cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does cancellation before order is confirmed require seller consent?

I realized I ordered wrong size.   Cancelled within 60 seconds.    Am told seller needs to confirm.  4 minutes later I get order confirmation email.   

How can cancelling an order before it is even confirmed possibly require seller consent?

The issue isn't the consent, as I believe they have to, but why was the order even processed in this case?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Why does cancellation before order is confirmed require seller consent?

No they don't have to cancel your order. It's wise of them to so they don't have to go through a complicated return, but they don't have to.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

How can cancelling an order before it is even confirmed possibly require seller consent?

@tonyjones 

Actually, your payment confirmed the order. I think in this case, it'd be wise for the seller to cancel. Fingers crossed...

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

The cancellation was before the payment was even confirmed!!!

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

And according to eBay cust svc they have to accept cancellation else I can open an dispute.

All this over an order that was cancelled 60 seconds after placement.   Before eBay had processed and confirmed the payment.

What an absurd policy.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

That's just simply a lag. As soon as you hit "buy" you signed a contract and your purchase is confirmed. Don't worry I'm sure he will grant your cancellation. 

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

No it's not a lag.  if you view the order status it shows as pending.  until the payment is processed.  which is when the confirmation email is sent.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

@tonyjones wrote:

And according to eBay cust svc they have to accept cancellation else I can open an dispute.

All this over an order that was cancelled 60 seconds after placement.   Before eBay had processed and confirmed the payment.

What an absurd policy.

Incorrect information once again given by off-shore CS.

Not accepting a cancel "request" is not grounds for any dispute, and there in no eBay policy stating such.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

buyselljack2016  eBay cust svc is useless.   sure.

fact remains, order was cancelled while it was still in state of PENDING (as viewed in puchase history).

pending state is while payment is being authorized.

once it's authorized state changes and you get the confirmation email

clearly a seller isn't even informed of the order until the state is confirmed so requiring seller consent while it's in this state is idiotic.

obviously this "pure ebay" but it's still idiotic.

recently I purchased an item from Amazon 3rd party seller.   realized after much longer (20 mins) I'd ordered wrong item.  cancellation was immediate without need to ask for sellers consent.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

The order.............  by eBay policy.....  was not cancelled. A "Request to cancel" was made.

The moment that you purchase the sellers listing ends (if a single item listing)

Most every place that I can think of gives you a "cancellation of payment" window. eBay does not.

Hopefully your seller will get the notification (may not be at the computer all the time) and cancel per your request. 

For the record. If a buyer requests to cancel I do that quickly. It is the second thing that I do. The 1st thing is to add the ID to my list of friends. I'm a one man show. I see everything that goes on. Some places are automated, and a "request to cancel" may not be seen before the item is processed for shipping.

As for that "dispute", perhaps what the CSR meant to say, and would have if actually following the "scripted responses" would be to tell you that if the seller does not cancel, once you get the item you can request to return as "ordered by mistake" at which point, if the seller does not accept returns, they can decline. If the seller accepts returns to return would be accpeted.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@buyselljack2016    you seem to not understand my point.     I'm not asking for an explanation of eBay policy.

It is a fact that there is a distinct PENDING status.   You can see your order in this state if you view "pending orders" before the order is confirmed.      There is no sound reason why you should not be able to cancel an order in this PENDING state without requiring seller consent.  I UNDERSTAND this is how it works but it's not a sound policy.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

One should be free to criticize eBay policies.    Responses of "eBay policy states" are missing the point.

Now if only eBay actually read these messages.

I believe it worked differently before eBay switched to Adyen (managed payments) and there was a window where you could cancel but possibly I'm misremembering.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

'view "pending orders"' 

I meant

'view "purchase history"

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

"Pending" is for the PAYMENT ONLY as you've been told, once you agree to purchase, even if you DON'T FOLLOW THROUGH WITH PAYING you are STILL legally obligated to 'purchase/pay'. 

Just like on an auction, if you win, you are obligated to pay and if you don't, you get a 'ding' for not doing so. Do that a 2x in a 12 month period and most sellers have a 'block' set so you cannot purchase at all.

So again, once you click 'Buy It Now' or Win an auction- you can ONLY REQUEST a cancellation at which time the seller is NOT obligated to do. 

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

You're remembering wrong it's never been like that on ebay. Amazon does spoil some people but most websites once you hit "buy" that shipment is going to come to you.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply