cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring back Paypal

I think as a seller my choice in how I receive my payments is my business. If a customer pays me right away ebay has no reason to be holding my money and making me wait 5-7 days to get paid as well as telling me I have to ship before I even get paid. Not only that they screw you in the end by charging you 2.55% plus a percentage of shipping. Has anybody tried Mercari? Does anybody know if there is other options in how I am allowed to get paid so Ebay can stop controlling every aspect of my sales for their profit.

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Bring back Paypal

I've had to stop using ebay as a result of this change. 😞 My bank (the only one in this city) does not allow direct deposits like that, thus PayPal was my ONLY way to get paid when selling on ebay. I really wish they'd reconsider. Until then I've had to take my business elsewhere.

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

Where did you take it to that handles payments through PayPal?  And what bank doesn't handle direct deposits?  Genuine questions.  Thanks.

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

@neferiusx_8 wrote:

I've had to stop using ebay as a result of this change. 😞 My bank (the only one in this city) does not allow direct deposits like that, thus PayPal was my ONLY way to get paid when selling on ebay. I really wish they'd reconsider. Until then I've had to take my business elsewhere.

@neferiusx_8 

The bank does NOT have to be in your town.  You can choose whatever bank you want to.  And for that new account you can transfer from it to your local bank if you want.  You can set up stuff online using Bank of America, US bank or any bank you want that has a checking account you like.  There is a world of choices.

BTW, it is a ACH banking transfer, it is highly unusual for any bank to say they don't accept them since it is ran by banks.  It is likely you didn't accurately describe the process.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 18 of 51
latest reply

My bank is quite prejudiced against online transactions due to fraud they experienced in the past from Walmart and Target. They now block all online anything. Yes, it's weird, I know. They literally won't accept free money even, lol. I can't deposit my PayPal into my bank, I can however buy things using PayPal with my bank attached to it. They're very weird, but it's all we had here.

I've considered trying an out of state bank, but I've generally heard horror stories about trying to deal with them when they're not in person, though I'll look into it again.

Message 19 of 51
latest reply

Wow, that's crazy. How could a bank in this day and age not work the online commerce world.

When you look around be sure eBay recognizes your bank as a bank. I have been using a brokerage account for years as my basic bank account. never had an issue and PP was connected no problem, Have checks with the account, etc. However, eBay/Adyen don't recognize brokerage accounts for MPs (guess its the way the interact with ACH). Had to open a new bank account for MP.

Message 20 of 51
latest reply

Mostly personal business, through PayPal itself. I sell a lotta stuff that comes through my hands or I make myself.  People who buy from me know who I am, but I don't have a lotta way to reach out to new people like I did on ebay. Think like Bricklink, where everybody knows your name. The reason my bank doesn't allow direct deposits is listed in my reply below. Basically they got screwed by some online services and now block them all. Which sadly included ebay.com

Message 21 of 51
latest reply

Yeah it's a bit old fashioned around here! Rural, people still living like their parents did. This bank is really lagging behind and distrusting of the modern era. They still want to use letters instead of emails. Heck they picked up fax when it was already on the way out, lol. Real pretty around here, but do suffer quite a bit when I'm doing modern things. I can get you an '86 John Deer tractor carb no problem, but a fan for a GPU? They don't even know what that is, lol.

Message 22 of 51
latest reply

@neferiusx_8  I've heard good things about Chime - worth looking in to - there are other online banks as well.  https://www.chime.com/

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 23 of 51
latest reply

Mercari and Poshmark will not clear funds to the seller until AFTER the package is delivered and then up to another 3 days for the buyer to either accept or complain about the item received.

So we are talking about a 1 week delivery, plus 3 days= 10 days before sellers get paid. If the item is approved for return, the seller never gets paid and has to pay for return shipping.

Posh charges 20% on sales to the seller

Message 24 of 51
latest reply

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into them. 🙂

Message 25 of 51
latest reply

@neferiusx_8 wrote:

My bank is quite prejudiced against online transactions due to fraud they experienced in the past from Walmart and Target. They now block all online anything. Yes, it's weird, I know. They literally won't accept free money even, lol. I can't deposit my PayPal into my bank, I can however buy things using PayPal with my bank attached to it. They're very weird, but it's all we had here.

I've considered trying an out of state bank, but I've generally heard horror stories about trying to deal with them when they're not in person, though I'll look into it again.

OK, sounds to me like you need another bank.  I understand keeping a local bank, but it doesn't have to be the only bank you bank with.  And you don't have to have a branch in your town to create an account with a reputable bank.  

So if you want to stay selling on Ebay, you need to do your own research.  Find a bank that you like what they have to offer.  Contact them and open a checking account.  It doesn't have to be a difficult process unless you make it one.  

When I opened up a new account last year for a specific purpose I didn't even need to step into my bank to do it.  A few minutes on the phone and some paperwork they sent me, shazam I had a new account.

Message 26 of 51
latest reply

@neferiusx_8 wrote:

Mostly personal business, through PayPal itself. I sell a lotta stuff that comes through my hands or I make myself.  People who buy from me know who I am, but I don't have a lotta way to reach out to new people like I did on ebay. Think like Bricklink, where everybody knows your name. The reason my bank doesn't allow direct deposits is listed in my reply below. Basically they got screwed by some online services and now block them all. Which sadly included ebay.com

Good grief.  The more times you say this the less sense it makes.  It sounds like you might be dealing with a Credit Union.  Either way, I personally wouldn't put up with it and would move on.  While you may not see it right now, you really do have alternatives.  You simply need to do some research.

Message 27 of 51
latest reply

@neferiusx_8 wrote:

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into them. 🙂

WHY?  You still have to have a checking account they can transfer your money to.  So if you aren't willing to get an account at a bank that operates in this century, there is going to be fewer and fewer places you can sell.  And the fees as Chapeau said are MUCH higher than here.

Mercari Pmt Process.JPG

Message 28 of 51
latest reply

It takes up to 6 business days for eBay to process funds into your bank, even with daily payouts.

Message 29 of 51
latest reply

I'm okay with the 2.9% fee. I get my money in 2 hours rather than 6 business days

Message 30 of 51
latest reply