cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Overpayment more than the amount due is not allowed." ?!?!

Went to pay my ebay fees today and was greeted by this message for the first time ever. This is very frusterating for me because I prorate my $300 monthly anchor store fees into my weekly payments to ebay. I'll explain below if that's confusing.

I like to get caught up to date on my ebay fees every week and throw the anchor store charge in as well. So at the end of the 5th day of the month (today) I'll overpay my fees so that I'll be at minus 50. At the end of the 10th I'll make sure I'm at minus 100 etc so that on the 30th of the month I'll be at minus 300 and be all caught up when the bill hits. Doing this avoids a major monthly bill.

Now it looks like I'm unable to do this and I'm peeved about it. It's one of those changes that won't *help* anybody and only hurts those who were used to overpaying for a strategic reason. Thanks a lot ebay.... again...

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I just had the same issue; same message "Overpayment, more than the amount due is not allowed. I like to stay caught up on my eBay fees, as well, so there isn't such a large amount due at once. Is this something else new???? I've never heard of ANY company not wanting to receive their money. WOW!!!! This is crazy!

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Got the same error message today when trying to overpay a little.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Same, 'Over-payment more than the amount due is not allowed.' Not allowed? Well, that's a first. eBay you really need to communicate more with the people who actually make your platform possible, the buyers! No warning, not even a mention of this change. Makes no logical sense. You need to revert it back, please! As many others have said, it enables us to keep on top of payments. Otherwise, a big chunk at the end of the month comes out and that in itself is enough to deter the most successful sellers.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Another awesome change......... 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Same. This sucks. I preferred to throw a big chunk at it every now and then and not look at the "negative" sum. You'd think they would appreciate the funds? 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Can’t even pay my regular fees which are only a 1.50 it’s been taking the money and refunding me instantly. The worst part is eBay keeps emailing me saying They might pause my services if I don’t pay smh.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@njrtsr wrote:

Went to pay my ebay fees today and was greeted by this message for the first time ever. This is very frusterating for me because I prorate my $300 monthly anchor store fees into my weekly payments to ebay. I'll explain below if that's confusing.

I like to get caught up to date on my ebay fees every week and throw the anchor store charge in as well. So at the end of the 5th day of the month (today) I'll overpay my fees so that I'll be at minus 50. At the end of the 10th I'll make sure I'm at minus 100 etc so that on the 30th of the month I'll be at minus 300 and be all caught up when the bill hits. Doing this avoids a major monthly bill.

Now it looks like I'm unable to do this and I'm peeved about it. It's one of those changes that won't *help* anybody and only hurts those who were used to overpaying for a strategic reason. Thanks a lot ebay.... again...

@njrtsr  it sounds like you may now be opted into the "new experience" with Managed Payments where store subscription fees will be "netted" from Managed Payments balance and/or your bank account if your balance is not sufficient.

eBay is rolling this new experience out to new MP enrollees first and has said existing sellers will receive notice before being opted in.

payments_team@ebay  - we are seeing an increase in these kinds of posts here in the community and it is obvious many sellers are not aware of these changes or are confused about how this is all supposed to work.

PLEASE consider putting together an announcement for all sellers with a clear, direct outline of the "new experience" regarding how and when fees are being netted from Managed Payments.  🙏

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Apologies for the bump. I just switched to managed payments and got hit with this weird issue. I think it's a good idea, but I thought the money would be deducted from my managed payments balance -immediately- after receiving shipping the item, and not when it was going to be deposited.

I think the error message needs work. "You do not need to pay your balance, it will be deducted from your payouts automatically", that sort of thing.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@kitsunesniper wrote:

Apologies for the bump. I just switched to managed payments and got hit with this weird issue. I think it's a good idea, but I thought the money would be deducted from my managed payments balance -immediately- after receiving shipping the item, and not when it was going to be deposited.

I think the error message needs work. "You do not need to pay your balance, it will be deducted from your payouts automatically", that sort of thing.

What do you prefer it to say?  

For those in MP, our fees are being paid by the funds in our MP account.  Instead of Ebay waiting 45+ days for sellers to pay fees, they deduct it from MP.  They announced they were doing this.  Now you don't have to be concerned about getting your monthly invoice paid unless you have some shipping charges getting billed to your account.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I have solved this issue by paying 1 cent less. For some reason, if you pay the exact amont it sometimes gives issues. (via one time payment)

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@hooliggan2-0 wrote:

I have solved this issue by paying 1 cent less. For some reason, if you pay the exact amont it sometimes gives issues. (via one time payment)

@hooliggan2-0 

What are you referring to?

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Thanks, mine was $21.01, paid $20 and it went fine. However I wonder if this is to make sure that ebay has a hold on your bank account details due to you always being forced to have a balance due so they can access your account. I think fees should be removed from the sale price at time of payment so there is no build up of fees due and you know that what you have in your bank is what you are owed. Just another big greedy company wanting total control.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@wburns33 wrote:

Thanks, mine was $21.01, paid $20 and it went fine. However I wonder if this is to make sure that ebay has a hold on your bank account details due to you always being forced to have a balance due so they can access your account. I think fees should be removed from the sale price at time of payment so there is no build up of fees due and you know that what you have in your bank is what you are owed. Just another big greedy company wanting total control.

@wburns33 

MP does take the fees out up front.  So that is something that should make you feel better if this is something you prefer.

As to keeping a balance in your attached checking account.  That is completely a personal choice as to how much one might want to leave in that account.  If a seller is monitoring their MP account they will be well aware of when MP is going to dip into their attached checking account to cover a negative balance in their MP account.  There should be no surprise unless you are NOT monitoring your MP account on a regular basis.

MP has NO right to put "a hold on your bank account".  To freeze your account would require a court order.  Some talk as if MP has unfettered access to our bank account that is attached and this simply is not correct.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

On this topic, I made a post here asking a similar question that was locked for some reason.  I'm carrying a small negative balance on the old ledger (by that meaning ebay owes me that), and was wondering if/how that would be reconciled.  Really haven't gotten a solid answer.  But I would think being on MP, that side of the ledger would become irrelevant.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply