cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do about a seller who persists in listing an item that is not correctly described?

I just had unpleasant communications with a seller who ignores my suggestion to revise his listing as the item is not what the listing title indicates. I included attachments of the correct item and he poo-poohed my knowledge and sounded stupid as he doesn't care if the item is returned by buyers who realize that they received the wrong item, although it's always the buyer's responsibility. Because of the seller's obnoxious behavior I tried to report the seller but this is what I get from ebay: 

"File a report

We are not able to process your message now.Please contact eBay Customer Service."

I'm not going to bother but some stupid buyer is going to have to deal with returns, etc., and the seller does not accept returns.

I'm going to divorce myself from this but I am interested in your opinions for reference.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

What would you do about a seller who persists in listing an item that is not correctly described?

@skeletonstore wrote:

Instead I'm going to go list a bag of dirt and mention some famous person once stepped upon it.

I think you are on to something.   I have some dirt that Harry Potter walked on.   Interested?

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

Exact details depend on which browser you are using. There are several ways to do it, but rather than clearing all browser cookies, you should be able to search your cookies and only delete cookies related to eBay -- that way you do not lose all your session information from other sites, which might require you to sign in again.

https://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cookies

Message 32 of 47
latest reply

@katzrul15 

Cute story, only 3 sewing machines??? How bout 5 yeah five .....

Message 33 of 47
latest reply

So you are telling the seller you are a more qualified to write a listing  and the seller is not grateful for your valuable suggestions and advice 

WHY  do you care?

it is the sellers responsibility to list s/he items correctly  and to deal with the consequences when seller makes a mistake.

Maybe the seller does not agree with you

it is usually a bad idea to play at consulting services to someone prior to being asked - even if you are in the right regarding information you are providing to the seller

Message 34 of 47
latest reply

Thanks but I tried Google - My Activity and that worked. I don't mind losing my surfing activity info, I rarely use it. Unfortunately, trying to report anything to ebay ends in more frustration as they show just a few stupid reasons for reporting and there's no one at the other end anyway. I think I've  learned my lesson. There's no one at ebay anyway. I mean responsiblel persons and mods are conditioned to remove replies such as this one. Never **bleep** about ebay, it'll cost you!

Message 35 of 47
latest reply

Sorry, but there's a thin line between carelessness and active bamboozlement. I absolutely want someone to tell me if I have something wrong in a listing and in most of the cases where its a matter of verifiable fact whether or not a listing is right, then who wants a seller that is obviously either mentally defective or, more likely a scammer? I see this occasionally in the art and antiques categories. And lalique stemware and "Picasso" paintings are not something you accidentally 'get wrong.' And if you do, and you DON'T fix it when notified, that's a major red flag. It should be for Ebay as well. 

I don't understand your blasé attitude toward what is almost certainly a scam. 

Message 36 of 47
latest reply

Why? 

I prefer 5 idiots being wrong about their suggestions and get the 1 person who actually KNOWS the item intimately and passes on the knowledge to me. I have offered suggestions to sellers who clearly didn't know what they had and, because I was nice about it, I've only had good responses. 

So, why is it a bad idea to "play at consulting services" if you're addressing verifiable facts (rather than critiquing their grammar or photography skills?)

How can it hurt? I'm being very serious. Maybe you know something I don't. 

Message 37 of 47
latest reply

you feedback is not perfect,you got a thumbs down never again from one of your sellers recently

I will bet they were not thrilled to have you buy the item they sold you.

my friend told me once that I should not be effing with people  on purpose because I am using there ego against them.maybe thats how the seller you messaged felt

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 38 of 47
latest reply

"Why  would it hurt?"

well it is the internet, so  seller does not know if you are one of the "idiots" or someone who knowledgeable and providing  correct information and as I stated previously seller may simply disagree and it is the sellers job to know what they are selling 

Also depending on the suggestion seller might question your motivation if you are suggestion item is worth less then seller thinks whether you are in the end right or not

Ultimately  seller will most of the time not thank you or in fact accept your effort for  questioning their listings

Lets just agree to disagree on this matter

Message 39 of 47
latest reply

I agree with that!

I've had people message me for inane reasons, "it's a FOB not a keychain" type stuff. /eye-roll.

I've messaged a few sellers, very few, giving them info on a designer bag, that would render their item much more valuable and/or desirable. Once it was about a color & year that are highly collectable.. They were appreciative & did change their title & description BUT I was humble & explained it was up to them, I just wanted to pass on the info. 

The above is in VERY rare instances and usually I just keep it moving and don't offer unsolicited advice. If the seller did not change their listing and/or ignored the message, I would NEVER follow up with another message.. Seriously, ignoring the message, not changing the listing, is their answer and their right. Any "problem that arises from an inaccurate description" is THEIR problem to manage not yours/mine. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 40 of 47
latest reply

I'd mind my own business and move on, it's not my job to police others.

Message 41 of 47
latest reply

I agree with you completely

one message may be of assistance if the seller is open to it I am not totally against that at all  (though I rarely am moved to do it myself)l but to send MULIPLE messages is  none of  my business  I think is inappropriate. 

If after the one message seller ignores my message I would not continue to message seller to  if not invited to share my  information as you stated S/HE  PROBLEM not mine

Message 42 of 47
latest reply

If seller wants to ignore you even if your information let  seller be(in your view) stupid  not your problem you can not run s/he's business et let  go

the end

Message 43 of 47
latest reply

Naw, not disagree.  Agree. I see your point, and now I have a fuller explanation, it makes more sense. My guess is that you can tell pretty quickly if someone knows their stuff --  probably tougher figuring out their true motivation. 

But, hey, just want to be on the record as "Open to suggestions, pending my own separate investigation."

Cheers!

Message 44 of 47
latest reply

It's the seller that will have to be refunding when not as described cases are filed.  It's not up to non buyers to police that.

I suppose you could look here for ideas however.   https://www.museumtorture.com/

No just kidding.

Message 45 of 47
latest reply