cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller selling fake Silver Eagle coins

I recently ordered 10 Silver eagle coins.  Today I removed some of the coins from the plastic round containers they were in and could immediately tell they were fakes.  Coins were too thick, to wide, weighed to little and the details were off.  I just requested a refund from ebay and sent the coins back to the seller.  Also, I see that the seller sold 138 lots of the same counterfeit coins.  Is Ebay going to cancel the sellers account. Is Ebay going to notify all of the buyers to check their coins.  If not, shame on ebay. 

I spent a good amount of time on ebay today trying to figure out how to get hold of a live person at ebay to no avail.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

I recently bought a five dollar Indianhead 1910 S  gold coin when I received it, I did not check or take it out of it little package right away when I did it felt lite I put it on a scale. It only weighed a little over 4 g it should have been almost 8g and it didn’t look right and I brought it to a friend of mine he put it on a machine. It showed it was like 90% copper with gold coated! I sell and buy on eBay this is the second time I’ve been burnt on a coin I am sending it back to the seller for a refund. I sent the Coin back. I wonder how many coins they have sold that are fake? they have quite a bit of feedback really no negative. I think eBay is gonna have to start having sellers have their coins checked out to certified. Any coins I have I have checked out prior to selling them. Best of luck to all Ebay buyers! And Sellers

Message 31 of 45
latest reply

The top one is fake 

Message 32 of 45
latest reply

I purchased off another well-known site several silver coin collection series.  All were encased in little plastic cases.  I thought buying through a well-known site I was receiving the real things.  All were fakes.  I filed with my credit card to get my money back and was instructed to return them to the seller.  I tried, and a couple of months later, after I received my refund, I received the coins back, with most plastic cases smashed...I reported the fakes, and would gladly hand them over to an official, but I don't think anyone cared as I received no response.

FakesFakes

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 33 of 45
latest reply

Since it was silver eagles, It is definitely a counterfeit case and should be reported to the Secret service. Your action could help the general public from getting scammed. If you don't feel comfortable reporting. let me know the sellers ebay username and I can take care of it for you.

Message 34 of 45
latest reply

I bought so called silver coins on eBay a few week ago.  When I got them I had them tested at a local coin shop on there SIGMA tester.  They tested negative for silver. Dealer flabbergasted at the almost perfect quality.   He said they were so good he would have never removed from the  plastic. Called the CIA and they said good luck, buyer beware. the listing said US dealer and gave a US  address.  Waiting for eBay to return my money. Dealer nowhere to be found.  Here's how this will play out.  When silver and gold goes up in price a lot of unaware folks will want to sell their  coins they bought on ebay.  The coin dealer will say sorry but you've been had not real.  This will be long after there 30 day return date has expired.   When it gets out say on TV or the net that thousand of people over the years  were scammed, some bright law firm will start a class action sute.  I can see it now, if you have been burned buying  misleading counterfeit goods on eBay call this number now.

Message 35 of 45
latest reply

Same scam here.  Ebay says a customer service representative reviewed my claim and said there was no violation of ebay policy.  **bleep**?  THIS IS A SELLER OF COUNTERFEIT US CURRENCY!  How can ebay say this is okay?  I'm still pursuing this as it's really pissing me off.  Ebay CANNOT allow a violation of Federal law with their own "policy".  

Message 36 of 45
latest reply

In the real world "If the price or deal is to good to be true".......................

My father would always say "A fool and his money are soon parted" 

Message 37 of 45
latest reply

So I am looking for silver and I see this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/135064664454?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao... - 10 ounces of silver (high end US silver Eagles about $425 US dollars) being sold for $180.00. I sent the info to the Ebay BOTs and of course bots don't know the difference between the sale of silver and the actual price of silver, so it did not raise any flags. Anyway, they have sold about 18,000 of these in the past few days...maybe more under different ebay accounts. The silver they are selling cannot be real. China has been making fake US silver coins (plated) for over 20 years, and we have found 100's of them just using a magnet. Anyway, Ebay knows this is going on or they would have stopped it. The thing is, people won't even know what thewy have bought isn't silver until it's tested, and very few people do that. they buy these, put them in their drawer or safe, and forget about them. This is absolutely a crime, and as long as Ebay makes money from the sales, they don't care. When you see precious metals being sold for half price, please don't be a moron and buy it. Just like all the other scams going around, if it's too good to be true, it isn't!

Message 38 of 45
latest reply

Only bought two, and the bid price was 25.99.  This was when silver was 27 dollars an ounce.  If someone was looking to liquidate their coins for quick cash, I would expect such pricing.  They were described as American silver eagle coins, .999 fine silver.  They are however counterfeits, and the listing was false.  Ebay is condoning the sale of counterfeit US currency, so an accessory to the crime, since they will not shut the seller down.

Message 39 of 45
latest reply

Over the last few days I have reported numerous examples of the fraud to Ebay. Not getting much from them other than AI looked into it. 

I notified the local branch of the Secret Service - this is counterfeiting U S Currency - I thought. If they are selling fake U S Coins, I learned, it is surely Counterfeiting.

I've reported several examples to Ebay.

I am Planning on writing to Ebay's  Executive  team  tomorrow. 

Please goggle Silver Eagle Scam

Surely, you have heard of drug mules. Is Ebay a counterfeit U S Coin Mule for China???

I am Very concerned for the unsuspecting buyers who may be spending their hard earned money for what they think is part of their retirement.

If I, a little old fat man can see this - why doesn't Ebay???  

Message 40 of 45
latest reply

Agreed.  When I contacted ebay they said that they investigated my case and found nothing wrong, so they must be in on it, or simply taking their "cut" and do not care.  I suppose the only solution for now is deal with established sellers who have been dealing for years.  Even if the price is higher the risk of a worthless counterfeit is too great.  

Message 41 of 45
latest reply

Top one is fake?

Message 42 of 45
latest reply

@snhsru-iuv6bao wrote:

Top one is fake?

The one on the left is the fake one.

Message 43 of 45
latest reply

I see a lot of silver Canadian Maple Leafs and Silver Eagles going to $22 dollars from China when the price of silver is 10 dollars higher. Certainly, these are fakes, but there they are on eBay. I have come to understand that eBay is all about making money, and they really don't care about the Chinese sellers. 

Message 44 of 45
latest reply

@echotech_equipment wrote:

I see a lot of silver Canadian Maple Leafs and Silver Eagles going to $22 dollars from China when the price of silver is 10 dollars higher. Certainly, these are fakes, but there they are on eBay. I have come to understand that eBay is all about making money, and they really don't care about the Chinese sellers. 

Message 45 of 45
latest reply