cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay your fees are questionable ripoff

Spin it however you like but getting commissions (fee) on sales tax and shipping cost is just wrong.  The buyer paid them, and not to me but to you or usps but certainly not the seller. Sales tax goes to the state not me and not you but taking a cut and calling it a % fee is bad business. I feel a class action suit coming for EBay. I will not be selling on eBay ever again. Besides too many scammers on this site trying to steal and now eBay steals from it sellers too. Disappointed 

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

"I do agree with you some, I hate they lying by saying its 12.5% +.30 cents. Its more because of the sales tax they added to their fees."

They not lying.  

Here's what the "Selling Fees" portion of the User Agreement says about Final Value Fees:  
"This fee is calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus $0.30 per order."

So, again, eBay not "lying by saying its 12.5% + .30 cents."  [sic]
You just not putting enough info into your statement when you say "they lying."  
The fee is a percentage (12.9%, to be more accurate than your "12.5%") of the total amount of the sale.
The total amount of the sale is the total amount your buyer pays. 

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

And here is the definition of what sales tax it it is not sales. Enjoy. They are not paying you taxes or eBay.

Definition of Sales Taxes

Sales taxes are likely state and local taxes collected by the sellers of specified goods and the providers of specified services. The sales taxes are paid by the ultimate consumer (as opposed to a company that will resell the goods) and is typically a percentage of the selling prices. The seller must file a sales tax report and remit the sales taxes it had collected.

Basically, the company making  the sale and collecting the sales taxes is an agent for the state and local government. Therefore, the sales taxes collected are notpart of the seller's sales or revenues. This means the amount of sales taxes that were collected by the retailer will not be reported on its income statement. Instead, the sales taxes collected are reported on the balance sheetas a current liability until they are remitted to the government.

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

Hard to understand your point.  If I, in Ohio, were going to visit you in Hawaii, wouldn't my plane ticket cost more than if I were flying to visit your daughter in Maryland?  
(Sorry, this reply was meant for Robyn.) 

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

I agree and I am looking for another platform too many fees and then they want you to lower the price on an already cut throat market. I am on social security just trying to make ends meet but when you add up printing paper ,tape ,printer ink and shipping material plus their 12.55% you are lucky to make half of what it is worth. I have noticed lately some of my items don't even get looked at there is something going on. I am never ever paying to promote anything they really rob you blind. I whether donate it then give them ,my hard earned money for their rip off sale fees. I know they are catering to China sales by giving them big shipping discounts they sell stuff for less than it cost me to ship it . How can I compete with this I can't. Also yes you must protect yourself as a seller by covering every angle or someone will burn you. 

Message 34 of 34
latest reply