cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new device is using your account

Hello, I got this email while away from the computer a few hours ago so I know I didn't attempt this also the location is wrong

A new device is using your account

Device
Unknown
Approx. location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

I set up new password, sign in and get the same message as above even though I am not from this location, is this an error by ebay or has someone signed in my device?
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: A new device is using your account

Typically no-

It means that someone has signed into your ACCOUNT (nothing to do with 'device'). 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

The location information is provided by the internet service provider used when signing in. In some situations it may actually be the provider's location. If you are using a VPN or a hotspot, it may show a different location. If you use privacy software that hides or modifies your location information, that can affect what is shown as well.

If the time and browser shown match your own sign-in, and the location shows as Philadelphia when you sign in again, that just may be the information your service provider shows.

If you think someone else may have obtained your credentials and may be accessing your account in another location, then change your password.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Have the same issue.

Changed password and the wrong location is still being given by eBay mails.

This happens when using PC. When using cell the location is correct.

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Changed password and the wrong location is still being given by eBay mails.

This happens when using PC.

The location information is coming from your network provider (or your VPN or hotspot). As long as you know what to expect, you can recognize when a different location appears and you can take appropriate action.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

In my experience, Ebay does not report the proper location.

I have added new computers from my location on the same network and gotten wrong locations.

Every tracker I have encountered and programs which use my location show the proper result.

This is an Ebay problem and I have no clue how widespread.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply