cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISHONEST BIDDERS AND SELLERS THAT ALLOW DISHONEST BIDDERS

I'm not accusing anyone of anything however, because of the ongoing rise of dishonest bidders with  no purchase history, multiple bid retractions and bidding history's where 100% of there bids are with one sellers items, I have decided I will not bid against those with records of questionable bidding activities. Nothing personal just business.  

Sean Ropp 
U.S.M.C 
Retired

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

You do understand you just posted your full name openly on a public member-to-member discussion board, don't you?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

It sounds to me if the buyer has 100% of their purchases with one seller, a lot of purchases and a lot of retractions that would be a dishonest seller not buyer. They're shilling.

I don't know why you're pointing the finger at buyers here.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

For someone not accusing anyone of anything, your post appears to be very accusatory.  While I admit that multiple bid retractions is a sign of questionable bidding activity, I suggest that that much of the blame for this rests with eBay for permitting it.  In my opinion as a licensed auctioneer, bid retractions should not be permitted at all.

It is probably well known that I have a policy of blocking anyone with more than 1 bid retraction on their record.  Frankly, that one is merely giving the bidder that forgets where to put the decimal point the benefit of the doubt.  But I don't suffer careless people well so one is all they get.

By the way, 100% bids with the same seller means little since it only reflects the bidding of the last 30 days.  If a biider has only placed one bid in the last month, they would have 100% of their bids on that seller's auction.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I know of several buyers that buy from one seller only and are completely honest.
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@ropp_us

I don't buy much on ebay so many times all my bids are with one seller. On the other hand, I have no retractions in the 18 years I've been on ebay under my regular ID. And, once, I had no feedback, just as many do now.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

" I have decided I will not bid against those with records of questionable bidding activities."

I don't nibble bid "against" ANY other bidders.

I place ONE bid for the maximum I am prepared two seconds from the end of an auction & let the cards fall where they may.

I too abhor shills & serial retractors.

Good to know though that eBay is "ramping up action" to deal with this issue...Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@*help_no_brakes* wrote:

" I have decided I will not bid against those with records of questionable bidding activities."

I don't nibble bid "against" ANY other bidders.

I place ONE bid for the maximum I am prepared two seconds from the end of an auction & let the cards fall where they may.

I too abhor shills & serial retractors.

Good to know though that eBay is "ramping up action" to deal with this issue...Smiley Frustrated

LOL.....how does it go...like when hell freezes  over will E-bay do something about REAL SHILLING and serial retactorsSmiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@ropp_us,

"because of the ongoing rise of dishonest bidders with  no purchase history, multiple bid retractions and bidding history's where 100% of there bids are with one sellers items, I have decided I will not bid against those with records of questionable bidding activities."

There are a lot of new members who do just what you describe. They do not win auctions at first because they are always bidding reactively or they bid against another member's Automatic bid until they uncover it, and if it is more than they are willing to pay they cancel, so no purchase history.

It is not unusual for them to latch on to one seller and try and win their auctions either.  That is why you have been given the advice to bid once for the most you are willing to pay and bid late.  That way you can avoid a shill or nibbler running up the price.

I didn't know Marines knew how to write?

Thanks for your service &

Anchors Away

Former GM2

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I'd rather have a retraction or even a swift cancellation than have to pursue a bidder who doesn't want to pay.

Most people are honest.

But new members often mistake bidding or even agreeing to buy, with Watching or even a Shopping Cart.

The fault is with a poorly designed interface.

It's not only eBay-- I have the same problem with a surprise crate company that continually confuses me into ordering duplicate and triplicate crates. (I'm a little dim, apparently.)

Sellers have an easy way to correct the problem.

Using Fixed Price/ Immediate Payment Required means that your item is not sold until somebody pays for it, no matter how many newbies press'Buy' without also clicking 'Pay'.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

My personal belief when it happens on something I’m bidding on is that it’s actually the seller using another account to both drive up bids & see where the bottom line really is in case they want to end the auction cuz they’re not getting enough. Usually if I see someone bidding against me with 0 or very low feedback # I believe it’s the seller using a separate account solely for the purpose of driving up the price & I just stop bidding once they’ve surpassed me. I won’t okay those games. Horrible that this is allowed.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I"m just curious-who do you think would 'allow' a dishonest bidder?   And why?

I"m here to make money.  I'd love to say I"m here to enrich the lives of others, but that's just not true.

And I follow the expected protocol.   I file unpaid items and block non-paying bidders. 

Now, have you set up to block anyone with two or more unpaid items, no PayPal account......

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

My personal belief when it happens on something I’m bidding on is that it’s actually the seller using another account to both drive up bids & see where the bottom line really is in case they want to end the auction cuz they’re not getting enough. Usually if I see someone bidding against me with 0 or very low feedback # I believe it’s the seller using a separate account solely for the purpose of driving up the price & I just stop bidding once they’ve surpassed me. I won’t okay those games. Horrible that this is allowed.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Repeating yourself doesn't make your statement more valid
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

wrote:

I'm not accusing anyone,  however, because of the ongoing rise of dishonest bidders.

I believe that is an oxymoron statement. I agree though that if it seems questionable don't bid.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply