cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex is not accepted with some sellers in the new Managed Payments

I didn't think sellers had this option to not allow a payment type. Today, I see with a particular seller that anytime I go to checkout with one of there items using the new Managed Payments, it says next to my AMEX card, not accepted and is greyed out. I called Managed Payments and Managed Payments accepts AMEX and they said to message the seller to see what is wrong. I told Managed Payments, the seller should not be allowed to do this. You cannot have one seller take one type of card and another seller to not. This is not the way market places are suppose to work. This needs to be addressed.

This is the item https://www.ebay.com/itm/174639437179.

Amex Not Accepted - 03-30-2021.jpg

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Amex is not accepted with some sellers in the new Managed Payments

Yes it is. In the example you used it is using the new Managed Payments and AMEX is allowed. It only happens with these categories: watches, fine jewelry and coins.

I have been able to buy stuff with AMEX with the new Managed Payments and it shows as a payment method under help section for Managed Payments.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/introducing-managed-payments-ebay?id=4795

Message 46 of 68
latest reply

Managed PaymentsManaged PaymentsSeller still with PayPalSeller still with PayPal
 Checkout using cardCheckout using PayPalCheckout using cardCheckout using PayPal
Taboo categoriesAmex not allowedAllows Amex*Amex not allowed**Amex not allowed***
Everything elseAmex not allowedAllows Amex*Allows AmexAllows Amex

*In Managed Payments, when the eBay account at PayPal takes the payment

- eBay has no idea what the buyer paid with for a Taboo category, so Amex is allowed.

- PayPal has no idea whether the payment is for a Taboo category, so Amex is allowed.

Managed Payments hides info at PayPal from eBay, and info at eBay from PayPal.

**For a seller still with PayPal

- When eBay takes a card at Checkout, Amex is not allowed for a Taboo category.

***For a seller still with PayPal

- PayPal sees what the payment is for, so Amex is not allowed for a Taboo category.

Message 47 of 68
latest reply

@azaz_8302 wrote:
 Managed PaymentsManaged PaymentsSeller still with PayPalSeller still with PayPal
 Checkout using cardCheckout using PayPalCheckout using cardCheckout using PayPal
Taboo categoriesAmex not allowedAllows Amex*Amex not allowed**Amex not allowed***
Everything elseAmex not allowedAllows Amex*Allows AmexAllows Amex

*In Managed Payments, when the eBay account at PayPal takes the payment

- eBay has no idea what the buyer paid with for a Taboo category, so Amex is allowed.

- PayPal has no idea whether the payment is for a Taboo category, so Amex is allowed.

Managed Payments hides info at PayPal from eBay, and info at eBay from PayPal.

**For a seller still with PayPal

- When eBay takes a card at Checkout, Amex is not allowed for a Taboo category.

***For a seller still with PayPal

- PayPal sees what the payment is for, so Amex is not allowed for a Taboo category.

@azaz_8302 @computeraidllc @femmefan1946 

I am not sure I  understand what you are trying to convey or where this information came from but as both a seller and a buyer, I have yet to see any declaration from eBay that AMEX is not allowed in specific categories. 

The only information that I have to go off of is eBay's current information pages for Managed Payments which list AMEX as an accepted form of payment with no exclusions specifically called out. 

If there are in fact exclusions for when and where AMEX can or can not be used then eBay needs to make that declaration as well as updating its Managed  Payments information pages.

Sellers are making decisions about their businesses based on this information that is provided by eBay.

As far as I can tell right now from the information provided by eBay AMEX is an accepted form of payment and no exclusions have been identified.

20210402_135224.jpg

Message 48 of 68
latest reply

Wonderful that MP says to contact the seller when it's not even within a seller's boundaries to say what kind of credit card they accept with MP.  It's not that particular seller's doing.

Typical eBay response though.

Message 49 of 68
latest reply

I don't even know where that chart came from because when I try to checkout with Paypal with a managed payment seller for Jewelry or Watches or Coins, it will not let me even select AMEX. So there is no way to even use AMEX ether thru the cart or thru PayPal checkout.

AMEX is even saying that unless it is a bet, a lottery ticket, an explosive, amination or a money order, AMEX is allowed. This is coming directly from AMEX. None of these items are allowed to be even sold on eBay. It is also against AMEX agreement with eBay to deny the use of an AMEX card unless AMEX says you have to block all transactions that contain a certain item.

The seller has no control of which payment types: eBay does and eBay's system is having an issue with managed payments for one of the four major card types. This issue does go against AMEX agreement that eBay has with them.

If you are an AMEX user and run into this, log onto your AMEX account and open up a chat and talk to AMEX about it. They can and will file a formal complaint against eBay. These reports are sent to eBay and if they are not addressed, AMEX can take other actions. I doubt they will but if they get enough reports it could cost eBay more to take your card or they could loose AMEX all together. If AMEX was to do anything it would be higher fees to eBay. I am pretty sure eBay gets a much lower rate than what other companies get, same as Amazon.

Message 50 of 68
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:

I don't even know where that chart came from because

1. when I try to checkout with Paypal

2. with a managed payment seller

3. for Jewelry or Watches or Coins,

4. it will not let me even select AMEX.

So there is no way to even use AMEX ether thru the cart or thru PayPal checkout.

(2) With a Managed Payments seller

(1) at eBay Checkout using PayPal

(3) for that Taboo category item

2zuzhcvuzhchvuhfu8h0vufshuvhsa.jpg

(4) actually Allows Amex as the "Pay with" payment:

2zuzhcvuzhchvuhfu8h0vufshuvhsb.jpg

- "Pay Now"

- with an Amex Cashback Everyday card

- is allowed in Managed Payments

- for the Taboo category item.

Message 51 of 68
latest reply

Well when I did it yesterday it did not let me do that.

Also what is taboo category?

I find no place on site where this chart even exists. Please cite where the information came from for this chart because I went to another seller that has a jewelry item with the old checkout system. It allowed for me to select AMEX from my PayPal account which according to your chart is "Not Allowed."

Also I went to a video game listing that is under the new Managed Payments and it has the AMEX logo on the listing and when I went to checkout, no PayPal involved, it allowed for me to select AMEX and pay. According to your chart "AMEX is not allowed." So please cite the information as it is apparent that it is not accurate.

All the Managed Payment information I see says that AMEX is accepted. https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/introducing-managed-payments-ebay?id=4795 There is no place on the site where it tells me where this category is restricted. According to American Express, jewelry is allowed to be bought and also eBay cannot restrict this under the agreement they have. This is directly from AMEX. AMEX sets the rules for there card not eBay.

Please cite this chart that you made.

Message 52 of 68
latest reply

I know from working in retail/small business outlets that Amex and Discover charge higher fees just to swipe the card than Visa and MC so some small business outlets don't accept the 1st 2.

But eBay shouldn't be passing that along to their sellers.  Interesting post though, thank you for sharing that.

I know I got some kind of messages about things that before MP, sellers were free to sell, now with MP, you can't sell, certain categories.  I can't remember them all but like, either you can sell that shhh here, or you can't.  I mean, simple business policy in my mind. Either the site allows sales of certain items, or they don't, end of story. But not here.

Message 53 of 68
latest reply

payments_team@ebay 

Can you please explain this problem in general terms.  Other buyers are experiencing  the issue of NOT being able to use Amex specifically. 

Message 54 of 68
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:

I went to a video game listing that is under the new Managed Payments and it has the AMEX logo on the listing and when I went to checkout, no PayPal involved, it allowed for me to select AMEX and pay.

In Managed Payments, video games doesn't seem to be a Taboo category:

2zuhfbuh0b0uadfhb0aufhu0had2.jpg

Compare with a Taboo category in Managed Payments:

2zuhfbuh0b0uadfhb0aufhu0had1.jpg

So updating:

Everything elseAllows AmexAllows Amex*Allows AmexAllows Amex

*PayPal doesn't have the foggiest what the payment is for, so all types are allowed

**PayPal may differ with eBay on Taboo categories, allowing Amex when Managed Payments won't

Message 55 of 68
latest reply

Can someone from Managed Payments please chime in on this as this is still on going.

payments_team@ebay

Message 56 of 68
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:

Can someone from Managed Payments please chime in on this as this is still on going.

payments_team@ebay

@computeraidllc 

Today I requested clarification (post # 10) about this issue with AMEX in today's community chat.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-April-14-1-00-pm-PT-General... 

@brittanie@ebay stated that "I've reached out to see what information I can find on this and will let you know."

So hopefully we will get a clear answer here shortly.

Message 57 of 68
latest reply

Hopefully they give us some clarification because I am still seeing this issue and the help pages for Managed Payments has AMEX listed as a payment type but does not say if there are any restrictions on this payment type. AMEX itself has gotten back to me several times and they keep saying that these items are allowed on this payment type.

Message 58 of 68
latest reply

I just messaged with eBay for business on Facebook.  They verified that Brittanie has contacted MP and is waiting for an answer on the Amex card not being shown for coins, fine jewelry, etc for MP sellers .  No news back yet. 

FYI,  there is also a related issue that the Google Pay payment method icon does not appear unless you use specific browsers like Chrome or Edge.  When I look at any listing that is an MP seller, the Google Pay does NOT show in Internet Explorer 11.  I know IE 11 is not fully supported but I thought this might be a clue to the nature of the problem....  If eBay has recently put some sort of "Smart" filter in front of the payment method icons it may have messed things up?  I would think some sort of advisory message would be better than not showing the payment method at all if they magically determine that particular device or buyer account (or buyer not yet logged in) can't use that payment method.  If they are wrong then the sale can be lost. Payment methods should really be determined in the cart with logged in buyer IMO.  Just fishing here while we wait for an answer 😉

Message 59 of 68
latest reply

Well when I try to check out with AMEX on MP listings that AMEX is not shown as a payment method, it says it isn't accepted. It will not let the buyer even enter in an AMEX card number. It stops them after the first two digits.

So I don't think they are related because it isn't a browser issue not displaying AMEX logo in the listing. It will not even let you check out with an AMEX card selected. The original post shows this clearly. It seems to be the category itself has been blacklisted from accepting AMEX even though AMEX allows for Jewelry, Coins and Watches to be bought on that payment type.

Message 60 of 68
latest reply