cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresponsive script in watch list and purchase history.

Keep getting an unresponsive script message in my watch list and purchase history list.  Any help?  Here is the script:  Script: https://secureir.ebaystatic.com/rs/c/templates-js-18f92b.js:7

Message 1 of 112
latest reply
111 REPLIES 111

Re: Unresponsive script in watch list and purchase history.

@buddy2008cat wrote:

Thank You Trinton! It may not be ideal to have 9 to 11 pages of orders but at least I can view them and see if any items are missing! I can finally see my invoices! This set up works and I would rather have 10 pages then not be able to view but 5 items. So Thank You for helping! Hopefully tech will find the issue and fix it soon but for now I'm very Happy!!! 

Buddy2008cat

Trinton, you have my thanks as well.  My purchase history now works. 

Message 76 of 112
latest reply

Trinton@ebay

Thank you so much for "fixing" my purchase history page so it is viewable and usable! Having 25 items per page is better than not being able to use the page at all!

Have a great weekend!

Diane

Message 77 of 112
latest reply

(no apologies for duplicating this comment into several threads)

Can we put one lame excuse to bed forever please.
eBay is regularly telling us that it's our browser or our operating system, etc.
That is all nonsense! and it's easy to prove.

For example...
on eBay.com.au I have been experiencing many of the faults described in these forums
e.g., unresponsive script on  watch list and purchase history list
and now items, found in searches, cannot display the item listing.
In effect, completely unusable.

When experiencing those glitches, I have access to Windows 10, Windows 7 and Windows XP and access to browse using Edge, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.
The glitches are there an ALL platforms! ALL browsers!

And then to put the nail firmly into eBay's coffin,
when I try to view the exact same listings found via ebay.com instead of via eBay.com.au they display correctly on eBay.com and not at all on eBay.com.au

So, for once and for all, eBay please...
- stop blaming the users' systems
- stop offering hopeless inadequate work-arounds
- get your act together to solve the professionally pathetic systems management at your end.

Above all - just be honest - accept where the blame really lies.

Message 78 of 112
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@margarenisa_0 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@genesispm2012 wrote:
Got this same problem - watch list freezes , over a month, EBAY PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM , is not working, what is going on, maybe any explanation to users for something.

@scd_collectibles@genesispm2012@slotqueen5x, and @aquajoe07011 I apologize I did not mention this in my last post, but I also lowered the number of items on your respective watch list to 25 and confirmed there was no error any longer. Since the watch list page has only the one section to display, I thought that it could handle a slightly higher default than othe Purchase History sections. Definitely keep me posted if there are any continued issues, I'm more than happy to work on a solution with you all or anyone else running into problems.

So I tried this and it works like a charm- it makes the watch list actually useful again.

but?

No one except the handful of posters here will know about this work around. I'm especially concerned about Buyers getting frustrated and abandoning the site all together.

Since you have isolated the problem, I'm hopeful that eBay is still working to fix it and not relying on this as a solution.

please advise

I've gotten this reported to the tech teams for review, absolutely. Most examples I've seen is for watch lists or purchase history pages that contain hundreds of items due to large orders, so a limit on the number of displayed items may be in order. In the meantime, for any who cannot adjust these counts on their end due to system limitations, I am happy to adjust them as a workaround while we investigate!

Message 79 of 112
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I've gotten this reported to the tech teams for review, absolutely. Most examples I've seen is for watch lists or purchase history pages that contain hundreds of items due to large orders, so a limit on the number of displayed items may be in order. In the meantime, for any who cannot adjust these counts on their end due to system limitations, I am happy to adjust them as a workaround while we investigate!

IMO, this issue has got nothing to do with system limitations. Blocking templates-js-18f92b.js in Adblock Plus has returned me to my pre-July 2017 experience. Unblocking templates-js-18f92b.js in Adblock Plus will result in Firefox becoming unresponsive for ~15secs.

CPU utilization...

Message 80 of 112
latest reply

Trenton please adjust my purchase items to 10 per page. same issue as everyone else.

thanks

oh*yeah53

Message 81 of 112
latest reply

Still experiencing this problem, too.
Message 82 of 112
latest reply

Try to access your purchase history this way:

https://www.ebay.com/myb/PurchaseHistory#PurchaseHistoryOrdersContainer?ipp=10&melid=itemspp

That link should load the page with items per page set to 10 to work around the runaway script issue.

(on my phone so can't test extensively, and don't have the issue on desktop anyway - just educated guessing)
Message 83 of 112
latest reply

this link worked for me THANK YOU!!!!

Message 84 of 112
latest reply

this link worked for me THANK YOU!!!!

Excellent. Release the hounds 🙂

I don't have these issues at all (use of old FF version31, or the fact that I have few purchases, no watchlist, no cancelled purchases, etc, or just dumb luck), and can't test any of this, but from reading the various threads and ruminating on the issue my understanding is:

• eBay changed something that is causing one of the (too many) poorly coded scripts to go either go into a terminal spin loop or just take far too long to execute on purchase history, watchlist, and/or collections list pages when there are a lot of items on the lists and possibly any number > 10 displayed per page
  • The official answer for why it's happening appears to be to blame the user's hardware. I'm calling **bleep** on that - you don't roll out code to do a simple thing like display/manipulate a list that requires modern gaming hardware. (not a programmer but have coded for 40 years and know better).
  • Whether this issue is going to be addressed and fixed is unknown, but for now it looks like using the link I provided is a workaround.

If the script timeout issue occurs even using the link, keep in mind that that link only addresses the items per page (IPP) for "Orders" on the purchase history page, so even if IPP is set to 10 for orders, it is possible and likely that the scripts can also blow up if there are high numbers of "Canceled Items", Canceled Invoices", and/or "Returns and Canceled Orders", which need to be addressed separately.

(seems unlikely that anyone could have enough of those to choke the script, but just in case...)

────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Links for the 4 of containers/sections on Purchase History page I see (any of which I believe could cause the script(s) to timeout).

(Don't think a single link can change all 4 IPP numbers in one go, so requires use of 4 separate links if needed):

Load Purchase History page with "Orders" container IPP set to 10

https://www.ebay.com/myb/PurchaseHistory#PurchaseHistoryOrdersContainer?ipp=10&melid=itemspp

Load Purchase History page with "Canceled Items" container IPP set to 10

https://www.ebay.com/myb/PurchaseHistory#PurchaseHistoryCancelCommitsContainer?ipp=10&melid=itemspp

Load Purchase History page with "Returns and Canceled Invoices" container IPP set to 10

https://www.ebay.com/myb/PurchaseHistory#PurchaseHistoryCancelInvoicesContainer?ipp=10&melid=itemspp

Load Purchase History page with "Returns & Canceled Orders" container IPP set to 10
https://www.ebay.com/myb/PurchaseHistory#PurchaseHistoryReturnsContainer?ipp=10&melid=itemspp

If the above link method to access the Purchase History page doesn't work, or you just want to do it the hard way.....

Another approach is if you see the script timeout alert popup, you should be able to allow the script to continue instead of killing it, and wait to see if it ever finishes. Only have to be patient one time to get the page to load and then reduce the items per page to 10 (which seems to be a low enough number that even desktops from 1990 have enough hamster power to allow the script to complete.)

If you don't have the option to continue the script when it is timing out, another option is to extend the JavaScript timeout period in Firefox. Increasing it might give the script enough time to get whatever it is doing done before Firefox slaps it down (once again, that means you have to patiently wait for it to load).

In Firefox 31, I use an old addon called "Control de Scripts" that I've "hacked" to install in FF31 (the last released version only installed in up to FF21). Actually modified it to install in up to FF99, but haven't installed and tested in anything above FF31 to see if actually works. (PM me if you want a copy of the hacked addon xpi)  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/controle-de-scripts/

FF_control-de-scripts_interface.gif

Mine is set to 10 seconds since I don't have issues and don't want to wait normally. I think the out of the box FF default is 30 seconds, and I'm recommending that those with the script timeout issue increase it to 60sec, 120sec, or whatever it takes to get the page to load once.

A final way to do this without a GUI interface via an addon is by modifying the timeout value in Firefox manually through about:config. Open about:config in the address bar, type  "dom.max_script_run_time" (no quotes) in the search bar, double click the dom.max_script_run_time setting, change the value in the dialog to 60, 90, 231, etc, and save.

Curious about the hardware aspects of this. If those of you who are/were having an issue with the script timeout could take a minute to post some hardware/OS specs it could be enlightening (interested to see if only  "old, slow hardware" is having issues, if "modern" hardware is also having issues, or if it isn't really a hardware issue and old and new are affected.

• Operating System (ie: Windows XP SP3)
  • CPU model (ie: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550)
  • CPU Speed (ie: 2.83 GHz)
  • RAM (ie: 4Gb)

(easily obtained in XP and Win7 by right clicking on My Computer and then Properties, or System Properties in Control Panel, via third part hardware utilities, System Info in Win 10 I think, ...)

Message 85 of 112
latest reply

My purchase history is no longerr working.  Didn't change anything.  Still getting the unresponsive script:  

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.

Script: https://secureir.ebaystatic.com/rs/c/templates-js-18f92b.js:7

Once I close the script, the page freezes.  Using Firefox.

Message 86 of 112
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aquajoe07011 wrote:

My purchase history is no longerr working.  Didn't change anything.  Still getting the unresponsive script:  

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.

Script: https://secureir.ebaystatic.com/rs/c/templates-js-18f92b.js:7

Once I close the script, the page freezes.  Using Firefox.

Hey, I tested this out and didn't run into the error message you have reported. Can you try clearing your browser history and let me know if you are still having trouble?

Message 87 of 112
latest reply

Thank you!!!!! One HUNDRED times over!!! 😃
Message 88 of 112
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, I tested this out and didn't run into the error message you have reported. Can you try clearing your browser history and let me know if you are still having trouble?

What did you guys do? Watch List is freezing up on Firefox for like 10 secs again but no script errors, probably because I have it blocked in AdBlock Plus.

Sigh.

Message 89 of 112
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@o1_o1_o1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What did you guys do? Watch List is freezing up on Firefox for like 10 secs again but no script errors, probably because I have it blocked in AdBlock Plus.

Sigh.

Hey @o1_o1_o1, I dropped your displayed items on your watch list to 25 as a short term workaround. This should help you with any freezing issues. Let me know if there continues to be problems as we work on a long term fix!

Message 90 of 112
latest reply