cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What part about "BRAND NEW" do sellers not seem to understand???

Could the definition be ANY clearer????

"Brand New: An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer’s sealing (if applicable). Item is in original shrink wrap (if applicable). See the seller's listing for full details"

Yet moronic, time wasting, dishonest, stupid, idiot sellers are STILL sending "OPENED" items that are NOT brand new. Do they think we would pay their premium price for a used product? NO!!!!

Stop wasting everyone's time with your dishonest **bleep** already!!!

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

@evelyb30 wrote:

We also direly need a place for New Old Stock for vintage/antique items.  

OTOH you are assuming buyers read, and these days that's a big assumption. 

Yep dat no reading Is a problem:  Shows the state of education of the masses I believe...

Message 31 of 57
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

You sell in a bunch of categories. Is there a category or type of item this applies to? 

Yes, I'm referring to a specific category in this case. As Duffy said, collectors of this type of item have certain expectations when they see "new" and "used" that don't fit with what eBay considers to be "new" and "used" in their category descriptions, but then eBay also doesn't give us any other option to use instead.

Message 32 of 57
latest reply

@duffy4444 wrote:

Only one additional condition description is needed - "New (Other)". That should be enough for the buyer to see that he should read the description carefully for the explanation. This option is already given in certain categories at Ebay, but should be universal and the only other choice that is needed.

Amazon already has a similar condition option for sellers to list - "Like New", which opens up another field for the seller to fill in all the condition details.

This is not that difficult an issue.

- Duffy

I agree--although I think "New/Old Stock" might be helpful, as suggested by an earlier poster.

eBay already has a condition of "New other" available in some categories, as well as a condition of "Open box." The problem (well, one of the many) is that eBay has not made those conditions available in all categories across the board.

Conditions.PNG

Message 33 of 57
latest reply

Any antique buyer would laugh at an antique item being listed as new... come on!

- Duffy

Message 34 of 57
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@duffy4444 wrote:

Any antique buyer would laugh at an antique item being listed as new... come on!

- Duffy

The only reason they don't is because they can't...trust me on this

Message 35 of 57
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

@duffy4444 wrote:

Only one additional condition description is needed - "New (Other)". That should be enough for the buyer to see that he should read the description carefully for the explanation. This option is already given in certain categories at Ebay, but should be universal and the only other choice that is needed.

Amazon already has a similar condition option for sellers to list - "Like New", which opens up another field for the seller to fill in all the condition details.

This is not that difficult an issue.

- Duffy

I agree--although I think "New/Old Stock" might be helpful, as suggested by an earlier poster.

eBay already has a condition of "New other" available in some categories, as well as a condition of "Open box." The problem (well, one of the many) is that eBay has not made those conditions available in all categories across the board.

Conditions.PNG

Then you'd have to add "Brand new/old stock" too, LOL

Message 36 of 57
latest reply

Greetings, ms*havisham,

"New/Old Stock" also sounds good to me, and is quite an acceptable and precise choice. I use it in ALL of my vintage Avon item descriptions, and even for most items that are less than 15-20 years old, depending on the category.

My buyers know exactly what they are getting for their money, with a totally honest description spelled out. You know how picky collectors can be, and so far every one of mine are happy with no problems and few questions that are always answered successfully and honestly.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 37 of 57
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

You sell in a bunch of categories. Is there a category or type of item this applies to? 

Yes, I'm referring to a specific category in this case. As Duffy said, collectors of this type of item have certain expectations when they see "new" and "used" that don't fit with what eBay considers to be "new" and "used" in their category descriptions, but then eBay also doesn't give us any other option to use instead.

But what about the examples I gave of potential buyers who are not collectors? I believe those examples were in the same post you truncated. Are they just out of luck because they don't know the secret guidelines that everyone else knows?

Since I don't know anything about the item or the category you're referring to, are you willing to explain what kind of packaging you're opening when you check your items for damage? Are you opening a sealed box? Removing shrink wrap? Breaking open plastic? Ripping packing material? What's involved in your inspection in regard to packaging?

Look. I totally agree with you that eBay needs to revamp their condition descriptions and make them applicable to all categories. What I think both the OP and I (and a few other posters) are saying is that, in the absence of the myriad of potentially more accurate and more helpful condition descriptions, the OP's seller and the seller I mentioned, should have chosen "New other" (in the OP's example) or "Used" (in my example) rather than "New." And I'm saying if the only conditions in a given category are "New" and "Used," and the packaging is not intact, it's "Used."

Message 38 of 57
latest reply

jonathan...

Thanks for bringing up a very good question with your original post that opened this discussion! We need more of this to open up things on this and other Ebay forums. 

But I realize I've just spent two hours on this issue, and I MUST break away to continue with my master bath tile job before I have a rolling pin hanging over my head.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 39 of 57
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

Since I don't know anything about the item or the category you're referring to, are you willing to explain what kind of packaging you're opening when you check your items for damage? Are you opening a sealed box? Removing shrink wrap? Breaking open plastic? Ripping packing material? What's involved in your inspection in regard to packaging?

Look. I totally agree with you that eBay needs to revamp their condition descriptions and make them applicable to all categories. What I think both the OP and I (and a few other posters) are saying is that, in the absence of the myriad of potentially more accurate and more helpful condition descriptions, the OP's seller and the seller I mentioned, should have chosen "New other" (in the OP's example) or "Used" (in my example) rather than "New." And I'm saying if the only conditions in a given category are "New" and "Used," and the packaging is not intact, it's "Used."

They would probably share the same definition. These are collectible items but there is no value in the packaging being sealed; they're not particularly valuable or rare and they're meant to be displayed.

The boxes are typically held closed with a couple of pieces of scotch tape, no shrink wrap involved. The figure inside the box is sealed in its own clear plastic packaging and unassembled so that it will fit in the box for safer transport; the buyer puts it together once they've purchased it. All I do is cut the tape and open the box to look inside and be sure that the figure has not been crushed or broken in any way. I don't touch or open the sealed plastic packaging or assemble the figure; it's literally exactly the same as a 100% new one except for the fact that the pieces of scotch tape have been cut and the lid of the box has been opened. This is why I said that buyers consider that new: it's clear that the figure itself has not been touched or opened in any way as it still has the sealed protective plastic packaging around it and has not been put together.

I do have some figures that ARE used-- those have been taken out of the packaging and put together at some point, then taken back apart and wrapped up in the packaging and put back in the box. Those are obviously not new and have clearly been assembled. That's what buyers are expecting when they see "Used."

Message 40 of 57
latest reply

It's commonplace for a seller to look at the item in their hand and put on their 'rose-colored glasses' to determine the condition of the item.    For many items, it takes years of experience and a certain amount of discipline to determine the correct grade of an item.  Many sellers think of themselves as 'pickers', but they have no idea of how to grade the things they purchase.

Ebay certainly doesn't help matters when they fiddle with the item specifics at different times.  I list a few things in the sheet music categories and a few weeks ago when they were tweaking the item specifics it changed the overall grade that myself and other people had put in for their sheets.

I had to fix several different items that eBay now said were "Like New", even though in the description it actually says the item is in VG or GD.   I checked several other sellers to see what it said in their listings and the eBay item specifics had done the same thing to them.  That is totally eBay's fault.   Not everybody has the time to fix hundreds, or even thousands of listings.

I have always believed that the eBay marketplace is a 'buyer beware' arena.

You really have to view the photos and ask questions to get the real 'picture' of what is being offered.

Message 41 of 57
latest reply

I would also appreciate a "new, old stock" listing.

I sell a LOT of discontinued products and (normally) state New/old stock.  

It would help the buyers who think they're getting a pristine boxed item, who have no idea of the discontinued status of the product to NOT buy, while the buyers who KNOW the product has been off the market for 1-10 years knows exactly what they are purchasing, which is WHY they're looking on the secondary market!

20+ years ago, the majority of items on ebay were used, now the majority are new.  

Message 42 of 57
latest reply

what part of "if applicable" do you not understand?

Message 43 of 57
latest reply

@sawri_2017 wrote:

what part of "if applicable" do you not understand?

Huh? I'm sure the OP knows perfectly well what "if applicable" means, but I think you might be confused about this phrase in the context of eBay's condition description the OP has quoted.

Message 44 of 57
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby 

So, it may be redundant for ebay to have separate condition descriptions, but that is what they have chosen to do when they demand a particular format for the description and have lackadaisically included a single, general one, rather than being concise. 

In the middle, sellers find it to their benefit (usually financially) to list 100's or 1000's of action figures or collectibles of a specific category but complain about the necessity of being accurate in their description, and often reasonably so, due to idiotic item specifics included with accurate ones, so sometimes things seem to get overlooked or ignored.

In the meantime, a collector is only looking for the one or two that they need/want for their collection and have to wade through, ask questions, vet ebay and sellers to find what they want - and hopefully not have to return or exchange however many times.

Okay.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 45 of 57
latest reply