cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What part about "BRAND NEW" do sellers not seem to understand???

Could the definition be ANY clearer????

"Brand New: An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer’s sealing (if applicable). Item is in original shrink wrap (if applicable). See the seller's listing for full details"

Yet moronic, time wasting, dishonest, stupid, idiot sellers are STILL sending "OPENED" items that are NOT brand new. Do they think we would pay their premium price for a used product? NO!!!!

Stop wasting everyone's time with your dishonest **bleep** already!!!

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: What part about "BRAND NEW" do sellers not seem to understand???

@gkn29 wrote:

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

I don't disagree with you that eBay needs to establish clear and consistent conditions that are based in the real world and apply them across the board--make them available for every single category on the platform.

Impossible. You'll get yahoos listing antiques as new.

Oh yeah!  Love it!  Finding things worth a lot priced as new and in the race for the bottom!  Where?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 46 of 57
latest reply

I think you've misinterpreted what the phrase "if applicable" means in the context of the condition description.

Message 47 of 57
latest reply

Actually, I think many people have used the phrase 'if applicable' as a catch-all, leaving it as the scapegoat.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 48 of 57
latest reply

@duffy4444 wrote:

jonathan...

Thanks for bringing up a very good question with your original post that opened this discussion! We need more of this to open up things on this and other Ebay forums. 

But I realize I've just spent two hours on this issue, and I MUST break away to continue with my master bath tile job before I have a rolling pin hanging over my head.

Cheers, Duffy

Always a pleasure to debate and discuss with you Mr Duffy. But don't let the forums take up more of your time than you have available to dispense! 😛

Message 49 of 57
latest reply

@sawri_2017 wrote:

what part of "if applicable" do you not understand?

Um, in the instance I'm talking about it is absolutely 'applicable'. The item comes 'factory sealed' when it is first produced and I have many, many of these items in my possession. That is the exact reason why this is such a gross negligence and abuse to use this descriptive factor when it is not true.

Thank you for the input but it's probably best not to comment if you don't know what you're talking about.

Message 50 of 57
latest reply

"The issue is when you have decals that have yellowed. Are they untouched? Yes. Did they come that way from the factory? Definitely not."

On older open-box kits I always made sure to mention the visible condition of decals, and even if they looked good, to mention that they might not be usable. Luckily this is one of those categories where buyers know what they are getting into, most buyers will be using aftermarket parts/decals etc. anyway, so never had any issues, thankfully.

Message 51 of 57
latest reply

😂

Message 52 of 57
latest reply

@postingid7659 wrote:

I get new items in to sell all the time that the package is not sealed.  Doesn't mean they're not new.  Might mean the blame and insults are being misplaced though.  

Sometimes it's really hard to know that something is indeed "New" without a sealed package.  So like was said before, it's usually best to err on the side of caution.  Like with tech items, if you've had the sealed package sitting for a couple of years, it's probably best to open it up and see if the item still works right.  Personally I got an item like that - I'm pretty certain it's close to new as you're going to get and I have the box and everything that goes with it.  But I pulled it out to see if it works (and upgraded the ROM on it to the latest, might as well have since I had it up and running).   But to err on the side of caution it is "used" and listed as so on the listing.

Message 53 of 57
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

Seller listed condition as "new" but wrote in the description that the box and the plastic bag that held the puzzle pieces had been opened by her sister, but the puzzle had not actually been assembled. 

A great example where the "new" reporting is bad.  Package was opened.  How do you know that a piece wasn't lost?  I obtained a special jigsaw puzzle once I was going to list on here.  Obviously used, but still gotta find out if it's complete.  So I put it together.  It was all there.  Funny part is that a relative came along and bought it on sight, seeing it solved right there on the table.

"Puzzle piece bag opened by sister, may have lost pieces." is how that I would read that...  For sure.

Message 54 of 57
latest reply

Yet its not? Once its opened its no longer "New". You can twist the word "new" new today? new for you? new in stock? But the item is most definitely not, "New" condition. If anything, thats what, "Like New" is for.

Message 55 of 57
latest reply

The problem is any sale that is not from a factory dealer is a second hand sale. As such, there is often no factory warranty.  Just need to keep that in mind when buying in a venue like this. 

Message 56 of 57
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 57 of 57
latest reply