cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terapeak not reflecting actual number of active listings in keyword search

I use Terapeak to research what items historically sell for, and to see how many listings already exist for a particular item, in preparation to list my own inventory (or not, depending on demand and supply). Lately, I've been researching books, and not getting accurate results for active listings. The results are not off by just a little, but a lot! For instance, a book by Robert J. Stoller titled Sex and Gender. I use the keywords "Sex, Gender, Stoller." Terapeak shows NO active results for that combination, but when I do a regular product search on ebay.com, I get 9 results, with all of the item titles containing those 3 keywords. (Try it at home). One would think active listings would be an easier algorithm to program than completed listings. Why is Terapeak so disappointingly inaccurate??

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Terapeak not reflecting actual number of active listings in keyword search

@jamesdouglasgallery 

I have also noticed the different search results between a general search versus Terapeak. I hope we hear from someone about the disconnect. Thank you for asking!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Here's another example, please let me know if you have better luck than I: "archives of Memory Hoffman"

0 active results terapeak, 7 result in the ebay search bar.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@jamesdouglasgallery wrote:

Here's another example, please let me know if you have better luck than I: "archives of Memory Hoffman"

0 active results terapeak, 7 result in the ebay search bar.

Using parameters for All Categories, Last 365 Days, and no quotes around the search terms, I'm getting results for 1 sold and 4 active through Terapeak.

General search results bring up 7 listings, however 2 of those are listed on .co.uk so they wouldn't pull up in Terapeak. Terapeak should be showing 5 results, however the 1 result not being shown is labeled "new listing" in search, so more than likely Terapeak has not indexed it yet.

Therefore, the result of 4 active listings in Terapeak is technically correct until that 5th new listing is indexed.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@jamesdouglasgallery wrote:

For instance, a book by Robert J. Stoller titled Sex and Gender. I use the keywords "Sex, Gender, Stoller." Terapeak shows NO active results for that combination, but when I do a regular product search on ebay.com, I get 9 results, with all of the item titles containing those 3 keywords. (Try it at home).

Using parameters for All Categories, Last 365 Days, and no quotes around the search terms or commas between the search terms, I'm getting results for 2 sold and 6 active through Terapeak.

General search results bring up 10 listings, however 3 of those are listed on .co.uk so they wouldn't pull up in Terapeak. Terapeak should be showing 7 results, however the 1 result not being shown is labeled "new listing" in search, so more than likely Terapeak has not indexed it yet.

Therefore, the result of 6 active listings in Terapeak is technically correct until that 7th new listing is indexed.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If you're still seeing zero results @jamesdouglasgallery then you probably have to change your search filters. What results do you see when you match the parameters I entered (see above posts)?

GLORIOUS!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

What were your results when you tried my first example? I think that will be the determinant of your theory. Thanks

Message 7 of 7
latest reply