cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Dropdown Menus - Trigger Too Quickly

Can you please build in a fraction of a second delay before triggering the dropdown?

Simply moving your cursor past them while trying to get to something on the  lower part of the screen will trigger them which causes the dropdown to obscure the entire screen and cause a moment of frustration trying to figure out what happened and how to make it go away so that I can continue with what I was doing.

Also, that continuing to what I was doing often involves moving the cursor around the perimeter of the screen to avoid triggering the menus, like trying to navigate through a minefield.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

They could easily do that if they choose.

I just wiped it out completely as I have no use for it and find it annoying.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Well, teach us how to do it! I hate that drop-down with a passion I haven't felt since seeing the movie "Elf."
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Simple CSS rule takes care of it.

Browsers have no native capability to implement user CSS (except older Firefox and very old Chrome versions), so either Adblock Plus, uBlock Origin, Stylus, Stylish, reStyle for Firefox, or Stylus, Adblock, uBlock origin, or whatever else exists can be used.

Edge, Opera, and Safari have some options also. Pretty sure IE users are totally out of luck except for possible use of user stylesheets (see below the Stylish rule). Edge, and Safari users have adblocker options mostly, but Edge apparently can use TamperMonkey addon to implement userstyles (styles have to be converted to scripts to be used.)

(about 75 addons - many I have tweaked - are why I have stuck with Firefox since Phoenix 0.5, and why I stick with older Firefox versions).

The adblockers can implement the CSS via element hiding rules, and the ones newer than the very old versions I use (Firefox Adblock Plus v2.6.13 Nov 2015), have capability to right click on things and create the hiding rules for you. I create my rules manually by inspecting with Firebug and writing the rule myself as I would for Stylish if I were going to go that route. (I use Stylish v1.4.31  in Firefox 31)

Adblock Plus rule

community.ebay.com##navbar.top-menus.header-navigation-main>div.menu-wrap>div.left-side-menu

Stylish rule

@-moz-document domain('community.ebay.com'){
 navbar.top-menus.header-navigation-main>div.menu-wrap>div.left-side-menu
  {display:none !important;}
}

The Stylish rule can be pasted directly in a usercontent.css file in the Firefox profile to preclude having to install any addons. Chrome took away usercontent capability a while back, and Safari, Edge, IE, and Opera may (still?) allow user styles  https://beamtic.com/custom-style-sheets

GreaseMonkey/TamperMonkey script

// ==UserScript==
// @name        Hide eBay Forum NavMenu
// @namespace   local
// @description Hide eBay Community Forum Dropdown Nav Menu
// @include     https://community.ebay.com/*
// @version     0.1
// @grant       none
// ==/UserScript==
var navmenu=document.querySelectorAll('navbar.top-menus.header-navigation-main>\
div.menu-wrap>div.left-side-menu'); if(navmenu[0] != null)navmenu.setAttribute('style', 'display:none', 'important');

(The above is the type of thing that is amenable to adding to a general eBay Community forums fixups script as just another rule instead of having 49 separate scripts).

Adblock Plus element hiding rules seem to be (from what I've read and been told) portable to the other adblockers, and Stylish rules seem to also be portable to the other user content enabling addons (uBlock origin, Stylus, etc). Simple GreaseMonkey scripts port to TamperMonkey directly (I think)

Note that Stylish has run into troubles* recently - the addon changed ownership and went rogue dirtbag. Stylus appears to be a "clean" alternative for Firefox. Don't know what the alternatives are for Chrome.

*https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/07/stylish-extension-with-2m-downloads-banished-...

(one can often divine lots of useful info from reading the comments on an Arstechnica article, like alternatives or workarounds)

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/01/04/major-stylish-add-on-changes-in-regards-to-privacy/

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Minor correction to previous post

>>Browsers have no native capability to implement user CSS (except older Firefox and very old Chrome versions), so either...

Firefox, at least through version 58, supports use of usercontent.css, as did very old Chrome versions, and as I mention further down in the post, Opera, Safari, IE, and Edge may offer some native capability to apply user css without addons.

(this is what happens when I try to cover all possibilities, including those for browsers I don't use, combined with the awfulness of the forum editor when composing long messages with a lot of back and forth cutting, pasting, content moving, etc)
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Can you please build in a fraction of a second delay before triggering the dropdown?

Wish I could give about 75 "Helpful"s to this post.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I with that posts on Community Platform Feedback  would get more replies/responses for eBay reps, especially those relating to the recent changes.

Right now I feel like I'm wasting my time with a rant rather than providing feedback.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

with = wish

VintageCarMagazines

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Maybe they are recouping from the eBay Open?
I’ll answer for them.
Thanks for your feedback, will send the information along to the appropriate team.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@vintage-car-magazines wrote:

Simply moving your cursor past them while trying to get to something on the  lower part of the screen will trigger them which causes the dropdown to obscure the entire screen and cause a moment of frustration trying to figure out what happened and how to make it go away so that I can continue with what I was doing.

Also, that continuing to what I was doing often involves moving the cursor around the perimeter of the screen to avoid triggering the menus, like trying to navigate through a minefield.

Hi @vintage-car-magazines,

Thanks for sharing! I've experienced the menus dropping down inadvertently too. I think we can make some tweaks to it. We're working on a couple of updates right now; we'll get to it soon. 

Apologies for the delay, our team was at eBay Open all last week.

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
I’ll answer for them.
Thanks for your feedback, will send the information along to the appropriate team.

Not quite right, @loveyourimagination49

We were at eBay Open last week, that is correct. 

We are the team responsible for the Community platform, so we'll take ownership of this. 

eBay is a large global company, that means that sometimes we do need to work with different teams across the organization to get information to answer questions, sorry if that disappoints you 😢

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
I’ll answer for them.

Not quite right, @loveyourimagination49

We were at eBay Open last week, that is correct. 

We are the team responsible for the Community platform, so we'll take ownership of this. 

eBay is a large global company, that means that sometimes we do need to work with different teams across the organization to get information to answer questions, sorry if that disappoints you 😢

alan@ebay

I didn’t mean any offense to you. I forgot to use the 😉 at the end of that. I appreciate all that you and your team do. My apologies 😞.

Keep up the great work. Thank You!

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Hi alan@ebay

Thanks for your reply. I'm looking foward to seeing the changes.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Thanks Bruce  and Alan, I thought I'd get used to avoiding the dropdowns, but hasn't happened so far and sure is annoying.............

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Saw a test(?) briefly this morn.......instead of drop down menu, had More on top left side screen....and in it the main subjects which then had links to various boards......  not being critical.....but that's not going to give the overview of all the stuff available......each "window" seemed limited to 5/6/7 links so there more than a few clicks to get to various boards.....

I'm ok with the big menu, if it's just static......i.e. we have to click on it for the drop downs to show.  It's it being a curser sensitive popup that's the problem at least to me.

@vintage-car-magazines

don't know how you feel about it........

Message 15 of 20
latest reply