cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serpentine Belts

I've owned my 1935 Ford with a Ford 5.0L HO engine for just over a year now. I've always have had noise coming from the serpentine belt. I've cleaned, replaced belts, checked alignment, changed pulleys, even applied some belt dressing, which I do not like doing and still squeals.

It started squealing worse after replacing the AC compressor.

I've taken sand paper, wire brushes, and files to remove the shine from the belts, no luck. I got to reading several forums on serpentine belts and decided to try a new Bando belt. All of the previous belts are Gates. I looked up the equivilent Bando belt replacement for the Gates. Got the belt yesterday, compared the two belts and what a difference.

The Bando belt was thicker, softer, and ppeared to be a better quality belt than the Gates. Bando is belts are on just over 60% of the new USA vehicles and have been around for years.

Installed the belt, adjusted it, started the car and no noise, no squealing. I'm going to order a spare belt and get rid of these Gates. I didn't know there would be that much difference in the different brand of belts. Also, the Bando belt was allmost $2.00 cheaper than the Gates.  

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Serpentine Belts

Gates may be the most popular brand....but I've heard nothing but bad things about them- whether from mechanics, machinists, farmers (Lots of belts on farm machinery!)... I've learned to avoid 'em at all cost.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Serpentine Belts

10 or 15 years ago they were a good brand but now half their products are made in China. Continental, Mitsuboshi, Bando, Goodyear are what I look for.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Serpentine Belts

@atikovi wrote:

10 or 15 years ago they were a good brand but now half their products are made in China. Continental, Mitsuboshi, Bando, Goodyear are what I look for.

24 hours later, I'm still impressed with the Bando serpentine belt. Today, will be attending a car show avbout 70 miles away and the weather will be warm enough to have the AC turned on. This will give the belt the best test.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Serpentine Belts

Something I have seen on some Ford 5.0s is that the belt will not grip the alternator pulley properly.

The naked eye will not reveal a problem.

However,  if one takes a socket/ ratchet and tries to rotate the alternator pulley nut (engine off of course) it's possible that the pulley may creep on the belt. The alternator pulley should move very little it at all under pressure from the socket.

Other possibilities could be a flaky belt tensioner.  Since AC compressor replacement is mentioned high head pressure (overcharging, restriction in the high pressure side, or lack of airflow through the condenser) is also a possibility.

Just something to think about if the problem surfaces again.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Serpentine Belts

Thanks for the information Rip. Everything seems to be working fine right now.

I do not have an idler pulley, but wish I did. The belt runs on the pulleys of the alternator,  AC compressor, crankshaft, and the backside of the belt runs the water pump pulley. 

There is a lot of airflow through the condensor, as the temperature is between 165 to 175, runs very cool all the time. I have the fan adjusted to run when the temp gets to 160 and may set it to 170. i really don't think this will make it run warmer, the thermostat for the fan wasn't working when I bought it and it stayed cool.

I'll check the AC system, but like I say, changing to the Bando belt resolved my issues for now.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Serpentine Belts

There is always a correct part, you can buy, that will not work. I have run into this and I do not understand it. 

Years back, speedometer cable issue. One place sold me a correct part that did not fit. Took it back, they did not have the correct correct part. Went to another place. Counter guy said "I can sell you a part that won't work either", then, he sold me the correct correct part.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Serpentine Belts

That reminds me of the old scenario:

"How much do you want for a framis valve?"

"$20."

"Place down the street sells 'em for $15."

"Buy it there, then."

"Can't, they're out of stock".

"Well when we're out of 'em, the we only charge $10.!".

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Serpentine Belts

Oddly, framis valve sellers on eBay do the opposite. They raise the price to $999. It is called a "place holder listing". 

I come across this in sold listings every now and again. When the seller updates the list price, it updates the sold price. I be like "Whut?".

I get all hinky and wanna load up on $999 framis valves, and then go, wait a sec, this can't be right. 

Kinda like "Black Diamond" Disney VHS tapes. That, is one heck of an urban myth.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Serpentine Belts

@mr.elmwood

Went to the parts store for a 1972 Triumph GT-6 wheel bearing.

Guy says we don't have that.

I say give me one for a Spitfire.

He says what year ?

Well it don't matter Dude.

Every Triumph, used the same wheel bearing.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Serpentine Belts

They walk among us.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Serpentine Belts

And how come myths are always urban, these days? Aren't hillbillies gullible anymore? I mean, people who buy their wardrobes and furniture at Walmart, surely have not surpassed hipsters in the field of determining credibility......

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Serpentine Belts

Hillbillies, around here, shop at the landfill site. They drive down the tracks and come in through the back.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Serpentine Belts

Hillbillies here dispose of their filthy, broken old Walmart carp by putting it in their driveway and putting price tags on it. Then there's the class of people below that....who buy it!

Although, there were no lack of hillbillies in NY either...

True NY story: I'm walking my dog one day, before moving. This woman I'd seen a few times who "liked" me (just my luck) was dumpster diving. She sees me coming, and pulls a pair of mangey, garbage-juice splattered, leprous men's shoes out of the dumpster, and says something to indicate that she wishes to bestow them upon me.... I threw-up in my mouth.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Serpentine Belts

I once had an early 90s era Ford pickup that we sold and had a squealing belt noise.  We replaced the belt which looked old but the squealing persisted.  

It turns out that we had the belt routed wrong.  There were two different belt diagrams and one ends up being just a bit different, just enough to give the belt some room to squeal.

In another vehicle that was also a Ford, we found misalignment with the pulleys that would do the same thing.  

Message 15 of 16
latest reply