EBAY OVERCHARGES FEES ON SALES TAX

Hello,

I have sold one item:

selling price: $19.98

Shipping charge: $12.98

Subtotal: $209.96

+ Sales taxes on buyer: $18.5

= Grand Total $228.46

I dont know why EBAY takes away $28.97 fee???

It should be only 12.55% on $196.98 selling price + $0.30 fixed order fee = $25.02

However, Ebay takes 12.55% on grand total $228.46 + $0.30 fixed order fee = $28.97???

Why do Ebay takes fee 12.55% on even $18.5 sales taxes that they buyer pay?

Why do I have to pay extra 12.55% on $18.5 sales taxes = $2.32 on the sales taxes?

This is so unreasonable and illegal that Ebay takes fees on the sales taxes of the transaction. This is overcharge to the sellers. I'm feeling very angry on this fee that Ebay takes from my transaction. 

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: EBAY OVERCHARGES FEES ON SALES TAX

Ebay should have only take 12.55% fee on (Selling Price + Shipping charge), not 12.55% fee on * (Selling Price + shipping charge + SALES TAXES)

-> 12.55% on SALES taxes is unreasonable fee, Ebay & Paypal are stealing money from all sellers on Ebay.

Poshmark only takes % fee on Selling Price, exclude Sales Tax

Message 16 of 82
latest reply

Yes, I agree, my state has no sales tax as well.

Ebay should have only take 12.55% fee on (Selling Price + Shipping charge), not 12.55% fee on * (Selling Price + shipping charge + SALES TAXES)

-> 12.55% on SALES taxes is unreasonable fee, Ebay & Paypal are STEALING money from all sellers on Ebay.

Message 17 of 82
latest reply

What I am trying to saying is the total fees deductions from Transaction that Ebay takes away from the net money that the sellers received after each transaction.

Ebay should have only take 12.55% fee on Sellers on (Selling Price + Shipping charge), not 12.55% fee on  (Selling Price + shipping charge + SALES TAXES)

12.55% on SALES taxes is unreasonable fee, Ebay & Paypal are STEALING money from all sellers.

Message 18 of 82
latest reply

I have sold one item:

selling price: $196 .98

+ Sales taxes on buyer: $18.55

= Grand Total $228.46

EBay fees: $28.97 =>  the net amount I receive is only $180.99

I dont know why EBAY takes away $28.97 fee???

Why EBAY takes 12.55% on (Selling price $196.98 + shipping fee $12.98 + Sales taxes $18.55)???

Ebay & Paypal can only charge 12.55% on (Selling price $196.98 + shipping fee $12.98), so the Ebay fee should have only been $26.34, therefore, the net money that I should receive from this transaction should be $183.61, not $180.99

Ebay & Paypal is STEALING Money from all sellers.

Message 19 of 82
latest reply

I have sold one item:

= Grand Total $228.46

Why EBAY takes 12.55% on (Selling price $196.98 + shipping fee $12.98 + Sales taxes $18.55)???

Ebay & Paypal can only charge 12.55% on (Selling price $196.98 + shipping fee $12.98), so the Ebay fee should have only been $26.34, therefore, the net money that I should receive from this transaction should be $183.61, not $180.99

Message 20 of 82
latest reply

@yenmai88 wrote:

What I am trying to saying is the total fees deductions from Transaction that Ebay takes away from the net money that the sellers received after each transaction.

Ebay should have only take 12.55% fee on Sellers on (Selling Price + Shipping charge), not 12.55% fee on  (Selling Price + shipping charge + SALES TAXES)

12.55% on SALES taxes is unreasonable fee, Ebay & Paypal are STEALING money from all sellers.

You can repeat that all day if you want, but it doesn't matter. This isn't Poshmark; this is eBay. We don't like the extra fee on sales tax, but it's legal.

Message 21 of 82
latest reply

@yenmai88 wrote:

I have sold one item:

= Grand Total $228.46

They are charging the fees that they describe in their policy page that I provided for you up thread.  That is not "stealing".  Sellers that choose to read the policies so they are aware of what Ebay charges are informed.  Because you chose not to do that doesn't mean they are "stealing" from anyone, it simply means you did not read up on what MP is before you entered the program.

That is not to say that any of us likes FVFs on sales tax because that is certainly not the case.  I don't like it any better than you do, but I was aware of it before going into MP.

Because you don't agree with it or because I don't agree with it doesn't make it "stealing".  It simply means our opinion is it is not warranted.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 22 of 82
latest reply

Besides there are other things about Poshmark that keeps me from selling there.  

Message 23 of 82
latest reply

eBay can charge whatever %age they desire as a processing fee for the funds paid by the buyer.

We have the choice to either agree to that policy, or we can choose not to sell.

As has been posted................. at least for me...........................  the fees pretty much even out compared to paying with eBay/PP vs now eBay/MP

Between the deliveries to  "no sales tax collected" locations, and the fact that eBay/MP refunds the processing fee (sans the $0.30) for cancels/refunds  my fees are about the same. My "business model" has room for a slight increase in fees as a little bump in asking prices  keeps me profitable at a level equal to, or higher than, pre-MP.

eBay is not "stealing" anything from me. I have given my consent for them to do whatever they wish to do. I bet you have as well.

Message 24 of 82
latest reply

Raise your price to $198.98, and you will cover the fee difference, and have change left over.

Your example was just over a 50 cents per $100 increase with MP.

If your sale had been to a "no sales tax collected" delivery location the fees would have been over  1  $ per hundred less.

Message 25 of 82
latest reply

You may have missed some information:  The state sales tax that eBay is REQUIRED to charge on sales in certain states (I think 43 now) is based on the BUYER'S DELIVERY LOCATION, not on the seller's location.

Sorry that fact was not more clear to you as a seller.  

Message 26 of 82
latest reply

I agree. Actually they should only take the percentage from the selling price NOT the shipping OR sales tax. It's highway robbery. 

Message 27 of 82
latest reply

What don't you like about Poshmark? Is there any other place where they take a lower percentage? What about Etsy or Amazon?

Message 28 of 82
latest reply

Your math skills are lacking. Selling price $19.98. Shipping price is $12.98. And you get a subtotal of $209.96?

Message 29 of 82
latest reply

@beanieflower wrote:

What don't you like about Poshmark? Is there any other place where they take a lower percentage? What about Etsy or Amazon?

What?  If you don't like Ebay's MP program, why would you sell on Etsy?  They have nearly the exact same program.

Amazon, depending on the category you sell in, the fees are higher and they too have their own money processing program too.

Whatever you decide to do, I suggest you do your homework as you may find things are not so different from what Ebay does.

Message 30 of 82
latest reply