cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay ripping off sellers with new payment scam

I'm glad ebay finally ditched PayPal, but unfortunately they've adopted their illegal tactics. 

I sold an item on Wednesday, they wanted my banking info and I gave it to them.  They said it would take two days to get my funds.  Today (Friday - two days later) I got an email saying that I hadn't filled out the requested info.  This time they wanted new info - info they didn't ask for in the first place.  Then they said it would take ANOTHER two days to get my money - that's Sunday, I can't ship on Sunday.

Meanwhile, my dashboard says I'm late with shipping?! 

IOW, my seller rating will slip because of *EBAY'S* delays.  It's obvious that they're just playing games with the intent of keeping my money in their pocket as long as possible.  

I am not comfortable giving ebay my bank account information in the first place, but I have no choice if I want to sell on ebay.   I have no recourse if I have a dispute with ebay - not only are they are judge, jury, executioner and banker, but they've already got my money in their pocket. 

That's blatant monopoly behavior.  

If you're unhappy with this newest scam, write to your state attorney general's office.  It's not like ebay will change their behavior just because you're unhappy about it.

Message 1 of 79
latest reply
78 REPLIES 78

Re: ebay ripping off sellers with new payment scam

Don't know a lot about how the banking systems work do ya'?

Message 61 of 79
latest reply

@brendas1230 wrote:

Which details of that reply were incorrect?

Message 62 of 79
latest reply

I'm with you. But I'd rather have Paypal back. I think it's time to move on for me.

Message 63 of 79
latest reply

thanks for answering. I like it.

Message 64 of 79
latest reply

that was amazing

Message 65 of 79
latest reply

Thank you for the helpful and encouraging insight. Appreciated very much.

Message 66 of 79
latest reply

Well they also charge US fees on sales tax they collect and hold.  

A. Change your handling time to 10 days or longer to cover eBay's inept programmers.

B.  Never ship until the money is available to you.  

C. Never use eBay shipping.  They ripoff buyers and sellers by NOT giving the "best" rates.  They make FVFs on shipping, get FVFs on shipping sales tax and then make a profit on shipping if you use their shipping.   

D.  Create your own website and enclose a business card with your shipments.  Ensure you enclose a note that lets the customer know what your price was for the item, what the "non-eBay" shipping would have cost and how much they could have saved if they purchased from you if you kept the same margin.  It is SO effective.

E. Always give brutally HONEST feedback.  SInce eBay does not allow buyers to express "free speech" via Negative Feedback, check the positive box and let it go.  

F. eBay is not a professional or "fair" business.  They make decisions in a vacuum.  Facts are rarely considered and the stupider the buyer, the more likely eBay is to agree with them.

Good Luck and Use eBay to promote your brand and goals.  

Message 67 of 79
latest reply

Is it a form of collecting and storing customer information? I doubt this.

Message 68 of 79
latest reply

thank you for that

Message 69 of 79
latest reply

@brendas1230 wrote:

Did you have a specific question?  Did I state something that confused you or that you felt was inaccurate?

@brendas1230 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 70 of 79
latest reply

@quincydepot wrote:

Well they also charge US fees on sales tax they collect and hold.  

A. Change your handling time to 10 days or longer to cover eBay's inept programmers.

B.  Never ship until the money is available to you.  

C. Never use eBay shipping.  They ripoff buyers and sellers by NOT giving the "best" rates.  They make FVFs on shipping, get FVFs on shipping sales tax and then make a profit on shipping if you use their shipping.   

D.  Create your own website and enclose a business card with your shipments.  Ensure you enclose a note that lets the customer know what your price was for the item, what the "non-eBay" shipping would have cost and how much they could have saved if they purchased from you if you kept the same margin.  It is SO effective.

E. Always give brutally HONEST feedback.  SInce eBay does not allow buyers to express "free speech" via Negative Feedback, check the positive box and let it go.  

F. eBay is not a professional or "fair" business.  They make decisions in a vacuum.  Facts are rarely considered and the stupider the buyer, the more likely eBay is to agree with them.

Good Luck and Use eBay to promote your brand and goals.  

@quincydepot 

MP charges their fees on sales tax just as PP always did, so yes you are correct.

A.  That is a choice for each seller to make.  Some sellers do that and others don't.  Just remember that longer handling times get lowered in the search return.  So your effort in this matter may be just hurting yourself and not really gaining you anything within the MP program.  All payments will get processed.  Buyer have no ability to change, cancel or otherwise mess with any payment they submit in MP anymore than they did in PayPal.

B. Again, if that is your policy for your little business, there is nothing wrong with that.  It is however an decision for each seller to make for themselves.

C.  Well that isn't true if the seller is using primarily USPS.  IDK about other carriers, but USPS I'm quite familiar with.  For Media Mail and First Class Parcels, Ebay has the exact same rate as any other online provider of postage has.  No one gets any additional discount on these two classes of mail as USPS does not allow negotiation on these classes of mail.  In regards to International postage, while I know Ebay gets better discounts that Amazon offers to its sellers, I don't know if they are the best available on the internet, but the Standard International shipping program [NOT GSP] does provide for a very good discount.

D.  Creating your own website is excellent advice for those that sell on a regular basis.  You just need to do your research and make sure you understand what you are getting into and how much and where you need to spend your money to drive buyers to your site.  Having your own website isn't free, it has costs and labor associated with running them too.  But the upside is certainly being your own boss, completely in control of your own rules as long as the are within the laws of the land.

E.  Well not that is a very involved conversation.  "Free Speech" doesn't have a real place in the feedback system on this site or elsewhere.  It is VERY bad business to name and shame customers.  These are not personal transactions, they are business transactions, each and every one of them on this site.  It was an excellent move on Ebay's part to no longer allow sellers to leave harmful FB.  

F.  That is a personal opinion.  One you are absolutely entitled to have.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 71 of 79
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@brendas1230 wrote:

Which details of that reply were incorrect?

@brendas1230 : Still waiting on your response of which details of that reply were incorrect...

Message 72 of 79
latest reply

I'm patiently waiting for law suits and TOTAL accountability from these criminals. Holding monies in the tune of millions a day is criminal at best. Rest assured it's being processed in a holding company or ten, off shore and fully garnished with daily interest dividends. The kick backs must be exponential.

Message 73 of 79
latest reply

As the current state goes; "You can have your own opinion. You can NOT have your own FACT". Your "FACTS" are so far leaning into the land of SHILL with eBay, that your opinion matters NOT!

Message 74 of 79
latest reply

@cosmicstuff2010 wrote:

As the current state goes; "You can have your own opinion. You can NOT have your own FACT". Your "FACTS" are so far leaning into the land of SHILL with eBay, that your opinion matters NOT!

So you think they be a shill??

WHY??

I suspect the why is the normal you dont agree.....so they has to be a shill

Message 75 of 79
latest reply