cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is eBay asking me to provide my bank information to get paid?

When I visit my selling page and review how I get paid I see the following: "Getting paid has changed: Fees and expenses will be deducted before you get paid out and the remainder of your earnings will go directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account. Get set up in a few easy steps."

When I go to the customer service site, it mentions no such option (see link below). I am very concerned about giving out may bank account info:.https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-sold?id=4135

What is going on here?

Message 1 of 372
latest reply
371 REPLIES 371

You are now in eBay Managed Payments.  There isn't really a way out, unless you start a new account, and I'm sure that the change is coming to every account, eventually.  There is no going back to PayPal.  There is no ability to not provide your banking information (not if you want the money from your sales).  

No doubt you'll hear some nasty stuff about Managed Payments.  I don't doubt that many have real issues with the program, but most sellers do fine.  Personally, I prefer MP to PayPal, but I can see why an occasional seller would prefer PayPal.  

Message 2 of 372
latest reply

@thomas.402 wrote:

What is going on here?

You're being switched over to Manages Payments.

If you want to continue to sell and get paid, you have to sign up.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 372
latest reply

As said, you are being opted into to Managed Payments which will replace paypal for seller (buyers will still be able to buy with paypal.

MP asks for the bank information in order to send the deposit to your account.  The numbers are those on the face on your checks....so they are not "hidden" from anyone.......  You will also be asked to give your soc sec number which is required by the US government........

Message 4 of 372
latest reply

Why can't we link to a credit card instead?  I will not give ebay my bank account information and if that is the only way to sell or buy, I will leave ebay.

Message 5 of 372
latest reply

You can't deposit money onto a credit card....

Message 6 of 372
latest reply

I feel the same way. I don’t trust their privacy to that extent.

Message 7 of 372
latest reply

So if they are reporting to the IRS will we be getting a 1099 to report our sales.

Message 8 of 372
latest reply

So if I sell something will I get  1099 to report my sales on my IRS tax form.

Message 9 of 372
latest reply

Are your sales reported to the IRS and do you get a 1099?

Message 10 of 372
latest reply

I would like to know the answer to this as well!

Message 11 of 372
latest reply

I guess I am no longer an eBay seller. No way in hell am I giving eBay my bank account info.

Message 12 of 372
latest reply

I called eBay to ask if there were any alternatives— sending me a check or ANYTHING but they told me the only way I could continue to sell was to give them basically all my deeply protected personal info: social security number and bank account info. NO WAY!! I’m terminating my account I no longer trust them. 

Message 13 of 372
latest reply

Yes if you meet sales volume threshold but you are suppose to self report sales below threshold

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 14 of 372
latest reply

@cg201314 wrote:

I called eBay to ask if there were any alternatives— sending me a check or ANYTHING but they told me the only way I could continue to sell was to give them basically all my deeply protected personal info: social security number and bank account info. NO WAY!! I’m terminating my account I no longer trust them. 

Your bank account info and routing number are on literally every check that you write.

Message 15 of 372
latest reply