cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Standard Envelop For Coins - USPS Says NO Coins

* I have been using eBay Standard Envelopes for coins.

* I have been DILIGENTLY following the guidelines.

* I have sent dozens of cheap coins with no problem.

* Now, the Post Office says that coins cannot be sent using this service.

* The Post Office now tells me that coins must be sent non-machinable and charge me more.

eBay says - Use this service for coins

USPS says - You CANNOT use this service for coins 

Does anyone have any advice?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: eBay Standard Envelop For Coins - USPS Says NO Coins

Machinable is a roller system, so the package needs to be able to 'roll' through, like an old Towel/Rag double crank Squeegee at the .25c Car Wash you see at the sink. A 'coin' might've went through so Ebay, and possibly USPS, were ok with it. Now, people send a 6"x4" Hard Cased Proof Set and they CANNOT roll through the machines. 

So, USPS just said no to all. 

My advice, go by what USPS says; eBay may just be a bit behind USPS new edict. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I have only sent cheap coins (many of the same denomination, mostly pennies.)  I have mailed dozens of them went with no problems.

Now I am being told by the USPS that coins CANNOT be sent with the eBay Standard Envelop.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I think there was very little communication between USPS and Ebay when this service came out. I had several questions in the beginning and nobody at the Post Office even knew about ESE. I won't be surprised if this service eventually gets canned because way too many people abusing and improperly packing envelopes. As long as you are in compliance the P.O. doesn't need to know what you are sending.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

For sure.  I would understand if I were doing something wrong.  I would not complain.

But when eBay says SEND COINS and the USPS says NO COINS.  It is very frustrating.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Who are you going to listen to? 

Ebay? who has no hand in handling/managing the mail ("do what I say, not what I do")?  Or USPS that is going to be the ones responsible for delivering the goods, and in acceptable condition?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@bushido77 wrote:

I have only sent cheap coins (many of the same denomination, mostly pennies.)  I have mailed dozens of them went with no problems.

Now I am being told by the USPS that coins CANNOT be sent with the eBay Standard Envelop.

Yes; and I told you why in Post #2 which you are responding to.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@bushido77 wrote:

For sure.  I would understand if I were doing something wrong.  I would not complain.

But when eBay says SEND COINS and the USPS says NO COINS.  It is very frustrating.

Frustrating, maybe, to be given contradictory information but there is no reason to be frustrated about what do do, because that is obvious and simple:  Do as the USPS says.

-

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I remember this exchange from childhood. "Go ask your dad." "I did, he said to ask you!"

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I think what  you are dealing with is a local PO policy. I used to hand all my shipping in over the counter. My local PO "feels up" the envelope to see if it is lumpy and doesn't like my coin envelopes. I now drop them in the box outside and they go right to the truck from there and off to the sorter. Never a problem. 

I've had similar issues in the past with first class parcels, they are supposed to be a certain minimum thickness. Now I throw a few packing peanuts in, keeps the casual groper from feeling the coins in the package, and makes them thick enough not to tick off the postal worker. 

Try just not interacting with the staff at the PO, unless they are returning your envelopes instead of shipping them? Then perhaps a problem at the sorting facility or you are just putting too many in the envelope (not more than 3, 2 is better!)

Message 10 of 10
latest reply