will be supporting. That's probably why eBay sent the notification.

The stupid thing with the PP one is that I used their handy dandy link and supposedly ALL my browsers are just fine, yet I STILL keep getting the warning every time I log in and now I can log in but not actually do anything, like get links to work and open pages on IE.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

The site is experiencing a lot of issues lately.  Ebay has been changing the site and things are impacted by that.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

I’ve got an a phone with latest version of Firefox. Still get the message from Ebay to update it. Firefox is updated at least monthly 

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:

Why is it eBay telling me have an outdated browser when my browser is current and up to date? 

"You may need to update your browser: You will not be able to access your PayPal account using an outdated browser after June 30th. See if you need to update your browser."

eBay did not tell you that you had an outdated browser.

eBay said you may have an outdated browser, and asked you to check.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

Because ebay is glitching real bad lately and has to keep reminding the users that it's all their fault and not ebays.

(*Bleep*)
Message 21 of 27
latest reply

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

alan@ebay

dead thread.....

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Hi @dhbookds,

The thread is less than 6 months old, so we won't be archiving it. 

Thank you. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

my browser IS up to date (google chrome) but I still get the message

time to shop elsewhere I think

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

Is there still no solution for this?

I am unable to pay for items using the latest version of Chrome (which is in the list of recommended browsers). 
This is stupidity. 

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 27 of 27
latest reply