cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What part about "BRAND NEW" do sellers not seem to understand???

Could the definition be ANY clearer????

"Brand New: An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer’s sealing (if applicable). Item is in original shrink wrap (if applicable). See the seller's listing for full details"

Yet moronic, time wasting, dishonest, stupid, idiot sellers are STILL sending "OPENED" items that are NOT brand new. Do they think we would pay their premium price for a used product? NO!!!!

Stop wasting everyone's time with your dishonest **bleep** already!!!

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Can't fix stupid.

Even harder to fix sleazy.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 2 of 57
latest reply

@gkn29 wrote:

Can't fix stupid.

Even harder to fix sleazy.

It drives me up a wall! And the thing is the picture of said item looked like it WAS factory sealed as it should be, but perhaps a bit hard to tell because of the lighting bouncing off the plastic. I went in good faith on what they said being true and waited weeks for this only to end up thoroughly disgusted and disappointed. UGH.

Message 3 of 57
latest reply

Part of the problem is that in a lot of categories, eBay doesn't have a condition option for things that are new but opened. I will sometimes open new items when, for instance, the box of one of my crane game prize figures shows up from Japan looking dented/mangled to ensure that the figure inside is undamaged. The item is still "new" in all senses of the word-- it's in its original packaging and has never been touched or removed from it, the box has just been opened to check for damage. Since the only two condition options in that category are "New" and "Pre-owned," I list them as new because they ARE new and just include a note that the box has been opened to inspect for damage. IME, buyers appreciate that I've taken the time to check for damage, even if it means opening up the box.

Message 4 of 57
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

Part of the problem is that in a lot of categories, eBay doesn't have a condition option for things that are new but opened. I will sometimes open new items when, for instance, the box of one of my crane game prize figures shows up from Japan looking dented/mangled to ensure that the figure inside is undamaged. The item is still "new" in all senses of the word-- it's in its original packaging and has never been touched or removed from it, the box has just been opened to check for damage. Since the only two condition options in that category are "New" and "Pre-owned," I list them as new because they ARE new and just include a note that the box has been opened to inspect for damage. IME, buyers appreciate that I've taken the time to check for damage, even if it means opening up the box.

The category I'm referring to has "new (other)" which could apply in this case. And if it was listed as such I would not have bought it and moved on.

However the seller should just list it as USED if it's not brand new. SIMPLE.

Far better to understate the quality than overstate, and over price, it...

Message 5 of 57
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

I list them as new because they ARE new and just include a note that the box has been opened to inspect for damage. 

That's "NEW other" in my book

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 6 of 57
latest reply

I get new items in to sell all the time that the package is not sealed.  Doesn't mean they're not new.  Might mean the blame and insults are being misplaced though.  

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

But man; if I sold it as used you wont pay me so much man: so I list dat used as new to get da money see....

If an item is unsealed even to inspect for damage:

the item is then considered New with opened box: not brand new unopened;

Of course that New with opened:

is also used,

to get more out of some user.

Yep buyer beware:

is the motto today....

Message 8 of 57
latest reply

Hi, jonathan,

Yuzuha has a very valid point. If everything was so absolute and there were no minor exceptions or explanations needed to the "New" rule, Ebay would not have given the exception option by saying, "See the seller's listing for full details".

There are many vintage NOS items that need to be opened (unless the box itself is factory-sealed) for inspection to see if there was any damage or perhaps had indeed been "slightly" used. A seller should never unseal anything that is factory-sealed.

Some buyers and many collectors are very concerned about buying such items. I ran into this with the hoard of thousands of Avon NOS collectibles I picked up last year at an estate sale, that go back to the 60s and 70s, that were stored in an Avon Rep's storage unit for decades. They are in no way "used", but may have minor shelf/storage wear on the box that doesn't affect the actual brand-new  item inside. I disclose in my listings that, if possible, the box was opened for inspection and photos, then promptly returned to its box. 

However, in many of the same vintage Avon listings I have, especially collector plates and figurines, I start out the listing with a warning that some other sellers mistakenly list their item as "New", when it had been displayed in their home, dusted off, fingerprints carefully wiped off, and may not even have the original box or internal packaging. Those items are "Used". Period, a real no-brainer. I have received messages and feedback from many of such ardent Avon Collectors that they appreciate my disclosures, and are happy to add it to their genuine NOS collections.

Whenever I can, I use the "New Other" description, if it is given as a condition option when listing. I think Ebay should expand the use of "New Other" as a listing option.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

I was looking for a jigsaw puzzle to donate to my neighborhood assisted-living center and saw the same contradiction in a listing. 

Seller listed condition as "new" but wrote in the description that the box and the plastic bag that held the puzzle pieces had been opened by her sister, but the puzzle had not actually been assembled. 

I thought the same thing: "Then it's not new." Needless to say, I found a different puzzle to purchase.

Here's my take on it:  if the category allows "New (other)" or some variation thereof, great. Choose that and explain it in the description. If, however, the only choices are between "New" and "Used," choose "Used." Even if the details are disclosed in the description, it's still an INAD waiting to happen. Plus, IMO, it makes the seller look very deceitful to select "New," considering the definition provided by eBay and quoted by the OP.

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

Could the definition be ANY clearer????

"Brand New: An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer’s sealing (if applicable). Item is in original shrink wrap (if applicable). See the seller's listing for full details"

Yet moronic, time wasting, dishonest, stupid, idiot sellers are STILL sending "OPENED" items that are NOT brand new. Do they think we would pay their premium price for a used product? NO!!!!

Stop wasting everyone's time with your dishonest **bleep** already!!!

To be quite honest about it, I think that using the 'qualifiers' in the description could make one think that the seller is trying to get away 'something'.

Some of us have very suspicious minds.  😀

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 11 of 57
latest reply

@gkn29 wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:

I list them as new because they ARE new and just include a note that the box has been opened to inspect for damage. 

A lot of categories don't have that as an option, though. That's the problem.

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

The category I'm referring to has "new (other)" which could apply in this case. And if it was listed as such I would not have bought it and moved on.

However the seller should just list it as USED if it's not brand new. SIMPLE.

Far better to understate the quality than overstate, and over price, it...

In that case, yeah, they should have used that option if it was available to them. But that option isn't always there, and it's not always as simple as "new" versus "used." There need to be more condition choices available.

Message 13 of 57
latest reply

@duffy4444 wrote:

Whenever I can, I use the "New Other" description, if it is given as a condition option when listing. I think Ebay should expand the use of "New Other" as a listing option.

Cheers, Duffy

100% agreed. It need to be an option in ALL categories, not just some.

Message 14 of 57
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@gkn29 wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:

A lot of categories don't have that as an option, though. That's the problem.

I think there may be different levels of "opened" being discussed in this thread.

If a seller merely slipped open an unsealed box without damaging any of the corners of the "lid" or whatnot, that's one thing. If any seals or shrink-wrap or plastic packaging or anything else you can think of has been broken or damaged or however else you want to describe it, the item should no longer be classified as "New." If the only other choice is "Used," then so be it. Better to be honest by remaining within eBay's condition definitions.

People often buy items listed as "New" for gift-giving. If they receive an item with less than intact packaging, they'll request a return/refund, and, of course, it will be approved by eBay. Best to be upfront about the condition of the item--including the original packaging.

Message 15 of 57
latest reply