cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay your fees are questionable ripoff

Spin it however you like but getting commissions (fee) on sales tax and shipping cost is just wrong.  The buyer paid them, and not to me but to you or usps but certainly not the seller. Sales tax goes to the state not me and not you but taking a cut and calling it a % fee is bad business. I feel a class action suit coming for EBay. I will not be selling on eBay ever again. Besides too many scammers on this site trying to steal and now eBay steals from it sellers too. Disappointed 

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Sorry for your disappointment: ebay fees are clearly stated: as for selling phones that is a very high market them scammers get involved in.

Being Apple even worse....

Good luck in what ever you do.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

"and calling it a % fee is bad business. I feel a class action suit coming for EBay. I will not be selling on eBay ever again. Besides too many scammers on this site trying to steal and now eBay steals from it sellers too. Disappointed"

Like most major websites, Ebay charges a fee on the whole amount of the transaction, including the buyers state tax which they distribute to the proper state. You think they should do that for free? Or perhaps, you would prefer to collect each of those individual taxes and send them to each state yourself? 

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 34
latest reply

You can remove most of those scammers by doing a fixed price with immediate payment required listing. As a newbie seller you are a scam magnet, so be proactive in protecting yourself.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 34
latest reply

I do agree with you some, I hate they lying by saying its 12.5% +.30 cents. Its more because of the sales tax they added to their fees. 

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Spin it however you like...

@micvanbu_81 

But the bottom line is that you agreed to eBay's terms and conditions when you listed. Good luck in future endeavors.

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

They get a % of the taxes they collect. Don't let them tell you otherwise. I collected taxes and got a %.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

Sorry for your disappointment: ebay fees are clearly stated: as for selling phones that is a very high market them scammers get involved in.

Being Apple even worse....

Good luck in what ever you do.

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

@animesalesandmore wrote:

I do agree with you some, I hate they lying by saying its 12.5% +.30 cents. Its more because of the sales tax they added to their fees. 

Even with the sales tax, it's still 12.9% plus the $0.30.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 34
latest reply

I agreed to fees yes, I don’t like how they are calculated. Of course they should get a fee based on my sale. But they are basically taxing tax and that is ludacris. Which means they make more money depending on which city someone buys it. For example, if someone for LA California buys it the sales tax there is 10.75% vs Oregon where there is no sales tax why should ebay get additional % from the seller just because someone in high sales tax area buys your item.  See I live in Oregon there is no sales tax but eBay basically taxed me anyway on someone else sales tax.  That is sketchy.  And wasn’t the case when I first started selling on eBay. I don’t have to like it and I can choose not to sell on their platform or not in the future.?

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

The thing is I’ve sold on eBay for years this was not how they used to do it. I just haven’t sold in years and it changed. And I just don’t like how they are taxing tax. 

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

When it was payment through paypal, the fees were exactly the same.  Ebay charged 10% and paypal charged 2.9% plus $0.30 on the total price, including shipping and tax (where required to collect tax).  The fee on any online payment has always been the total amount. Always. 

We're paying exactly the same as we always have.  

You agreed to the fees when you listed. 

I can't sell these items for more locally, or I would.  And if I'm doing anything but craigs or FB, there's the same fees.  I make more here, therefore I keep selling.  That's a choice you have to make.  But it's not anyone's fault but your own for not understanding the fee schedule. 

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

Feel free to move to whatever venue satisfies your needs as a seller.

But I'd like to explain something you may have missed: The state sales tax charged to a buyer is based on the state sales tax rate of the buyer's delivery address, not on the state sales tax rate of the seller's address.   And, according to your registration on this ID, this particular fee schedule was probably in effect when you began selling here in 2021, perhaps you just did not notice it.

Well, best of luck to you wherever you go.  

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

Taxes should not be taxed again call it what you want but taxes go to the State eBay shouldn’t make money off taxes. What they are basically doing is raising your taxes depending on who you sell it to. Doesn’t seem right.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

No one is "taxing tax".  Yes, the seller's final value fee is calculated on the total amount paid to the seller by the buyer.  That's not taxing, that's calculating the FVF.  

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

It didn’t used to be that way. Things are crazy now. I’m just not sure it’s worth all the hassle it turned out to be to sell 2 phones. 

Message 15 of 34
latest reply