cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do Seller's withholding feedback?

Why is it that I see so many sellers don't leave feedbacks? When I buy and make payment quickly, I expect a prompt positive feedback on money recieved.

Why are sellers allowed to withhold feedback and wait for a positive or negative feedback before they can post their feedback?

When I sell items I give a quick feedpack on prompt payment, then ship out items.

Message 1 of 119
latest reply
118 REPLIES 118

Re: Why do Seller's withholding feedback?

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@mob-rules wrote:

@itbeatsthemall wrote:
there's so much more to being a good buyer than how fast you paid. I don't leave feedback until I know the item is received and the buyer is happy with the item, the transaction as a whole, and with me.

Precisely how do you find all of that out?  For a big seller (powerseller) there is no way they will ever have enough time to find that out for each buyer.

@mob-rules wrote:

@itbeatsthemall wrote:
there's so much more to being a good buyer than how fast you paid. I don't leave feedback until I know the item is received and the buyer is happy with the item, the transaction as a whole, and with me.

Precisely how do you find all of that out?  For a big seller (powerseller) there is no way they will ever have enough time to find that out for each buyer.

They know by checking their feedback number and then seeing who the new feedback is from, just like any other seller would do.  It takes all of two seconds.

Or they can set it up to automatically post upon receiving the buyer's feedback.  This takes even less time as it is done automatically.

So we are back to this nonsense that the seller waits on the buyer for their feedback from what I am understanding you to say BECAUSE there is no way to know the buyer is happy with the item, the transaction on the whole or with the seller without asking them or waiting for your feedback as a seller.

Message 91 of 119
latest reply

@scuy wrote:

Why is it that I see so many sellers don't leave feedbacks? When I buy and make payment quickly, I expect a prompt positive feedback on money recieved.

Why are sellers allowed to withhold feedback and wait for a positive or negative feedback before they can post their feedback?

When I sell items I give a quick feedpack on prompt payment, then ship out items.

Good for you.  But since feedback is voluntary, there is no right or wrong way to leave it.  Some sellers don't leave it at all, some wait til the buyer leaves it.

Personal choice.  

Message 92 of 119
latest reply

@mob-rules wrote:

@mob-rules wrote:

@itbeatsthemall wrote:

@mob-rules wrote:

@itbeatsthemall wrote:

They know by checking their feedback number and then seeing who the new feedback is from, just like any other seller would do.  It takes all of two seconds.

Or they can set it up to automatically post upon receiving the buyer's feedback.  This takes even less time as it is done automatically.

So we are back to this nonsense that the seller waits on the buyer for their feedback from what I am understanding you to say BECAUSE there is no way to know the buyer is happy with the item, the transaction on the whole or with the seller without asking them or waiting for your feedback as a seller.

Sorry you think it is nonsense.  Many agree with this, and that is their right, just as it is your right to not leave it if you don't get it.  But there are many buyers who don't take this stance, they post if they are happy when they get their widget, and they are not upset that they didn't get immediate feedback.  

Message 93 of 119
latest reply

@jrinam wrote:

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

@jrinam wrote:

This is assuming that the sellers' description is fraudulent/incorrect.  What if the sellers' listing is not incorrect, but a buyer lies and says it is in order to get a refund?  What if a buyer has unreasonable expectations of quality for the amount of money they spent?  Just because a buyer returns something for a refund or complains about a product, does not always mean they have a legitimate reason to complain.

normally, i would agree!  my comment was about mob rules transaction where his 'brand new' item arrived damaged. the pics showed multiple issues and seller wanted him to simply bend parts back in to shape.  assuming his postings are accurate, it us a good example of when one party should give + and the other gives -    in another scenerio, it could be the opposite but buyers cant get neg, just no fb.

There definitely are some terrible sellers that deserve to get negatives, but I don't agree with the part about them being obligated to leave a positive feedback for the buyer.  The ability for malicious sellers to leave retalitory negatives was removed, that should be good enough, but some folks (not you in particular) want to take it a step further and require sellers to leave mandatory positive feedback.

Message 94 of 119
latest reply

@mob-rules wrote:

@itbeatsthemall wrote:

And I do believe this is where the feeling of entitlement to positive feedback upon payment began....with large sellers that don't have time to deal with customers on a person to person basis.  If I was selling thousands of items a day, I too would have my account set up to automatically leave positive feedback, because it would take too much time to do it on an individual basis.  Not every person that sells on ebay is in that predicament though, so some actually use the feedback feature for what it was intended to be....actual feedback (when it's possible to leave an honest feedback at least).

Message 95 of 119
latest reply

@mob-rules wrote:

@mob-rules wrote:

@itbeatsthemall wrote:

@mob-rules wrote:

@itbeatsthemall wrote:

Sorry you think it is nonsense.  Many agree with this, and that is their right, just as it is your right to not leave it if you don't get it.  But there are many buyers who don't take this stance, they post if they are happy when they get their widget, and they are not upset that they didn't get immediate feedback.  

Yes, since many buyers will leave positive feedback even when the seller has not left feedback, many sellers think it is good for their business to require all of their good customers to be happy with the item and to leave positive feedback if the buyer wants to receive feedback. 

Perhaps those sellers have not been reading what buyers say on the discussion boards. 

It seems obvious to me that buyers who are offended or dissatisfied with something are the most likely to leave bad feedback and low DSR's.  And, some of those good customers who are offended will buy from some other seller the next time they want to buy something. 

It would be helpful to all sellers if everyone used feedback for buyers the same way.  Buyers like to buy at a place which seems to be organized and not in a state of confusion and disarray.

Message 96 of 119
latest reply

Why does anyone withhold feedback?

Why, because it is valuable, and shiny...my precious, my precious...

Message 97 of 119
latest reply

@phanoto wrote:

@mob-rules wrote:

@mob-rules wrote:

@itbeatsthemall wrote:

@mob-rules wrote:

@itbeatsthemall wrote:

Yes, since many buyers will leave positive feedback even when the seller has not left feedback, many sellers think it is good for their business to require all of their good customers to be happy with the item and to leave positive feedback if the buyer wants to receive feedback. 

Perhaps those sellers have not been reading what buyers say on the discussion boards. 

It seems obvious to me that buyers who are offended or dissatisfied with something are the most likely to leave bad feedback and low DSR's.  And, some of those good customers who are offended will buy from some other seller the next time they want to buy something. 

It would be helpful to all sellers if everyone used feedback for buyers the same way.  Buyers like to buy at a place which seems to be organized and not in a state of confusion and disarray.

Perhaps those sellers are well aware of what has been said on the discussion boards, but they chose to post it according to their preferences, as is their right.  That does not mean they are confused or a party to disarray, nor that they are creating confusion and disarray.  Remember it is voluntary.

While a buyer MAY leave bad feedback because they didn't get their feedback immediately, it does not automatically mean that they will.  I'm sure there are buyers who are reasonable and understand that feedback is voluntary.  

Message 98 of 119
latest reply

The feedback system is entirely voluntary. Buyer's can only get positive feedback.   Feedback is intended to rate the transaction in it's entirety.  Therefore, technically it does not end until the item is delivered.  I'm not sure what point feedback has  simply because a buyer paid?  Paying is an expectation in any transaction.  It seems to me that the time to rate the transaction is after a successful delivery and assurance that the buyer is happy.  Feedback would be more meaningful at that time for both parties.

Message 99 of 119
latest reply

Well said.  BRAVO!

Old school ebay here, from the days when feedback for a buyer was feedback.

Somehow I wonder at times, when a seller leaves immediate feedback, just how responsive they will be to any issues that might occur when the item arrives, as it feels like I have received a pat on my head and been sent on my way, or given the "bum's rush" out the door as they are done with me.

But I respect other's right to post or not post as they see fit.

Message 100 of 119
latest reply

The seller can leave feedback at anytime they wish during the process.  It's a personal choice.  There are a lot of buyers who never leave feedback either as they are only interested in buying something they want or need.  Buyers only leave feedback after they receive their merchandise to rate the transaction so it doesn't seem unreasonable if a seller waits to leave feedback after the buyer does if they choose as well.  Since sellers can only leave positive feedback I think they can opt out altogether if the buyer is difficult.  I can't imagine stating how great my buyer is just because they paid me if  a week or two down the road they make my selling experience with them a nightmare.   I know sellers can always respond to an unhappy buyers comments.  I do more buying than selling and I don't mind sellers waiting for my feedback before they leave theirs.  I also don't mind if my buyers don't leave any feedback because I just want to sell and make my buyers happy.   But I've been here since 2000 so it's not as important anymore. 

Message 101 of 119
latest reply

Many sellers automate their feedback comments too.  Some deliver it as soon as the buyer pays and others do it after the buyer leaves feedback.  I imagine they could set their preferences for it to be provided with delivery.  I'm not that sophisticated so I do it manually.    Previously I could leave feedback for all my buyers at once with randomly chosen comments or my own.   I quit doing that because I didn't really like the canned responses as some of them just didn't fit. 

I can see  in my selling manager how many buyers paid without leaving feedback so if I wanted I could send notices.  I  also get automated messages from sellers after delivery about contacting them for any problems and a request for feedback.  I know some of them are automated because I have already left them feedback.

Message 102 of 119
latest reply

Because you pay for the item but they don't know if you are going to be a difficult customer or a fraud buyer. Some buyers will try to say they never got the item or they say item wasn;t as described, they sometimes buy the item they already have just to replace it and then they ship back the broken item they had. Sometimes they only ship back the empty package but had a label on it they printed saying the weight of the item that was supposed to be in it. Look up ebay scams and you will hear about buyer scams. 

Message 103 of 119
latest reply

Had an incident last month.  Sold a little Hardees/Carl's Jr. Sonic the Hedgehog hackey sack over on my main micro payments account.  Buyer was upset that I shipped it in a box instead of a padded envelope, because he thought the 6x4x4 eBay box was overkill and was mistakenly positive a padded envelope would have been cheaper, despite the package weight for the box being 3 ounces.

I explained every which way I could that the shipping would have been the same, and a padded envelope for this item would have had the risk of being torn open if it got caught in the sorting equipment at any USPS sort facility.  He still insisted that he was going to weigh it himself and if I overcharged him, he would be "reporting" me.

Well, a couple weeks later, he finally posts positive feedback for me, and since that indicated the transaction was over, I did the same for him, and then I blocked him on all accounts, because he came across as one that would just be too difficult a problem child, ready to fly off the handle over the tiniest perception of an issue.

So yep.  Feedback rates the entire transaction, and feedback from the seller to the buyer is the indicator that the transaction is over and all is well.  Had he pressed the issue, then my feedback would have been a lie, and I like my feedback I post to be truthful.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 104 of 119
latest reply

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Exactly This!

I normally leave feedback while processing the order, but one of the first things I do in the flow is pop open a tab with the buyer's feedback profile and take a quick look while waiting for other tabs to load.

If it shows many "less than spiffys" left for sellers or red flag type comments (refunds, "made it right", "not what I thought it was", etc), or there was a buyer note that raises hairs on back of neck, or anything else "off" or potentially problematic(reshipper, competitor, ...), I may hold off on leaving feedback until the dust settles.

I just don't want to leave glowing "such a good buyer" feedback, and later be in the middle of a dispute or spat with a buyer that turned out to not be "such a good buyer".

In a very few cases, I've never left feedback, but most of the time, if I waited, do leave it shortly after delivery.

No problems to date with my system - have never received a "you didn't leave me feedback first" feedback or gotten a message whining about missing feedback.

Keeping fingers, legs, arms, toes, eyes, and danglybits all crossed 🙂
Message 105 of 119
latest reply