cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"BEST OFFERS" IGNORED !!

It should be a breach of ebay's policies and 'contract' of a seller who advertises for a best offer and then doesn't even acknowledge one !! That seems fraudulent to me. Certainly it is unethical & I won't shop with a seller who does that

Message 1 of 107
latest reply
106 REPLIES 106

Re: "BEST OFFERS" IGNORED !!

.....................👍👍

Message 76 of 107
latest reply

IF I WAS SOLICITING AN OFFER AND IGNORED IT, I WOULD BE JUST AS GUILTY. BUT THAT IS NOT THE CASE. GET THE FACTS CORRECT

Message 77 of 107
latest reply

I'll say it again...if I was SOLICITING a best offer then I would be just as remiss !! But that is NOT the case when a seller sends an UNSOLICITED offer  

Message 78 of 107
latest reply

@aben7154 wrote:

IF I WAS SOLICITING AN OFFER AND IGNORED IT, I WOULD BE JUST AS GUILTY. BUT THAT IS NOT THE CASE. GET THE FACTS CORRECT

After reading some of your replies here I have to ask...

Are you including messages with those offers you send to sellers?

Message 79 of 107
latest reply

This was something I was totally not aware of and puts the 'blame' on ebay without any doubt !!! Thank you for pointing that out...I will cpnsider that from now on when I do not get a respose from the seller !! Ebay has changed A LOT from the 'good ole days'. Ethics seem to be a thing of the past. Also, just fyi....I am a respectful qualified buyer & make only reasonable offers. I also will usually add a message to my offer so the seller will know my good intent, Anyway thank you for the best answer to my complaint !!!

Message 80 of 107
latest reply

Yeah, well, you sure as hell haven't been respectful on this forum, have you. 

@aben7154 wrote:

This was something I was totally not aware of and puts the 'blame' on ebay without any doubt !!! Thank you for pointing that out...I will cpnsider that from now on when I do not get a respose from the seller !! Ebay has changed A LOT from the 'good ole days'. Ethics seem to be a thing of the past. Also, just fyi....I am a respectful qualified buyer & make only reasonable offers. I also will usually add a message to my offer so the seller will know my good intent, Anyway thank you for the best answer to my complaint !!!

Message 81 of 107
latest reply

@aben7154 wrote:

@aben7154 
Then I recommend you go back to Message #5 and choose it as your 'Best Answer'.  There's no point in continuing this thread.

Message 82 of 107
latest reply

Many times sellers not responding to offers that 5-10% lower than asking price on items that worth $$$…and this is in case of collectibles that have extremely limited buyer segment…p.s.in some cases the sellers whom ignored my offers, respond a few days/weeks later willing to accept my it,only to realize that they are late …being a good seller takes more than selling and shipping merchandise..🍸

Message 83 of 107
latest reply

Well, it’s only business..nothing personal…if you want to be successful in retail or any other business, keeping feelings at home could be the best..🧐p.s from my personal experience and becoming multi millionaire from years in retail/mail order/ internet sales …🤷

Message 84 of 107
latest reply

Well said..let’s have a scenario where Mr.X makes an offer on item and got ignored…he still interested in the item and day later found similar one from other seller and buys it…suddenly few hours later first seller accepts offer …now buyer must pay for two items…I understand that it works both ways, but new implementation by eBay, making buyers to be charged automatically upon seller accepting offer, makes headaches for everyone and in this case, for buyers…would be nice if there is a timeframe of about 12 hours to accept/ decline offers..business only..

Message 85 of 107
latest reply

eBay is not Amazon. Many 'sellers', myself included have day jobs that pay very well. Those jobs take precedence. So, some people may not immediately respond. Besides, eBay explicitly states they have 24 hours to respond. They also explicitly state that they can simply let the offer expire. I'm fairly sure that they did some research before settling on 24 hours. And as it happens, if a seller makes an offer to a buyer (if a buyer has added it to their watchlist), the buyer has 48 hours to respond. Twice as long.

I don't sell because I need the money. I sell because I need the space or am doing a general clear out. 

However, just because I do not need the money, it does not mean I'm just going to give it away (who knows, I may need it down the road). If I wanted to net 30 percent of it's true value after fees and shipping, I'd just donate it and file a deduction on my taxes. 

Lastly, despite what I said above,  I for one actually do respond pretty quickly. usually within an hour, because I am able to unless I am on a flight or driving somewhere. But if the offer is under 50 percent, I do not even counter. I decline and block..

Message 86 of 107
latest reply

I've never posted in here before and have no idea how to do that.. I thought clicking helpful to your message would suffice.  Actually the responses to my post have been just as disturbing as my feelings against not hearing back on an offer.  

Message 87 of 107
latest reply

@aben7154,

You just posted:

"Actually the responses to my post have been just as disturbing as my feelings against not hearing back on an offer". 

Maybe you are expecting too much from those of us who volunteer to help people on these boards. Even the Mentors have no contact with ebay management far enough up the corporate ladder, who would be able to effect a change of policy. 

All we can do is explain what ebay allows currently, and has allowed in the past.  Many changes ebay has made affect some buyers and many sellers adversely, but usually not enough of them to make further changes.  They did try giving buyers time limits for their offers, but it caused more problems than it solved. 

My advice is do not send offers when you are not willing to wait 24 hours for a reply to them or for expiration.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 88 of 107
latest reply

@aben7154 wrote:

I've never posted in here before and have no idea how to do that.. I thought clicking helpful to your message would suffice.   

@aben7154 

Aside from giving ‘Helpfuls’ to any post you like … you can also choose one post as the ‘Best Answer’’.  Here’s how you do that:

* Go to Message #5 … the 5th post in this thread that you said was best.

* Scroll down to the bottom of the post, where you’ll see two buttons:  Reply and Best Answer.

* Click on ‘Best Answer’. 

[Note that you can always unselect the post as Best Answer at any time if you change your mind or you ever hit that button by mistake.]

If you are unable to do the above … you can post back here, and I can do it for you.  Just let me know.

Message 89 of 107
latest reply

The exact text from ebay's   "make an offer query" is:   Best Offer lets you offer the seller a price you’re willing to pay for the item. The seller can accept, reject, or counter your offer by suggesting another price.  "IGNORE"  is NOT listed as a seller option here. Ignore is simply a seller made up reason for not replying in  a courteous and timely manner.

Message 90 of 107
latest reply