cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay's New Payment System is TERRIBLE for sellers and buyers alike.

sonisrising
Thrill-Seeker

I'm a very small seller. That said I have been both a buyer and seller on the site for over 20 years. ebay's new payment notification is essentially a message that says "Trust us...you got paid...you'll see the money in a few days...hopefully." 

With PayPal we knew the money was in our accounts. Period. It was there. It may take a few days to get to your bank if you didn't use the instant payment option...but you KNEW the money was in your account. Now we just get a message that says the buyer paid. But we have to wait 3 business days to see it in our bank account. I'm sorry but that's not true verification of payment. Money in your account is verification of payment. This whole "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday" business model didn't work for Popeye...and it shouldn't work for you. 

To best serve our (and ebay's) customers, sellers either take a gamble...and send the item (buying postage from ebay of course) and hope the payment settles into our accounts...or you make the customer wait until the payment clears. So let's say you sell something on a Friday night, and the buyer pays immediately. It's still a minimum 2-3 business days before the money clears.  So let's say the money doesn't clear until Wed. Maybe I checked my bank account at 7AM before going to work and didn't see any money, so I left the item home. So now I'm not shipping until Thursday at earliest. If I'm shipping first class to the West Coast, the customer isn't getting their item until maybe Monday/Tuesday the following week at best. But with mail slowdowns...it's a toss up.  So now the customer has waited the 7 days of the auction and a week and a half to receive the item. That's a possible total wait of 2 1/2 weeks between the time a customer first sees an item they want and receiving it. Unless the seller just sends the item on good faith. 

I literally sent out over $300 worth of items today and have NOTHING to prove I was paid but an ebay notification. If you want to ruin faith and good will between buyers and sellers alike...ebay's perfected that. 

This is a very bad experience for buyers too. If I pay you on a Friday night...that payment may not clear for a seller until Wed. So now when does that seller ship? A week after I paid for the item? What if I decide to simply buy it from an online retailer who ships upon payment instead of waiting a week for some average Joe who doesn't even have a business license to ship me goods I paid for? Rant over...time to explore selling on social media. 

Message 1 of 328
latest reply
327 REPLIES 327

Re: ebay's New Payment System is TERRIBLE for sellers and buyers alike.

panserinc1000
Adventurer

well wait till they send your next payout to thier newyork incahoots bank MELLON BANK NY, EBAY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY FROM PAYPAL AND YOU CAN NEVER RETRIEVE IT FROM MELLON BANK CAUSE THEY DONT KNOW YOU, ALL YOUR WORK BELONGS TO EBAY WHEN YOU JOIN THIER NEW PAYOUT AND YOU CANCEL PAYPAL THEY INSISTED I GET RID OF PAYPAL , WHICH WAS FLAWLLESS FOR 20 YRS, NOW NOTHING BUT FIGHTS OVER 8 HRS. JOKE EBAY THIS IS THE END!!! BAY GOT MY MONEY AND THEY SHARE IT WITH MELLON BNK NY!!

Message 2 of 328
latest reply

@sonisrising 

I've been using the same program with Adyen on another site for a few years now and on Ebay since January.

I ship the same or next day and I've never had a problem with a payment clearing.

When they say it's ok to ship, the payment has been approved.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 328
latest reply

fernsnotions
Adventurer

Every thing you said and ...

I hate it.  My problem today was, that they sent the payout to my bank and it is not there yet.  I listed one item after they paid out so my balance is 25 cents.  I cannot buy $3.12 cent of postage because of that.  I had to pay full price postage while at the post office today.  Was told to buy postage immediately.  Payouts were scheduled for every day and that is impossible.  And Like you,  a Friday sale won't get shipped before the postage expires.  This is insanity.  

I have to call those people every day and usually more than once a day to get anything done.  I am sick of them.  I mailed 2 packages to the international shipping center in KY.  They sent a notice to me and the buyers that Canadian Customs returned them as restricted.  The packages never left KY.  I sent them to KY and KY send them back to me.  Canada never saw them.  Got my first negative review as a result and eBay said in writing they would remove that.  But my request was denied as it did not qualify.  The other package was Navajo earrings and totally destroyed.  So I lost both sales, a customer, and I lost a valuable pair of earrings that I bought for resell as well.  Now they are hounding me to refund the buyer, who still wants them, but I have to repair them and file a claim while dealing with Ebay threats.  I have had enough.  I am small and do this to pay the electricity bill.

Message 4 of 328
latest reply

@sonisrising wrote:

This is a very bad experience for buyers too. If I pay you on a Friday night...that payment may not clear for a seller until Wed. So now when does that seller ship? 

The seller ships within their specified handling time, same as always. You don't get to wait until the payment hits your bank account, unless you increase your handling time to cover that interval.

Buyers don't care that you're in Managed Payments. They want their items shipped as promised.

Message 5 of 328
latest reply

Managed Payments are so 1990

Message 6 of 328
latest reply

@fernsnotions wrote:

Every thing you said and ...

I hate it.  My problem today was, that they sent the payout to my bank and it is not there yet.  I listed one item after they paid out so my balance is 25 cents.  I cannot buy $3.12 cent of postage because of that.  I had to pay full price postage while at the post office today.  Was told to buy postage immediately. 

You can still purchase postage through PayPal. Just scroll down to the bottom of the shipping label page and it will allow you to either pay from your pending payouts or from PayPal.

Message 7 of 328
latest reply

You mean for Wimpy For a hamburger today which I will gladly pay you Tuesday . 

Message 8 of 328
latest reply

Yeah, we know! We are discussing mailing an item out as fast as we can, using our own money (out of pocket money), so the buyer isn't disturbed by the bull**bleep** we're going through! Did you not get that?! Ebay said flatly, that the would release enough money to pay for Postage; When? Under what circumstances? How do we access that money so we can buy postage? Unless someone else has a trick up their sleeve, I don't know of a way, and I've been paying for postage out of my own pocket, and what really makes my blood boil, is that I have not received any payouts in over two months! **bleep**?!?! Ebay gas come up with all these bull**bleep** fees, that we've never see before now. Just another way for ebay to take all of your money, and leave you completely empty handed! Ebay, you've been exposed! I'm not worried that I left, because every time I sold something on ebay, I lost money, because eBay took it all! So, what's the point in that??

Ebay, what a F%@&d up mess you've made of your company! And you're screwing the very people who make ebay profitable. Good job, only who's going to supply inventory, take photos, write the ads, etc.? Who's filling your coffers, ebay? Sellers! How long do you think we'll keep putting up with this?) I already jumped ship. I'm done with the bull**bleep** and lies, eBay! I'm going to take up with the folks who are putting together a lawsuit against you. Normally, I'd just walk away, but you've stolen too much from me to let it go. But this time I'm all in on this lawsuit. You deserve to be sued!

One last thing ebay, don't you have to be registered with the division of regulatory agencies if you are going to act like a bank, You are supposed to have special forms filled out, and some that you send back. What about an IRS audit of your banking activities? I bet you don't have any of the proper paperwork! Good luck explaining to the auditor, what type of accounting system you are using!

Message 9 of 328
latest reply

And ebay is turning their heads hoping the system will fix itself, I'm looking at alternative sites to sell. New payment system is in disarray at best.

Message 10 of 328
latest reply

@phoenix7232002 wrote:

Yeah, we know! We are discussing mailing an item out as fast as we can, using our own money (out of pocket money), so the buyer isn't disturbed by the bull**bleep** we're going through! Did you not get that?! Ebay said flatly, that the would release enough money to pay for Postage; When? Under what circumstances? How do we access that money so we can buy postage?

On the shipping page, you click the option near the bottom that allows you to pay for postage using the funds paid to you by the buyer. It's not magic.

Message 11 of 328
latest reply

SELLERS BE AWARE !!!

I sold an item and eBay asked me to ship my expensive item , it’s 20 days now and I have send my expensive Chanel shoes and eBay hasn’t paid me a penny !

isn’t this fraud ? 
they are stealing peoples money snd there is not even one supervisor in their office that is capable of solving any matters !

Out phone calls are transferred all over the world, only because they don’t want to have a office and pay for a right place and trained people !

at this point I have no shoes , no money , no nothing and they are not doing anything about it !

the only thing I can do hire an attorney.

Message 12 of 328
latest reply

I told them I wouldn't do it so they froze everything. I can't buy or sell on the platform at all any more so........

SEE YA!

Message 13 of 328
latest reply

They can’t force this payment method, if we all won’t buy or sell anything on ebay! 

Message 14 of 328
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

On the shipping page, you click the option near the bottom that allows you to pay for postage using the funds paid to you by the buyer. It's not magic.

You described the process perfectly. However, we should not have to make this selection every. Single. Time. It should be able to be set as a default and used for all future transactions. Instead eBay makes us change this setting every time. I am hopeful this is at least one thing they will consider changing.

Message 15 of 328
latest reply