cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serpentine Belts

I've owned my 1935 Ford with a Ford 5.0L HO engine for just over a year now. I've always have had noise coming from the serpentine belt. I've cleaned, replaced belts, checked alignment, changed pulleys, even applied some belt dressing, which I do not like doing and still squeals.

It started squealing worse after replacing the AC compressor.

I've taken sand paper, wire brushes, and files to remove the shine from the belts, no luck. I got to reading several forums on serpentine belts and decided to try a new Bando belt. All of the previous belts are Gates. I looked up the equivilent Bando belt replacement for the Gates. Got the belt yesterday, compared the two belts and what a difference.

The Bando belt was thicker, softer, and ppeared to be a better quality belt than the Gates. Bando is belts are on just over 60% of the new USA vehicles and have been around for years.

Installed the belt, adjusted it, started the car and no noise, no squealing. I'm going to order a spare belt and get rid of these Gates. I didn't know there would be that much difference in the different brand of belts. Also, the Bando belt was allmost $2.00 cheaper than the Gates.  

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Serpentine Belts

When the mechnic replaced the AC compressor and installed a new belt, he had routed it incorrectly. It was rubbing on the lower aftermarket alternator bracket and it still squealed when accelerating.

When routed incorrectly, both the alternator and AC compressor have to be loosened nearly all the way out. The pulleys/belt have been checked numerous times for alignment. The new Bando belt is on, it appears to working correctly.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply