cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay's New Payment System is TERRIBLE for sellers and buyers alike.

sonisrising
Thrill-Seeker

I'm a very small seller. That said I have been both a buyer and seller on the site for over 20 years. ebay's new payment notification is essentially a message that says "Trust us...you got paid...you'll see the money in a few days...hopefully." 

With PayPal we knew the money was in our accounts. Period. It was there. It may take a few days to get to your bank if you didn't use the instant payment option...but you KNEW the money was in your account. Now we just get a message that says the buyer paid. But we have to wait 3 business days to see it in our bank account. I'm sorry but that's not true verification of payment. Money in your account is verification of payment. This whole "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday" business model didn't work for Popeye...and it shouldn't work for you. 

To best serve our (and ebay's) customers, sellers either take a gamble...and send the item (buying postage from ebay of course) and hope the payment settles into our accounts...or you make the customer wait until the payment clears. So let's say you sell something on a Friday night, and the buyer pays immediately. It's still a minimum 2-3 business days before the money clears.  So let's say the money doesn't clear until Wed. Maybe I checked my bank account at 7AM before going to work and didn't see any money, so I left the item home. So now I'm not shipping until Thursday at earliest. If I'm shipping first class to the West Coast, the customer isn't getting their item until maybe Monday/Tuesday the following week at best. But with mail slowdowns...it's a toss up.  So now the customer has waited the 7 days of the auction and a week and a half to receive the item. That's a possible total wait of 2 1/2 weeks between the time a customer first sees an item they want and receiving it. Unless the seller just sends the item on good faith. 

I literally sent out over $300 worth of items today and have NOTHING to prove I was paid but an ebay notification. If you want to ruin faith and good will between buyers and sellers alike...ebay's perfected that. 

This is a very bad experience for buyers too. If I pay you on a Friday night...that payment may not clear for a seller until Wed. So now when does that seller ship? A week after I paid for the item? What if I decide to simply buy it from an online retailer who ships upon payment instead of waiting a week for some average Joe who doesn't even have a business license to ship me goods I paid for? Rant over...time to explore selling on social media. 

Message 1 of 328
latest reply
327 REPLIES 327

Re: ebay's New Payment System is TERRIBLE for sellers and buyers alike.

Just a buyer now, no longer a seller, but I can see that MP would take some adjustments, but how is it terrible for buyers?  

Sellers are notified when buyers pay and they should ship.  They don't have to wait til the money is in their bank account.  If some sellers are waiting, then yes, that would be terrible for buyers, but sellers who are waiting are not following eBay's instructions.  

Message 16 of 328
latest reply

I'm not letting eBay know squat about my bank account or ALLOW them to take money. With a credit card on Paypal you had protection if eBay went crazy. 

They lost a seller. 

Message 17 of 328
latest reply

100% true. Garbage. PayPal seems like heaven now. Will list many things on FB marketplace going forward.

Message 18 of 328
latest reply

I agree! This is the worst decision eBay has ever made.  This will be their death knell.  

Message 19 of 328
latest reply

This is nothing more than a money grab. If we okay with paying a small fee with Paypal for an instant payment let us opt into that & it's BAU. Man this is so 2000s. When you had to send money orders. This is dumb. For a business this may work for them. But for a casual seller this is terrible. 

Message 20 of 328
latest reply

I just found out about the change this morning and decided to cancel all of my auctions. As a seller and a buyer, I prefer the ease with which I could use PayPal to receive funds and then use those funds to make new purchases if I choose, keeping everything within the confines of one payment site. Now that they took that away from me, I won't be selling on eBay anymore and likely won't be making as many purchases as I once did.

Message 21 of 328
latest reply

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday!  Got that dreaded email message to switch over if I wanted my money on future sales.  I immediately canceled all my auctions since I have no intention of switching over.  Not even a grace period!  No warning, nothing.  One measly notification.  Which means eBay would have held my money on my next sale for ransom?  I too won't be selling and rarely buying here anymore.  Etsy is my place to shop now.  

Message 22 of 328
latest reply

You really have to ask yourself if it’s worth it

Message 23 of 328
latest reply

You don’t have to sell on eBay but u can still use PayPal for purchases -

Message 24 of 328
latest reply

Didn’t it say u have u til may 28th to switch?

Message 25 of 328
latest reply

This guy is an obvious eBay shill, prolly let's them take turns.

Message 26 of 328
latest reply

@disguizedmaster wrote:

This guy is an obvious eBay shill, prolly let's them take turns.

Funny that facts cause you to melt down.

Message 27 of 328
latest reply

I HATE THE NEW E-bonkers NEW PAYMENT SYSTEM! I have been buying and selling on ebay for over 20 years also. Since 2013 I developed a product and get good sales and feedback. I always loved Paypal (and still do) as when a sale was made I could always check my Paypal and see it right there; from the product a buyer wants and what they paid for it. Now I feel fenced in and have to wait a few days before I see it in my personal bank account.  Yesterday I used the option where ebay calls YOU within a minute and I talked to a representative for a while. NO MATTER what I said he had a **bleep** answer for it.  After the talk ended I received an email for feedback, and let me tell you I filled it full!!! ANOTHER THING: I always pay my seller fees within a few sales as I hate to have it build up. THEN what happens is I get these CRAZY HIGH fees that I owe afterwards!! I have called them about this and they gave me credit for some mishaps, but it CONTINUES to happen over and over again! L I S T E N--with this new payment system they are suppose to take out seller fees before they send you the rest! OOOOPPPS....will I ever KNOW HOW much they will charge me??? It appears as if they are stealing my profits. This is what happens when a company like ebay gets to be the number one as they get more and more greedy like all the rest. WHAT can we do about this?? I want paypal back I also want my own Website if someone would help me with it, and I WILL advertise it on my ebay listings. 

Message 28 of 328
latest reply

@morrisjer wrote:

I HATE THE NEW E-bonkers NEW PAYMENT SYSTEM! I have been buying and selling on ebay for over 20 years also. Since 2013 I developed a product and get good sales and feedback. I always loved Paypal (and still do) as when a sale was made I could always check my Paypal and see it right there; from the product a buyer wants and what they paid for it. Now I feel fenced in and have to wait a few days before I see it in my personal bank account.  Yesterday I used the option where ebay calls YOU within a minute and I talked to a representative for a while. NO MATTER what I said he had a **bleep** answer for it.  After the talk ended I received an email for feedback, and let me tell you I filled it full!!! ANOTHER THING: I always pay my seller fees within a few sales as I hate to have it build up. THEN what happens is I get these CRAZY HIGH fees that I owe afterwards!! I have called them about this and they gave me credit for some mishaps, but it CONTINUES to happen over and over again! L I S T E N--with this new payment system they are suppose to take out seller fees before they send you the rest! OOOOPPPS....will I ever KNOW HOW much they will charge me??? It appears as if they are stealing my profits. This is what happens when a company like ebay gets to be the number one as they get more and more greedy like all the rest. WHAT can we do about this?? I want paypal back I also want my own Website if someone would help me with it, and I WILL advertise it on my ebay listings. 

@morrisjer 

You can likely answer all your questions about how much you are paying in fees from the various transaction reports you can access in the Seller Hub under the Payments tab.  

"I want paypal back I also want my own Website if someone would help me with it, and I WILL advertise it on my ebay listings. "  You will advertise what on your Ebay listings?  Your own website?  That would get your listings shut down on Ebay.

"THEN what happens is I get these CRAZY HIGH fees that I owe afterwards!"  What kind of high fees are you paying?  In the category you sell in, because you don't have a store, your MP FVF would be 10.20% FVF plus 2.35% money processing fee.  For a total of 12.55%

If you were not in MP, you would pay 10.20% FVF to Ebay and 2.9% to PayPal for a total of 13.10%.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 29 of 328
latest reply

Did you ever get paid?    I am just having this problem now

Message 30 of 328
latest reply