cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error certificate when trying to send a invoice to buyer

Cannot send a invoice to a procrastinating buyer yet to pay 4 days later. Get this Certificate error. 

This site is not secure

This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server. You should close this site immediately.

Go to your Start page
Details:

The hostname in the website’s security certificate differs from the website you are trying to visit.

Error Code: DLG_FLAGS_SEC_CERT_CN_INVALID

Go on to the webpage (Not recommended)

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

That was on Edge,I tried Chrome and same thing.Chrome points to a misconfiguration issue with host server.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

There is an HTTP call to an image file (icons like ebay bucks, shopping cart, check marks, etc) on the invoice page that throws up a minor warning in Firefox 31 and Firefox 52 (partially unencrypted content).
http://secureir.ebaystatic.com/pictures/aw/pics/checkout/ds3/sprxoicons_ds3_4.png

Chrome is known to go far overboard on security issues like that, and Edge probably also.

I don't see any certificate issues. Really doubt hackers care about your invoices grin
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I appreciate your response but dont help with a solution.Strange how I was able to send invoice up until today. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I clicked on Go on to the webpage (Not recommended),this is what it states with Edge.

Invalid URL

The requested URL "http://%5bNo%20Host%5d/view?", is invalid.

Reference #9.d78403d8.1544856421.4c4c5659

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

The solution is to use a browser that doesn't throw a hissy fit at every minor perceived threat. Firefox warns about the issue on the address bar and lets me go about my business.

If I saw the warning on a banking site or PayPal I would be concerned - on a single eBay page for a non-critical function.... meh.

Maybe eBay changed something, or maybe your Edge updated since the last invoice you sent. (Chrome has been going crazy on these issues for quite a while - singlehandedly trying to force the internet to conform to Google's security standards)

I haven't sent an invoice in forever, and just today had the first non-payment after purchase I've had in years which prompted me to look at the invoice page (which is different than I remember it, but I have no idea when it changed to a https://invoice.ebay.com..... page, which is probably when the foundations for the problems began).
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The link for "Go to the webpage" is for YOUR invoice and throws an eBay error
" We can't process your request due to one of the following reasons:
Buyer has already paid for this invoice. The item is no longer available for checkout after 30 days since last created. "

which either means the buyer paid for the invoice you issued, or it is a poor error message for telling me I'm not authorized to view you invoices (more likely)

The Invalid URL error stuff isn't eBay - that is Edge messing things up based on info it gathered.

No idea about the internals of Edge (or Chrome security cert requirements), if it is a cert problem, or is just the mixed content problem due to the single non-HTTPS image that loads on the page.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Sorry if I come across as harsh, but these security "problems" caused by certain browsers (or in the case of the other dozens threads in the recent past - Antivirus suite false detects) frustrate me.

Yes, there are minor problems in a lot of eBay pages that don't pass mustard in an ideal laboratory environment, but they are not a major concern in the context of mundane activities like sending an invoice or looking at a help page, and they don't mean "eBay has been hacked" as seems to be the inevitable reaction of many who run into them. Yes there are exploits possible due to a single non-HTTPS file loading on a secure page, but they require a man in the middle attack and an attacker that can be bothered to go to the effort.

A hacker sitting in Starbucks intercepting your WiFi traffic to eBay trying to spoof an insecure script file is possible but very. very unlikely as it would need to be extremely targeted to a specific eBay file. Man in the middle inside your ISP doing the same? You have bigger problems then. Malware on your computer that can exploit obscure HTTP/HTTPS vulnerabilities? Again, you have bigger problems. And LOGJAM, POODLE, FREAK, etc attacks are not lurking in every nook and cranny of the web (again, man in the middle, and would likely be highly targeted)

If you come across a security issue while logging into eBay, PayPal, or any other site, that is possibly a real concern.

Let's tag eBay and report what you have observed: tyler@ebay
obsidion2 has reported an issue with eBay invoice page using Edge and Chrome. I see a partial encryption issue due to the image file I mentioned above, but no security cert issues using Firefox 52 (but I am by no means anything other than a novice when it comes to SSL certs and FF52 doesn't go as nuts over those issues as new versions). That HTTP link needs to be fixed, and maybe someone conversant in security certs should look into any potential certificate issues.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the heads up @berserkerplanet! I'll get this mentioned to the team in charge of the conversion. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I have the same issue with most ebay links I try to access from a search engine or logon page. Get the same error message on Firefox 64, Chrome and Edge on Win 10. McAfee also blocks pages with the similiar response now...calls it a malacious site. I have to do my shopping elseware now. Can not reach ebay for any help...can't logon can't buy. Sorry, had to order from Amaz....

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Every time trying to logon:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.ebay.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

This site uses HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) to specify that Firefox may only connect to it securely. As a result, it is not possible to add an exception for this certificate.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@arkiegreywolf

Do you run into certificate errors on other sites like yahoo or facebook, or just on eBay? If it's just eBay, that's really odd. Do you have access to a second computer you could compare with to see if you get the same errors? I would think that if eBay really was that badly misconfigured, a lot of folks would notice and complain.

I'm not an expert in this stuff by any means, but I did do a little searching -- if this happens at other major sites as well, it might be due to malware, or possibly a misconfigured anti-virus proxy on your computer. You might want to consider downloading an anti-malware scanner to run a quick scan. If that doesn't turn up anything, perhaps try taking a look at your anti-virus program; my version of MacAfee VirusScan has a Repair Installation function (under Help in the VirusScan Console) that lets me restore default settings or re-install the program.

Good luck.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Ebay is the only issue out of hundreds I use daily. McAfee is an issue I have that needs fixin, but all the other browsers cause same problem. Ran Spybot the other day and have another couple of utilities to work with later. I do have a win7 on anther drive the=at I can test later and see what happens.
Thanks
Message 13 of 13
latest reply