cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does cancellation before order is confirmed require seller consent?

I realized I ordered wrong size.   Cancelled within 60 seconds.    Am told seller needs to confirm.  4 minutes later I get order confirmation email.   

How can cancelling an order before it is even confirmed possibly require seller consent?

The issue isn't the consent, as I believe they have to, but why was the order even processed in this case?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Why does cancellation before order is confirmed require seller consent?

I don't remember it ever working any differently..............   as in buyer can cancel

Right or wrong eBay apparently has reasons for "request to cancel"  vs. "cancel".

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

"Right or wrong eBay apparently has reasons for "request to cancel" vs. "cancel"."

Just as they have "reasons" for their horribly poor offshore support 🙂

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

"spoil".    wow you're really drunk the eBay cool-aid

I recall distinctly when I stopped selling here ..... It was actually a buying issue.  I got a refund and it got lost in eBay's system.  Hour on phone,  "yes, we see the refund but it failed to process in our backend.  You need to talk to X to fix it".   More  being bounced around on phone until I was disconnected.    Called back.  Zero record of call.  "please explain all over again"

Wrote to eBay via USPS mail.  Totally ignored.

Ended up being forced to file a VISA chargeback.

Amazon also "spoils" their customers by providing a mechanism to directly contact their US based customer relations team (not standard support).  They actually listen to customers.  They've actually called me after I emailed to discuss a problem.

I'll take being "spoiled" thanks 🙂

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

I enjoy being spoiled by Amazon for most of my purchases as well

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

@sapphire_studio wrote:

I enjoy being spoiled by Amazon for most of my purchases as well

Trust me, problems with third-party sellers on Amazon make eBay look like a walk in the park. And since eBay is all third-party sellers, that's the only apples-to-apples comparison you can make.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

I've had plenty of issues with third party sellers on Amazon.  Only one required Amazon step in. They did and it was resolved in my favor.      That said, there are very few individual/sole-proprietor third party sellers on Amazon.

Anyways, tangent.     

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Funny, last time I had an item from an Amazon seller not arrive, Amazon told me I'd have to work it out with the seller and washed their hands of it. Never got the item, never got a refund, didn't even have a forum to complain to.

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

On any occasion that I make a mistake with a purchase, I accept responsibility for it and wear it.

Problem solved. 

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

"On any occasion that I make a mistake with a purchase, I accept responsibility for it and wear it."

I was thinking up until now that this thread has been unusually free of the typical "eBay community" pointless judgement responses.   Bravo for correcting this!

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@tonyjones 

The "problems" you claim are a result of YOUR misunderstanding of ebay, not the seller and not any of the posters who have tried to help you understand. 

When you win (auction) item, do a BIN or make an accepted offer, as soon as the auction ends, you hit the BIN or the seller accepts your offer, the sale is complete.

There's no "pending" of the sale! Even whether you've paid or not, the sale is still complete. 

You don't seem to be understanding that concept. 

And this is not "typical community" as you describe. It's merely correcting your misunderstanding of how ebay works. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

Customer Service told you the seller have to accept cancellation? 

Got that in writing?

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta

Sorry but there is a pending state.   Go place an order.  Then immediately look at your "purchase history".  Do it!

And I am understanding the concept.       One is free to opine on a part of eBay that doesn't seem well implemented.     You may of course disagree.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@tonyjones wrote:

@albertabrightalberta

Sorry but there is a pending state.   Go place an order.  Then immediately look at your "purchase history".  Do it!

And I am understanding the concept.       One is free to opine on a part of eBay that doesn't seem well implemented.     You may of course disagree.

The pending state refers to the payment process. 

Regardless of whether a payment has been initiated or finalised, a contract to buy the item is in place the second a buyer clicks on BIN or wins an auction. 

There is no “pending state” for a contract or commitment to buy. 

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

@earthdreamer

I understand.  I understood a day ago.

My point was that until the payment is processed, the seller isn't even notified of the sale.   
The system doesn't HAVE to work this way.    eBay has chosen to make it work this way.

It's OK to raise issues about how eBay works here, no?    

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

@tonyjones wrote:

@earthdreamer

I understand.  I understood a day ago.

My point was that until the payment is processed, the seller isn't even notified of the sale.   
The system doesn't HAVE to work this way.    eBay has chosen to make it work this way.

It's OK to raise issues about how eBay works here, no?    

That is absolutely incorrect.  Sellers are notified of the sale as soon as the buyer hits the Buy It Now button (and therefore agrees to follow through with the purchase).  The item is then flowed into the seller's "sold" items, whereby taking it off active listings.  
A totally seperate notification is received by the seller once payment is made.  Which could be within seconds, or could be days, depending on if the seller requires immediate payment.  

Message 30 of 31
latest reply