cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need BLOCK SELLER function

Since there is a block buyer function why has it not been made available for buyers to block sellers that have been disingenuous or difficult?

Message 1 of 147
latest reply
146 REPLIES 146

Re: need BLOCK SELLER function

@chmskis wrote:

With all due respect, I am allowed as a long time buyer with a stellar record to disagree. The last couple years it has become more and more apparent that a way to block sellers is a GOOD idea for buyers. It allows buyers the option to not even see items from sellers for any number of reasons.  If sellers pay for the block function then it should be the same way for buyers if it is offered [and vice versa].

But alas what buyers are finding out is that the functions of this site are not PRO buyer and the buyers are not listened to. This issue has been discussed on multiple occasions in muliple threads and all I read is reasons why it will not be done --- when it would be very simple to just offer it.

******************************************************************************************

I apologize~~I did not know you were an IT person.  Please explain how and why it would be so easy to just offer it.  What would it involve, how it would affect the functionality of the rest of the site, how simple the programming and software would be, etc.  That would be a fascinating read, and very informative and would certainly back up your viewpoint.  I did not know you were so well versed with how the site runs.   Thank you!

Of course you can disagree.  

But sadly, it would be a good idea to charge buyers for the service, even though sellers do not pay for the BBL.  It all goes back to the buyer being able to choose who to buy from, but the seller being unable to choose who to sell to without the list.  Without the BBL, sellers would be forced to sell to those who they don't want to do business with, and that does not conform to the law of the land that allows even B & M, brick and mortar stores, to choose whom they wish to do business with.  Remember the signs we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

So since the buyer can chose whom they wish to buy from, but prefer to do that automatically, that could be a service with a fee.  Since the seller can't choose the way a buyer can, they don't have a fee and they do have the BBL.  Hope that makes sense.

And truthfully, the site is very buyer centric.  To the extent that many sellers have left and continue to leave.  Again, reading the Selling Board will show you just how buyer centric the site is.  A thorough understanding of site policies as pertains to both buyers and sellers is helpful.  

Please post your info that shows that buyers are not listened to and that they are NOT pro buyer, other than the issue of a seller block, which may not have sufficient support to warrant the expense.  Thank you again!  

Message 136 of 147
latest reply

@nocoolnamejane wrote:
How do you block sellers on Amazon?

Touche!

Message 137 of 147
latest reply

@chmskis wrote:

Or they might reconsider before losing revenue streams. It is easier to keep buyers happy than to replace them.

That may be true but everything has a plus and minus side.  The cost of such an offering may simply not justify implementation.  

And ebay is showing steady growth, so that offsets the need to replace.

Message 138 of 147
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Since you are so determined, I am sure you will make the effort required to get your concern heard.

Please post back with your successful update.  Let everyone know!

Thank you for posting.

******************************************************************************************

Any updates on your contacting TPTB at Ebay about this?

What did they say?

Thank you!

Message 139 of 147
latest reply

@chmskis wrote:

wrote:

You could also buy some Ebay stock, since you are adamant about contacting them and getting a response.  Then you can contact them through Investor Relations.  

I'm sure you can take this to the next level. 

ha ha ha

T'his has been suggested on the Boards for years as a viable way to be able to communicate concerns.  

Message 140 of 147
latest reply

@chmskis wrote:
@coolections

"I suppose you have a valid point when it comes to searches and lack of sales."

What the sellers do not seem to realize is that buyers are LEAVING eBay. THAT is the reason behind the lack of searches and sales!   SOME Buyers want more/easier control over their searches and how to avoid sellers they do not want to do business with.

Message 141 of 147
latest reply

"Without the BBL, sellers would be forced to sell to those who they don't want to do business with, and that does not conform to the law of the land that allows even B & M, brick and mortar stores, to choose whom they wish to do business with.  Remember the signs we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."
?????

You are kidding, right? Or do you not read the news? Sellers are indeed forced to sell to buyers that they would rather not do business with these days. In fact there have been some that have been successfully sued for refusing.

I and every other single buyer on these boards that requested a block seller option is the example I leave you with. Many are asking-nay clamoring- for just such a thing. If it is already done for sellers to block buyers, the IT department knows how already and it is just not being done on behalf of buyers.

Message 142 of 147
latest reply

@chmskis wrote:

"Without the BBL, sellers would be forced to sell to those who they don't want to do business with, and that does not conform to the law of the land that allows even B & M, brick and mortar stores, to choose whom they wish to do business with.  Remember the signs we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."
?????

You are kidding, right? Or do you not read the news? Sellers are indeed forced to sell to buyers that they would rather not do business with these days. In fact there have been some that have been successfully sued for refusing.

I and every other single buyer on these boards that requested a block seller option is the example I leave you with. Many are asking-nay clamoring- for just such a thing. If it is already done for sellers to block buyers, the IT department knows how already and it is just not being done on behalf of buyers.

Not sure what you are questioning there.  Those signs are not unheard of.

Sorry, not kidding.  That is precisely WHY sellers NEED the BBL, and thank you for proving my point.  I am well aware that sellers are ALREADY forced to sell to those they don't want to do business with, so that is WHY they REALLY need the BBL.  They need SOME protection and choice.  Why should a buyer be able to choose who to buy from, but the seller have no such choice.

Please post the info regarding those ebay sellers who were sued successfully, as an extensive internet search brought up nothing that confirms this.  What I did find, however, was ebay sellers suing buyers.  Perhaps that is what you have seen.

With all due respect, I never said the IT department does NOT know how to implement it.  My statement concerned the expense of implementing such a feature, how it would affect the overall site functionality, and whether the number of buyers who want this would justify that expense.  

I agree with you that SOME buyers want a Blocked Seller list, but I  leave you with the fact that SOME/many buyers don't feel the need for a Blocked Seller List,  but of course you are entitled to your opinion, and can choose where and how you wish to buy.  I'm a buyer who doesn't feel the need of a BSL.

We can agree to disagree.  

Message 143 of 147
latest reply

The need a buyer might feel for a blocked seller list might hinge upon several factors:

!. Vetting the listing before buying.

2.  Vetting the seller and reading the feedback comments that the seller has received before purchasing.

3.  Buying from sellers with many negatives and neutrals.

4. Buying internationally in possibly problematic areas.

5. Relying on the MBG as justification when one can lose that protection for opening too many cases.

6. The number of bad experiences the buyer may have had.

Just some thoughts.  

Wishing happy buying experiences to all.

Message 144 of 147
latest reply

Re: Can we block sellers?
in reply to 03-18-2018 05:04:29 PM
thatsallfolks

“I do confess though to still not understanding eBay's reasoning in not wishing to allow people to be able to block sellers - if I'm wasting my time having to constantly look at listing by people I don't want to do business with that lowers the odds of my buying something and earning money for eBay.”

From an IT perspective, applying a blocked seller list while doing a search adds a significant load to the system.

Message 145 of 147
latest reply

Best you can do is if you go into the advanced search feature you'll see an option to search for a particular seller - it also allows you to exclude a particular seller - max of ten.

So just make a Word or notepad document on your computer with your list of bad sellers and then add their names every time you do a search.

If you save the search it will also filter those sellers out of the emails you get from ebay.

Message 146 of 147
latest reply

With all due respect, this has been already discussed extensively earlier in this thread.  

Message 147 of 147
latest reply