cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New eBay payout method is a mess! Just to circumvent AMEX fees?

I almost knew from the first email from eBay about their new in-house payout method it was going to be a non-stop gotcha gag-reel... now here we are...

I set up my AMEX Business card to pay ALL fee's and prior to this new process all my seller fee's and shipping cost for UPS and FedEx were just billed to my AMEX on file... but turns out this entire payout change only serves to lower eBays processing fee's as they now take their fee's right off the top of a sale! Not only that, they will almost always try and dip into your bank account on file for payouts for small last minute "gotcha" fee's, in my case a rouge UPS shipping charge that should be getting billed to my AMEX on file and not drawn from my bank account on file. I can only imagine eBay is doing this to circumvent the AMEX processing fee's, or at least mitigate their fees since it's probably cheaper for them to dip into an account on file than paying AMEX to process it.

Its wrong! It's not okay! I have a charge card on file for a reason! I trusted eBay for less than a few weeks with my bank account and already I can see it's going to be a non-stop nickel and dime of my bank account which is only there to take incoming payments from eBay anyway! 

Why do they call it the "Payout" method if they just plan to debit from it at their discretion when it saves them a few cents? 

eBay needs to fix this! 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: New eBay payout method is a mess! Just to circumvent AMEX fees?

The inconvenience ebay has caused by preventing ebay sales revenue from being posted to member's PayPal accounts is going to cost them business.   I use my PayPal electronic reports input transactions into quickbooks.  Now my ebay sales are not on PayPal.    I am working to get out ebay for selling.  Plus their shipping label page is incomprehensible.  I always used PayPal for shipping.   Most of my business expenses go through PayPal, but now the money isn't there because it goes to my checking account, which I rarely use for business.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Love people who complain because they think they can tell eBay how to run THEIR business.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Time to adapt. Paypal didn't want the business anymore.  Why do people keep blaming eBay for this?

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@jda08121 wrote:

Time to adapt. Paypal didn't want the business anymore.  Why do people keep blaming eBay for this?

@jda08121 

PP would love to keep Ebay as one of the sites they process for.  It is absolutely untrue that PP didn't want to do business with Ebay anymore.  It was a statement by PP that was mis-interpreted that has caused some people to believe as you do.

What PP's CEO said was that they did not want to renew the contract with Ebay for the spin off [ended in June of 2020].  Well to be fair, no one wanted to renew that contract as there were significant restrictions on both Ebay and PP for the duration of that contract.  When the PP CEO made this statement, they had already entered into a contract with Ebay to continue processing for buyers and sellers [that aren't in MP] through 2023.  It was a 5 year contract when they signed it.

It is too soon to tell if they will renew that contract as they wouldn't be renegotiating it until later next year.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Hello. That only applies to USPS shipping labels. Fedex labels do not have that option to pay labels out of pending payouts. I am so angry that it takes Fedex shipping labels so long to show up on my account. Fedex label fees should be taken out right away. It takes an average of 8 to 13 days to finally show up on my statement. Item has been delivered for over a week already and now finally getting charged. My checking account went NSF when i first started using this "new payout system" because I assumed that I shipped 2 items with Fedex, both items delivered and assumed money was taken from the sale like USPS label are. Then my seller account showed in the negative and they debited my checking. I heard Fedex does that on purpose so sellers can not cheat the shipping costs but its a REAL PAIN IN THE ... to make notes going, "Hey do not use that money in YOUR CHECKING because who the ____ knows when Fedex fees will hit." It's a flawed system and here it is almost November 2021 and this started toward the beginning of the year and still not right.

Oh btw,,,,,, anybody getting charged 2 final value fees???? $.30 on EVERY listing sale plus its bad enough they charge 12.55% on everything I sell. Variable final fee my caboose! I get charged the same 12.55% on everything I sell. As a single father barely making it and Ebay is suppose to be a way to help stay afloat, I feel like its costs me more to sell on Ebay than I make. Anybody else feel that way? Please Ebay get your stuff together. 

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@big-tonys-treasures 

I find it rather funny how many sellers never really became acquainted with the fees they paid in PayPal.  All of  sudden when them enter MP they swear they are being charged fees they have never been charged before.  The 30 cent fee was ALWAYS charged to you in PP too.

The fees in MP have NOT increased overall fees. The following numbers represent those that do not have a store and the fee rate for most common categories [not all].

Fees BEFORE going into MP
10.20% FVF + 2.9% PP fees = 13.10% plus 30 cent per transaction fee.

In MP the fees are:
10.20% FVF + 2.35% money processing fee paid to MP = 12.55% plus a 30 cent per transaction fee.

Starting August 2nd, PayPal is raising their fees, so they will be as follows:
10.20 Ebay FVF + 3.49 PP Fee = 13.69% plus .49 cent Per Transaction fee

PP is apparently offering different fees to different sellers, likely depending on size. From what I've seen it is between 2.59% and 3.49%.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Well, OK then.  I guess you will not be selling here anymore.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 22 of 22
latest reply