cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is offensive about this card?

This card was pulled by eBay today.  I do not understand what is considered offensive about it?

21873a.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: What is offensive about this card?

Their rules of enforcing offensive stereotypes have a big fat gray zone and I think you were victim to this. On the one hand, a card of a cartoon black person with big red lips eating a watermelon and saying something in southern dialect would *definitely* fall under the offensive materials policy -- that's the type of stuff that it's meant to keep out.

But it's not supposed to apply to realistic historical images. I would consider this image to be realistic and not cartoonish or stereotypical. But I've heard nightmare stories of ebay banning users who put back listings that were taken down, so I would advise just keeping that offline and selling it somewhere else.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I have a feeling someone reported it. Racist stereotypes.

I have seen a few of the old school, top level, offensive racial stereotype ones here that I was surprised were listed. There was a discussion in the selling category about a popular 70's album with a racist term that was removed while others were still listed.

Not a bot, reported.

I look at a lot of cards, I am not into those.

This one probably would usually be unnoticed.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Of course anything is offensive to some one:

This item is simply the exploitation of the worker, easily seen by an over loaded dolly and having do do work with out mechanized machinery:

Its got to offend the bots due to such.....

Ahh the irony.... revise da history: make it go away so it was never that way: the motto of today.....

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I'm curious how you titled this and if you included any description text. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

a head scratcher!  There is nothing offensive or censorable in any way about that card or listing.  Are only images of white workers allowed on ebay now?

I'm just guessing  but I bet that there a hundred Africa booby postcards being sold right now...

its so idiotic and a waste of sellers time and attention.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

What is offensive is eBay's idiotic oversight of historically significant artifacts.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@rickms wrote:

What is offensive is eBay's idiotic oversight of historically significant artifacts.

THE TRUTH IS EBAY GOT TIERED OF THE REPORTS THAT GO WITH SUCH ITEMS AND THE THOUGHT POLICE REPORTING EM ALL DAY LONG... Not just this type of item that got nailed by such.

That is the why of such things going on. Some one out there thinks they have to report it all so that it will all go away and never have existed.

Say were do you draw a line: KKK, Nazi, adult content:  other key words..

All things can offend some one...

Message 9 of 9
latest reply