cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do Seller's withholding feedback?

Why is it that I see so many sellers don't leave feedbacks? When I buy and make payment quickly, I expect a prompt positive feedback on money recieved.

Why are sellers allowed to withhold feedback and wait for a positive or negative feedback before they can post their feedback?

When I sell items I give a quick feedpack on prompt payment, then ship out items.

Message 1 of 119
latest reply
118 REPLIES 118

Re: Why do Seller's withholding feedback?

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

If the seller already left you positive feedback, even though their experience with you may not have turned out to be positive, why would you withhold positive feedback from them just because your experience with them turned out to be not positive, in your opinion.  Using your logic, you should've given them positive feedback immediately upon receiving your (payment) refund.

that is NOT how it should work!  the seller sent out damaged item but sold as new, he deserves a neg. for that! buyer paid and went threw proper channels for a refund so deserves posative feedback!  ONLY reason for seller to give neg (or none) is retaliation. so seller had a problem, HE CREATED IT! buyer is a bad buyer because he complained? kinda makes feedback useless when it is extorted, not earned!

Message 76 of 119
latest reply

@jrinam wrote:

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

If the seller already left you positive feedback, even though their experience with you may not have turned out to be positive, why would you withhold positive feedback from them just because your experience with them turned out to be not positive, in your opinion.  Using your logic, you should've given them positive feedback immediately upon receiving your (payment) refund.

that is NOT how it should work!  the seller sent out damaged item but sold as new, he deserves a neg. for that! buyer paid and went threw proper channels for a refund so deserves posative feedback!  ONLY reason for seller to give neg (or none) is retaliation. so seller had a problem, HE CREATED IT! buyer is a bad buyer because he complained? kinda makes feedback useless when it is extorted, not earned!

This is assuming that the sellers' description is fraudulent/incorrect.  What if the sellers' listing is not incorrect, but a buyer lies and says it is in order to get a refund?  What if a buyer has unreasonable expectations of quality for the amount of money they spent?  Just because a buyer returns something for a refund or complains about a product, does not always mean they have a legitimate reason to complain.

Message 77 of 119
latest reply

I have been on Ebay a long time as well and I am well aware of how sellers can be.  It didn't end when Ebay eliminated the seller's ability to neg.  Some may post retaliatory feedback, a neg, in a positive format that the buyer has to call CS to remove.  Some may send abusive, hostile messages.  It didn't just disappear in 2008.  Ebay is composed of many different individuals selling; not everyone will present themselves professionally or handle communication well, if at all.  Not everyone is a business, anyone can sell to clean out their closets or move unwanted possessions.  I agree it can be very upsetting to an innocent, honest buyer to be treated in such a poor fashion, but that may be the price to get great prices and the widest variety of items anywhere.

Many buyers would start to whine as well if feedback were eliminated; after all, look at how many buyers may be upset because they did not get feedback upon paying.  Some feel it is so important they won't buy in those circumstances, which is what you said as well.

But there are many who don't concern themselves with when they get feedback as a buyer, they just want their widget as described in a timely fashion, and so posting after receiving the item is not a big deal to them.  They realize the seller may post after they do.  

No one needs an "excuse" to  not leave feedback; it is voluntary.  So a seller is not required or forced to post feedback at payment.  

Just curious~~how do you make sure you never purchase from those sellers again?

Your choice, leave it or not, that is their choice as well.

Message 78 of 119
latest reply

I received an eBay message from a buyer early this morning, reaming me out for sending her the wrong thing. One problem: my package hadn’t been delivered yet. She didn’t bother to check who the other package was from, tracking info, etc. She just claimed I’d deliberately deceived her. But I should feel guilty for not giving her “a prompt positive feedback on money received.

Not bleeping likely.

Message 79 of 119
latest reply

@mob-rules wrote:

I have made several statement of facts on this forum and a mod will delete it because with proven fact if it may upset the person or hurt their feelings it is against the eBay policies and to be honest I considered it an attack.

What I am seeing is a lot of one way streets on this forum but lets move on as I have said what my policy is and I wish everyone had that policy so as to force the sellers to do what is right.  may not be mandatory but you can be assured if everyone waited on the sellers to give feedback first the ones who didn't would be shoved out the door.

Force sellers to do what is right?

Message 80 of 119
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

I received an eBay message from a buyer early this morning, reaming me out for sending her the wrong thing. One problem: my package hadn’t been delivered yet. She didn’t bother to check who the other package was from, tracking info, etc. She just claimed I’d deliberately deceived her. But I should feel guilty for not giving her “a prompt positive feedback on money received.

Not bleeping likely.

Absolutely!  Wonder if she will apologize.  Or be embarrassed.  

Message 81 of 119
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

Not bleeping likely.

I would not feel guilty for not leaving feedback for a buyer.  Feedback does not usually help the buyer who receives it.  Therefore, there is nothing to feel guilty about. 

If I was the seller, I would want to be SURE to leave feedback for a  buyer like that before the buyer became dissatisfied.   Since the buyer was dissatisfied with the item, I would not  want to do something else to make the buyer even MORE dissatisfied. 

The more things a buyer is dissatisfied with, the more likely the buyer will leave neutral or negative feedback, and the more likely the buyer will be unfair in handling a "not as described" case.

In this case, the buyer discovered that the seller did nothing wrong.  But, if the  buyer is slightly dissatisfied with an item, I certainly would not want to do something else to cause the buyer to be even more dissatisfied. 

Message 82 of 119
latest reply

“If I was the seller, I would want to be SURE to leave feedback for a buyer like that before the buyer became dissatisfied. Since the buyer was dissatisfied with the item“

ROFLMAO! THE BUYER DIDN’T RECEIVE THE ITEM YET.

Are you a bot?

Message 83 of 119
latest reply

I have a list and I put them in my eBay block list that I go back and check before I click the buy it now button and it works wonderfully well too.

Message 84 of 119
latest reply

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

@jrinam wrote:

This is assuming that the sellers' description is fraudulent/incorrect.  What if the sellers' listing is not incorrect, but a buyer lies and says it is in order to get a refund?  What if a buyer has unreasonable expectations of quality for the amount of money they spent?  Just because a buyer returns something for a refund or complains about a product, does not always mean they have a legitimate reason to complain.

normally, i would agree!  my comment was about mob rules transaction where his 'brand new' item arrived damaged. the pics showed multiple issues and seller wanted him to simply bend parts back in to shape.  assuming his postings are accurate, it us a good example of when one party should give + and the other gives -    in another scenerio, it could be the opposite but buyers cant get neg, just no fb.

Message 85 of 119
latest reply

If you say so.

Message 86 of 119
latest reply

@jrinam wrote:

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

@jrinam wrote:

normally, i would agree!  my comment was about mob rules transaction where his 'brand new' item arrived damaged. the pics showed multiple issues and seller wanted him to simply bend parts back in to shape.  assuming his postings are accurate, it us a good example of when one party should give + and the other gives -    in another scenerio, it could be the opposite but buyers cant get neg, just no fb.

Here, this is the video he sent to me - http://sendvid.com/01plv89d

Message 87 of 119
latest reply

there's so much more to being a good buyer than how fast you paid. I don't leave feedback until I know the item is received and the buyer is happy with the item, the transaction as a whole, and with me.
Message 88 of 119
latest reply

@itbeatsthemall wrote:
there's so much more to being a good buyer than how fast you paid. I don't leave feedback until I know the item is received and the buyer is happy with the item, the transaction as a whole, and with me.

Precisely how do you find all of that out?  For a big seller (powerseller) there is no way they will ever have enough time to find that out for each buyer.

Message 89 of 119
latest reply

@mob-rules wrote:

@itbeatsthemall wrote:

Precisely how do you find all of that out?  For a big seller (powerseller) there is no way they will ever have enough time to find that out for each buyer.

They know by checking their feedback number and then seeing who the new feedback is from, just like any other seller would do.  It takes all of two seconds.

Or they can set it up to automatically post upon receiving the buyer's feedback.  This takes even less time as it is done automatically.

Message 90 of 119
latest reply