cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller selling fake Silver Eagle coins

I recently ordered 10 Silver eagle coins.  Today I removed some of the coins from the plastic round containers they were in and could immediately tell they were fakes.  Coins were too thick, to wide, weighed to little and the details were off.  I just requested a refund from ebay and sent the coins back to the seller.  Also, I see that the seller sold 138 lots of the same counterfeit coins.  Is Ebay going to cancel the sellers account. Is Ebay going to notify all of the buyers to check their coins.  If not, shame on ebay. 

I spent a good amount of time on ebay today trying to figure out how to get hold of a live person at ebay to no avail.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Seller selling fake Silver Eagle coins

What were the companies m

names. We also received fake coins and can't get ahold of anyone. 2 separate companies but same contact site. Feeling lost. What did you do?

Message 16 of 45
latest reply

There are tons of these and they are all over the net. Buy your silver eagles from reputable sources and if you are mail ordering take them to a local coin shop if you can for checking. If you are buying silver make sure you have a scale and know how to do the magnet test. (see youtube if you don't). I've seen magnetic and non magnetic, good and bad fakes in the past year,  and those sneaky silver bars with "100 mills fine silver" (plated copper). I've seen fake silver eagles, fake morgan and peace dollars, fake walkers, franklins, barber halfs, mercs, and barber dimes. Of course I run a coin shop so garbage comes in the door for checking.

The most highly faked coin I've heard of is the 1/10 ounce gold eagle. Best part is it is often faked in pure gold. It's the US eagle premium they are after. 

Message 17 of 45
latest reply

Some of the photos are real products, and the ones shipped to you are fake products🙄

Message 18 of 45
latest reply

The Chinese government doesn't care what the people rely on to live, the epidemic covid19 has been going on for 3 years, and the subsequent economic collapse.No government official has ever asked ordinary people how to live.So, it is best not to buy from the Chinese even they sell the real ones.How could the Chinese export American silver coins to the United States?

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

I recently received a terrible example of a fake eagle.  Seller had 100% positive feedback.  I asked for a refund and was told I would receive it. Then eBay told me that the seller couldn’t print a return label. eBay eventually came back to me and said I was going to receive a refund. The seller closed his account, and then I got a message to return the coin to some other destination that had some very odd feedbacks Buyers like one coin and E coin from places in Morocco and so forth. There’s definitely a lot of fraud on eBay. My suggestion is that we only buy coins from actual dealers with thousands of sales and are located only in the US

Message 20 of 45
latest reply

I purchased 5 Silver Eagles from 4 different sellers on eBay. All 5 are fakes. Tried to contact eBay and they are impossible to great ahold of. I contacted the secret service office in Phoenix. They told me they had a couple of other complaints. I was told to go ahead and destroy them. DO NOT SEND THEM BACK. If you send them back knowing they are fake you are committing a Felony. At that point you know they are counterfeit and the secret service should be contacted. Since I know the ones I have are fakes and was told it was to destroy them I cut them into pieces and tossed them in the trash. All 5 together may have come to a total of .50 worth of brass. If I didn't have experience with real ones I never would have known they was fake. These coins, even though they are worth much more than the face value are legal tender. If yours is a fake it should be reported to the secret service. Maybe if enough of us report them they will do something to keep eBay from selling them. eBay is allowing this to happen.

Message 21 of 45
latest reply

I wish I would have read this post before I purchased mine. eBay is a joke.

Message 22 of 45
latest reply

@bulldog82566 wrote:

I contacted the secret service office in Phoenix. Since I know the ones I have are fakes and was told it was to destroy them I cut them into pieces and tossed them in the trash.

I am surprised the Secrete Service in Phoenix did not want the coins as evidence.  I thought they were the government entity responsible for investigating counterfeiting of USA money?  Maybe they do not care since these are collector items that would not be put in to circulation causing a disruption to the flow of money.  But then again this is causing the US Mint to loose out on sales and profits of the legitimate coins.  Maybe the US Mint should investigate?

Message 23 of 45
latest reply

I was told the threshold for prosecution is about $50,000 in fraudulent sales. Can happen easily but you won't know. I've reported some fakes brought in over the counter and the feds did send someone to talk to the guy trying to sell them. 

Message 24 of 45
latest reply

Never ever buy eagles on ebay that use stock photos

Edit: oops I already said this earlier in the thread. (Its an old thread)

Message 25 of 45
latest reply

I only buy from trusted eBay sellers. If it's too good to be true it usually is.

Message 26 of 45
latest reply

Never never ever buy silver or gold from china or any other country other than the USA.

Message 27 of 45
latest reply

Bulldog,

Can you tell me what country the seller that sold you the counterfeit coins was from?

Message 28 of 45
latest reply

Can you tell us the name of the seller so others won't get caught in the same scam???

Message 29 of 45
latest reply

I never received a Coach purse I purchased from a bogus seller who made off with the $$.

Ebay promptly refunded my credit card as they could never find the shipping!!

They were good about it.

Message 30 of 45
latest reply