cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex is not accepted with some sellers in the new Managed Payments

I didn't think sellers had this option to not allow a payment type. Today, I see with a particular seller that anytime I go to checkout with one of there items using the new Managed Payments, it says next to my AMEX card, not accepted and is greyed out. I called Managed Payments and Managed Payments accepts AMEX and they said to message the seller to see what is wrong. I told Managed Payments, the seller should not be allowed to do this. You cannot have one seller take one type of card and another seller to not. This is not the way market places are suppose to work. This needs to be addressed.

This is the item https://www.ebay.com/itm/174639437179.

Amex Not Accepted - 03-30-2021.jpg

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Curious ... are you attempting to purchase something that could be considered to be a cash equivalent?

Message 2 of 68
latest reply

Shouldn't be. It is a piece of jewelry. I have bough from other jewelers online with AMEX before.

Message 3 of 68
latest reply

Sellers have ABSOLUTELY no control over what payment methods show up in their listings. None.

If Amex isn't there, it means there's something about the listing that is causing EBAY to block it, e.g. the category or the seller's location.

What category is the item listed in? Where is the seller located?

Message 4 of 68
latest reply

As stated by another responder, it's not the seller.

It's most likely related to the eBay (sub)category & Managed Payments.

Do you have a Paypal account?

If so, try using your Paypal account to pay, funded by your AMEX card.

Message 5 of 68
latest reply

In the original post, I said I went to another listing in the same category and it accepts AMEX. It seems to be only this one seller. I cannot find any sellers in this category that is having this issue.

Jewelry & Watches>Fine Jewelry>Fine Bracelets>Gemstone

Jewelry is allowed to be bought with AMEX. It isn't a cash equivalent. There is no reason for this. 

The seller is located in Rhoad Island.

Message 6 of 68
latest reply

Many merchants (B&M) will not accept Amex cards because of their higher than average merchant fees, slow disbursements and difficult terms of service.
Amex was one of the first cards generally available and have a terrible reputation with sellers.

Perhaps Ayden, which runs the MP program for eBay, agrees with them.

Of particular interest, and I am spitballing here, would be that they only release payment to the merchant monthly.

MP is already under fire from eBay sellers for the delay between the customer 's card payment and that payment being turned over to the seller. PP was willing to "front" the seller this money and turn it over immediately.  Ayden isn't.

Message 7 of 68
latest reply

I do have a PayPal account but the problem is it shows up on AMEX as a gift card which means I get no rewards for this. eBay has to take care of its customers. eBay has PayPal setup this way which creates issues on its own. I never had this issue before Managed Payments.

If it is the sellers putting the item in the wrong category, eBay has to fix this because it is causing buyer issues. Hopefully, if that is the issue, the seller will fix the listing.  I have ran into this with coins and sellers putting them in bullion which some cards don't allow. It also causes tax issues which is an eBay liability because the wrong tax is collected, which the state government can now come after eBay for. Of course, when I call eBay about this they do NOTHING about it. They need to take care of the customer.

Message 8 of 68
latest reply

@computeraidllc wrote:

In the original post, I said I went to another listing in the same category and it accepts AMEX. It seems to be only this one seller. I cannot find any sellers in this category that is having this issue.

Jewelry & Watches>Fine Jewelry>Fine Bracelets>Gemstone

Jewelry is allowed to be bought with AMEX. It isn't a cash equivalent. There is no reason for this. 

The seller is located in Rhoad Island.

For the other listings that allow AMEX, does the seller use Paypal or Managed Payments?

If they use Managed Payments, you should see Google Pay (or Apple Pay) as an accepted payment method.

I just looked at several listings in that subcategory & only saw AMEX on listings where the seller used Paypal.

Message 9 of 68
latest reply

That makes no sense because what is the point of a marketplace. A seller should not be allowed to not take AMEX or VISA or Discover. I sell items on eBay and I don't even see that option anywhere. I have called Managed Payments about this and eBay accepts AMEX and they did confirm that the seller cannot opt out of one payment type. If this were allowed, it will cause major issues. I can tell you if that is the case, I may end up shopping on other sites.

Message 10 of 68
latest reply

I did not go to see which system they use. But if that is the issue, the seller can fix that by listing in the correct category. Also, if this is actually the case, managed payments should have said something and it should be consider an issue with the seller by violating category policy. It is causing an issue with the buyer. I have ran into this with buying coins where the seller lists it in the bullion category and it isn't a bullion coin. In this case, it also causes a tax issue because bullion is taxed differently than a collectable coin.

This particular item is allowed to be bought with AMEX as it is a finished piece of jewelry and not just raw diamonds or raw silver or raw rubies or what ever.

Message 11 of 68
latest reply

It looks like the category is the issue. I finally found a listing in the new payments system. The thing is is that all the items in the category are finished pieces of jewelry and AMEX allows for them to be bought. I actually called AMEX and they have no issue with this item being bought and there are hundreds of these in this category. eBay needs to do its job and fix this issue. If this category is suppose to be for raw gems, I should be seeing raw gems. If it is suppose to be for finished pieces, that is what I should be seeing. The next category up is for fine bracelets and the one above it is fine jewelry. These all indicate this category is for finished pieces and they are allowed to be bought with this payment type.

I hope the seller responds back to me and fixes the listing or I won't be buying it on eBay period. eBay has an issue and they need to fix it NOW.

Message 12 of 68
latest reply

It seems to also include all fine jewelry.

Message 13 of 68
latest reply

I just checked with the eBay policy for Managed Payments Restricted Items and it isn't listed on there.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/managed-payments-restricted-items-policy?id=5009

Amex has no issues with jewelry because I have contacted them. This seems to be for all fine jewelry. We are not talking about raw materials but finished pieces.

Message 14 of 68
latest reply

It's the seller's responsibility to list in the proper category. eBay does sometimes take action against sellers who don't, but mostly they leave it up to the seller. If a buyer can't pay with their preferred method, they can buy from a seller who does list in the correct category, and eBay still gets its fees.

Message 15 of 68
latest reply