cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do Seller's withholding feedback?

Why is it that I see so many sellers don't leave feedbacks? When I buy and make payment quickly, I expect a prompt positive feedback on money recieved.

Why are sellers allowed to withhold feedback and wait for a positive or negative feedback before they can post their feedback?

When I sell items I give a quick feedpack on prompt payment, then ship out items.

Message 1 of 119
latest reply
118 REPLIES 118

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

@phanoto wrote:

I don't understand why some sellers think a buyer does not deserve feedback unless the buyer leaves positive feedback.  Those sellers need to learn that leaving feedback is VOLUNTARY, and a buyer is not required to leave feedback.

Part of the buyers' obligation, in my opinion, is to confirm receipt of and satisfaction with the item.  Until that is done, I consider the buyer to have displayed poor communication which would not be worthy of any positive feedback.

@phanoto wrote:

There is no way for a buyer to know that a seller does not need to do something else after shipping.   The seller might have sent the wrong item, or the item might not be as the seller described it.   The buyer might need to leave neutral or negative feedback to warn other buyers.

Therefore, buyers should wait until they are sure the seller does not need to do anything else before the buyer leaves feedback. 

There is no way for a seller to know if a shipping company is going to delay, damage, or lose a package and how a buyer might react in such a situation.  There is also no way for a seller to know if a buyer is going to file a fraudulant claim against them and send them back a "rock".  There are many negative experiences that a seller can encounter after a buyer has paid, just as there are many negative experiences that a buyer can have after a seller has shipped.  That's why I find it best to wait until the transaction is as complete as possible (as in the buyer has expessed satisfaction with the item) before leaving my feedback for any transaction.

@phanoto wrote:

Yes, if all sellers knew as you do that feedback for buyers is worthless as feedback, the sellers would not hesitate to give a feedback to every customer as soon as possible.   Sellers want to please their good customers.

If it's worthless, then why do you want it and why should sellers even be concerned about it.

I realize that many buyers expect feedback upon payment, but those buyers should also realize that many sellers do not give feedback until they have received it.  If a buyer and seller have opposing opinions on the matter, they should both be willing to accept the fact that neither of them is going to leave the other any feedback and just move on.

"Part of the buyers' obligation, in my opinion, is to confirm receipt of and satisfaction with the item.  Until that is done, I consider the buyer to have displayed poor communication which would not be worthy of any positive feedback."

That would be a good statement to write on a note to the buyer and send the note with the item.   That way, the buyer would not be expecting feedback if he/she has not confirmed receipt of and satisfaction with the item. 

"If it's worthless, then why do you want it and why should sellers even be concerned about it."

I want it because feedback statements complimenting me as a seller helps cause  more  people  to buy from me.  Feedback for buyers is worthless as FEEDBACK.  It is not worthless for it's other purposes. 

Message 106 of 119
latest reply

wrote:

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

@phanoto wrote:

I don't understand why some sellers think a buyer does not deserve feedback unless the buyer leaves positive feedback.  Those sellers need to learn that leaving feedback is VOLUNTARY, and a buyer is not required to leave feedback.

Part of the buyers' obligation, in my opinion, is to confirm receipt of and satisfaction with the item.  Until that is done, I consider the buyer to have displayed poor communication which would not be worthy of any positive feedback.

@phanoto wrote:

There is no way for a buyer to know that a seller does not need to do something else after shipping.   The seller might have sent the wrong item, or the item might not be as the seller described it.   The buyer might need to leave neutral or negative feedback to warn other buyers.

Therefore, buyers should wait until they are sure the seller does not need to do anything else before the buyer leaves feedback. 

There is no way for a seller to know if a shipping company is going to delay, damage, or lose a package and how a buyer might react in such a situation.  There is also no way for a seller to know if a buyer is going to file a fraudulant claim against them and send them back a "rock".  There are many negative experiences that a seller can encounter after a buyer has paid, just as there are many negative experiences that a buyer can have after a seller has shipped.  That's why I find it best to wait until the transaction is as complete as possible (as in the buyer has expessed satisfaction with the item) before leaving my feedback for any transaction.

@phanoto wrote:

Yes, if all sellers knew as you do that feedback for buyers is worthless as feedback, the sellers would not hesitate to give a feedback to every customer as soon as possible.   Sellers want to please their good customers.

If it's worthless, then why do you want it and why should sellers even be concerned about it.

I realize that many buyers expect feedback upon payment, but those buyers should also realize that many sellers do not give feedback until they have received it.  If a buyer and seller have opposing opinions on the matter, they should both be willing to accept the fact that neither of them is going to leave the other any feedback and just move on.

"Part of the buyers' obligation, in my opinion, is to confirm receipt of and satisfaction with the item.  Until that is done, I consider the buyer to have displayed poor communication which would not be worthy of any positive feedback."

It

That would be a good statement to write on a note to the buyer and send the note with the item.   That way, the buyer would not be expecting feedback if he/she has not confirmed receipt of and satisfaction with the item. 

With all due respect, seriously, it's really not a good idea to send a buyer a statement that says you consider them to have displayed poor communication which would not be worthy of positive feedback!

"If it's worthless, then why do you want it and why should sellers even be concerned about it."

I want it because feedback statements complimenting me as a seller helps cause  more  people  to buy from me.  Feedback for buyers is worthless as FEEDBACK.  It is not worthless for it's other purposes. 

Message 107 of 119
latest reply

wrote:

Because you pay for the item but they don't know if you are going to be a difficult customer or a fraud buyer. Some buyers will try to say they never got the item or they say item wasn;t as described, they sometimes buy the item they already have just to replace it and then they ship back the broken item they had. Sometimes they only ship back the empty package but had a label on it they printed saying the weight of the item that was supposed to be in it. Look up ebay scams and you will hear about buyer scams. 

Yes, that is why some sellers don't leave feedback.

If they gave feedback to a buyer who later tries to cheat the seller, that would make it look as if the seller thought the buyer did everything right. 

Since no one looks at a buyer's "feedback received" in most cases except the buyer, we can see why the seller would not want the buyer to think he/she did everything right.

I suppose that any buyer who did not receive feedback would think they had not done something right.  Maybe the seller should tell the good customers that they had not done anything wrong.

Message 108 of 119
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

Because you pay for the item but they don't know if you are going to be a difficult customer or a fraud buyer. Some buyers will try to say they never got the item or they say item wasn;t as described, they sometimes buy the item they already have just to replace it and then they ship back the broken item they had. Sometimes they only ship back the empty package but had a label on it they printed saying the weight of the item that was supposed to be in it. Look up ebay scams and you will hear about buyer scams. 

Yes, that is why some sellers don't leave feedback.

If they gave feedback to a buyer who later tries to cheat the seller, that would make it look as if the seller thought the buyer did everything right. 

Since no one looks at a buyer's "feedback received" in most cases except the buyer, we can see why the seller would not want the buyer to think he/she did everything right.

I suppose that any buyer who did not receive feedback would think they had not done something right.  Maybe the seller should tell the good customers that they had not done anything wrong.

It could be the buyer wouldn't think anything about why they didn't receive feedback; some understand that it is voluntary and don't obsess over it or let it control their lives.  They just want their widget, as described, in a timely fashion.

The seller should just leave it alone, for whatever reason they don't leave feedback.  Why open that can of worms?  It's voluntary, no one HAS to leave it, so why explain it?

Message 109 of 119
latest reply

As both a buyer and a seller, I tend to leave feedback in batches and usually about once a month, although lately I've been doing it more frequently.

With buyers, I tend to wait until at least a week after the buyer has received the item, although since I don't sit and watch this I'm not exact in it. It's just that if I'm leaving feedback for something I've recently sold, I will tend to not leave feedback until my next round of them.

Also, I have unofficial policies that slow payers don't get feedback. I've also had buyers pester me for it, and just out of principle I might not. I don't like those behaviors, so as a seller that's pretty much my only recourse for showing that.

Message 110 of 119
latest reply

wrote:

As both a buyer and a seller, I tend to leave feedback in batches and usually about once a month, although lately I've been doing it more frequently.

With buyers, I tend to wait until at least a week after the buyer has received the item, although since I don't sit and watch this I'm not exact in it. It's just that if I'm leaving feedback for something I've recently sold, I will tend to not leave feedback until my next round of them.

Also, I have unofficial policies that slow payers don't get feedback. I've also had buyers pester me for it, and just out of principle I might not. I don't like those behaviors, so as a seller that's pretty much my only recourse for showing that.

"Also, I have unofficial policies that slow payers don't get feedback."

I also dislike it when a buyer pays too slow. 

Your policy of not leaving feedback for slow payers will let some of those slow payers know that is why they are not getting feedback.   But it will not let some of them know they paid too slow.  Many sellers do not leave feedback, even when the seller is satisfied with everything the buyer did.  So, some of those slow payers may think that a seller who does not leave feedback just did not get around to leaving feedback.

Some of your customers will probably be wondering what they did wrong.  If I had that policy, I would tell every customer what they did that I do not like.   By telling the customers how they need to improve, maybe that would  help the customer to change whatever the customer did wrong.   But, it is against the rules for a seller to tell the customer what the customer did wrong in the feedback  the seller leaves.

Message 111 of 119
latest reply

Many reasons but here are the top ones.

Feedback as a buyer or seller is VOLUNTARY

Feedback for buyers is MEANINGLESS as they can only get positives

The transaction is not over at payment. IMO though I do leave feedback after the buyer does, by rights the sellers transaction isn't really over until the PayPal 180 day window for returns has passed. I do not sweat it if when I buy the seller never leaves feedback.

Message 112 of 119
latest reply

Telling every buyer what they did that you did not like could result in a crop of red doughnuts.   

Message 113 of 119
latest reply

Frankly, the simple fact is that feedback is voluntary.  If the buyer is slow to pay it is up to the seller to leave feedback or not.  Even if I've filed a UID in order to receive payment, I'd leave positive feedback in most cases.  Of course, I'm not usually too quick to expect instant payment either.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 114 of 119
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

"Also, I have unofficial policies that slow payers don't get feedback."

I also dislike it when a buyer pays too slow. 

Your policy of not leaving feedback for slow payers will let some of those slow payers know that is why they are not getting feedback.   But it will not let some of them know they paid too slow.  Many sellers do not leave feedback, even when the seller is satisfied with everything the buyer did.  So, some of those slow payers may think that a seller who does not leave feedback just did not get around to leaving feedback.

Some of your customers will probably be wondering what they did wrong.  If I had that policy, I would tell every customer what they did that I do not like.   By telling the customers how they need to improve, maybe that would  help the customer to change whatever the customer did wrong.   But, it is against the rules for a seller to tell the customer what the customer did wrong in the feedback  the seller leaves.

Ok Phanoto let's go with your idea that buyer feedback means more then a public pat on the back. The reason for seller feedback is to let fellow buyers know what kind of experiance you as a buyer had with a seller. By the same token buyer feedback is to let fellow sellers know what kind of an experiance you as a seller had with a buyer. So you look at 2 example that we had just in the last week. We left Positive feedback early for 2 buyers (new lister who did not know better). Both buyers were such a nightmare that both ended up on our friends list so that we never have to deal with them again. Now sellers looking at their buyer feedback to decide to take an offer now have false information to base their decision on. It is bad enough that sellers can ONLY leave positive feedback but to then to leave a faulty feedback with not way to correct it, nope, not a good idea

Message 115 of 119
latest reply

"We left Positive feedback early for 2 buyers (new lister who did not know better). Both buyers were such a nightmare that both ended up on our friends list so that we never have to deal with them again. Now sellers looking at their buyer feedback to decide to take an offer now have false information to base their decision on."

Yes, sellers will now see one more positive feedback than they would have seen.  Almost everyone says than one more positive feedback for a buyer will not help the buyer and will not cause a seller to think the buyer is a good buyer.  Sellers usually do not read a buyers feedback received.  The only look at the number of feedback.

I want to be sure that I have left feedback for every buyer who tries to cheat me.  The reason is so I can do a "follow-up".  I cannot say anything bad about the buyer, but other sellers will be able to see that something unusual happened. 

Message 116 of 119
latest reply

wrote:

I have a list and I put them in my eBay block list that I go back and check before I click the buy it now button and it works wonderfully well too.

Very thoughtful of you!

Message 117 of 119
latest reply

"Many reasons but here are the top ones.

Feedback for buyers is MEANINGLESS as they can only get positives"

Yes, that is two of the main reasons why sellers always leave feedback. 

I believe the other two main reasons is that it is quicker to leave feedback for every customer than to just pick some customers to leave feedback for them.  The other reason is that sellers can no longer leave negative feedback. 

I guess just about all sellers stopped withholding feedback and started leaving feedback at payment when they could no longer give a negative to a buyer who left negative feedback.

Message 118 of 119
latest reply

wrote:

"Many reasons but here are the top ones.

Feedback for buyers is MEANINGLESS as they can only get positives"

Yes, that is two of the main reasons why sellers always leave feedback. 

I believe the other two main reasons is that it is quicker to leave feedback for every customer than to just pick some customers to leave feedback for them.  The other reason is that sellers can no longer leave negative feedback. 

I guess just about all sellers stopped withholding feedback and started leaving feedback at payment when they could no longer give a negative to a buyer who left negative feedback.

No need to guess.  I buy a lot and most sellers I find wait until the buyer posts feedback.  It is nowhere near just about all sellers stopped withholding feedback and started leaving feedback at payment.

It doesn't bother me.  I bought a widget, not a thank you.  And I know that it is voluntary, although many obsess about it.

Message 119 of 119
latest reply