cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Motors announces the eBay Guaranteed Fit Program

I cannot wait for this to roll out and the giant mess it is going to create. To start with ebays compatibility chart is far from being even close to being correct!!! Example the chart lists a 1968 Charger R/T  as having a 318 ci v8....SORRY no such car was produced!  and listing base Charger as having a 426 HEMI & 440 v8 neither of which were produced by Chrysler, Charger R/T in 68 had a 440 or Hemi PERIOD! I have worked for Chrysler and the aftermarket and reproduction of Licensed Musclecars parts since 1970 and use this chart everyday and there are 1000's of error in the Chrysler Plymouth and Dodge Area alone....Not to mention buyers are for the most part NOT familiar with vehicles and problems. Not to mention the endless modifications made to vehicles over the span of its life. Working for Chrysler even the dealerships have issues with getting the correct parts and for the past 10years in order to get a new part to fix your new car you must supply  the VIN number which then is entered into the system and produces a printout(on the computer )of the correct parts that that PARTICULAR vehicle was built with....You have running changes during production and will need build dates and on and on and on and this is only for vehicles built within the last 20 some years, get back into the 60's and older there is NO information to rely on as accurate. EBAY you will REGRET this more than any mistakes you have ever added to the platform. You cannot even get the basic things correct like shipping.....Use Ford for example you have to be a very seasoned person behind the dealership parts counter to figure out what is what. Plus you have Fords from the 1900's on up and various models each year, and you are going to tell me you have this infinite knowledge! You DON'T and NEVER will, there are no programs written to cover what you propose you say you going to guarantee fitment...even the salvage yards now require a VIN number to ASSIST in getting the right parts. I will give this less than a year and you will see even the dealerships fleeing ebay over this and ebay motors will no longer have to worry about parts listings and only be in the new and used vehicle business.....

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: eBay Motors announces the eBay Guaranteed Fit Program

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 46 of 57
latest reply

100% Absolutely.

There ARE the buyers who are too lazy to read descriptions, verify what they have on their own car, message sellers when in doubt....... thereby creating extra returns, expenses, and frustration for sellers.

NOW they are teaching and promoting it.....  Why that's the best thing ever for even the remotely lazy buyer.  Put your info in and you don't have to read Anything !!  Buy, buy, buy and not be held responsible for Anything !

Message 47 of 57
latest reply

Perhaps contact one of the former CEOs who left eBay while the stock price was high?  See if they have any advice.

Message 48 of 57
latest reply

Except I just had this happen on a $1300 fuel tank that was shipped via freight truck and they WILL NOT cover that.  I shipped it there, and I have to ship it back.  All because eBay said it would fit!   UGH!  

Message 49 of 57
latest reply

All of this buyer-centric focus happened back when eBay decided that buyers cannot receive negative feedback.  The balance tilted toward the buyer who had absolute control of the seller's reputation.  Some sellers, like myself, filed lawsuits against people who posted false and defamatory claims in the feedback.  Yup, I even sued eBay in one of my cases.  Got the negative feedback removed too.

If you sell on eBay, you have to basically open yourself up to negative feedback and returns for whatever reason.  If you offer a warranty with the part, you need to honor the warranty otherwise the individual will initiate a chargeback on the purchase and it ends up coming out of your pocket.  I recently received a full refund of suspension parts because the seller refused to communicate and thus, didn't honor the warranty.

I got all my money back and the parts ended up in the recycle bin since the address that they provided for the return of the parts was invalid per USPS.  

Message 50 of 57
latest reply

From experience, total nightmare! Quarantined to fit or what? You can't order anything for a vehicle here any longer. Catalog is totally wrong and the seller will tell you it can't be wrong it's quarantined to fit!

Between the catalog being totally messed up and counterfeit parts this place is useless! 

Message 51 of 57
latest reply

I just ordered a Ford Model A headlight assembly - It doesn't fit my 2022 Mercedes E63AMG.  Seller has to pay return shipping.

Message 52 of 57
latest reply

A lot of worry about nothing.  Been selling since 2005 and been using PC as soon as it was available.  Even parts books will have information within the same book that contradicts itself.  I see it all the time while interchanging part numbers.  

My refunds for ANY reason stay around 2% of sales.  Is my PC 100% correct?  Of course not.  But it beats not having it at all.  

PC issues are NOT the reason buyers end of with items that do not fit.  It is usually lack of reading the listing.  I've sold lots of French Owner's Manuals to Americans who don't speak French.  I just had a complain on a metric speedometer because MPH were the small numbers and a partial king pin set that wasn't complete....duh.

PC was the best creation within ebaymotors to sell and market items (if properly used).  

Roblin's Garage - Classic Auto Salvage - Demorestville / Toronto, Canada
Message 53 of 57
latest reply

I bought a hood release cable that was supposed to fit a 211 chassis and the part number that they sent began with 220, totally wrong car.

Yup - got a full refund.  

Message 54 of 57
latest reply

I'd just like the reason for returns to be narrowed down.
1) item arrived damaged  
2) seller shipped a different item than shown in the listing
3) I accidentally purchased the wrong item.

Message 55 of 57
latest reply

Has anyone had any success with Ebay providing a free shipping label on a return under this program? does the "doesn't fit my vehicle " option exist on the return page? 

had a buyer need to return a  blower resistor due to the Ebay catalog not drilling down far enough to identify  option A or option B.  I explained to the buyer to start a return and claim "item didn't fit my vehicle" and that ebay would send him a prepaid return label.  not sure what he saw on his end?  but he clicked on "did not fit"  which Ebay saw as a remorse return and wanted him to pay shipping.

Somehow, he got through to a CSR who told him I gave him wrong info on the return process, and I was responsible for return shipping   I ended up just refunding and eating the $24 loss      

Has anyone actually seen the "doesn't fit my vehicle' option listed as opposed to just "doesn't fit"?  

Message 56 of 57
latest reply

It Cuts both ways, the catalog defiantly isn't 100% and doesn't drill down far enough on options etc.  as a seller  listing Legit NOS Auto parts by part# and letting the Ebay catalog fill in fitment info and many times the stock photo.   I've yet to have the Guaranteed Fit Program work in cases where it should have.  and have had return shipping bite me you know where, when Ebay should have stepped in.   I ship everything free shipping, so by the time I've paid shipping both ways  the only one who makes out is the USPS.   If I F'up, I Step up and make things right. always have, always will.  Ebay... not so much

Message 57 of 57
latest reply