cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shouldn't Ebay Do A System Restore By Now?

The analogy is a good one.  When your personal computer becomes infected with malware, malicious programs and corrupted files, often times the best solution is to do a full system restore - to return your device back to a previous state.

Ebay's has it own versions of malware, malicious programs and corrupted files - in the form of disastrous and unfair  policies as well as armies of scam sellers and buyers alike that have come in an infected Ebay's markets.  All of this has combined to severely inhibit performance for most of Ebay's customers (the sellers) as well as the sellers' customers (the buyers). 

How much worse does it have to get before Ebay will return to what actually works?  They need to do a company wide system restore - return Ebay back to it's original state as much as possible.  This is the only way forward if Ebay wants to thrive once again.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Shouldn't Ebay Do A System Restore By Now?

@carbonart0 wrote:

I don't recall.  I've used this account since 2004 for both buying and selling.

Anyway, what difference does it make how long ago I've bought or sold something - if been within months (which it has) it makes no difference.

@carbonart0 

I don't know . . . I just always get a kick out of posters who neither buy nor sell on eBay, but seem to have a big chip on their shoulders about the platform, and post these vociferous comments about how horrid eBay is. 

I understand and empathize with the active sellers and buyers who post their concerns--no matter what they may be--here on the discussion boards, but, I mean, if a person neither buys nor sells on eBay, why would they care?

In the end, it's a free, public message board. Anyone can post anything they want (within the limits of the community guidelines). I just don't get why they'd want to. If I had quit buying/selling here three months ago, I think I'd find a better way to spend my time, but that's just me. *shrug*

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

I just got screwed over by Ebay.  I am looking at an unfair charge to my pay pal account.  That makes me a current seller on Ebay.  But even if I wasn't a current seller on Ebay - so what?  Are you suggesting the people who've been cheated by Ebay should just be quiet if they choose not to continue using Ebay?

IF NOT, then just what are you saying....Hmmmmmm?

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@carbonart0 wrote:

Are you suggesting the people who've been cheated by Ebay should just be quiet if they choose not to continue using Ebay?

@carbonart0 

Nope--not saying that at all. Free access to a public message board. Post away.

@carbonart0 wrote:

I'm saying what I've already said: I'm amused by people who neither buy nor sell on eBay but continue to post diatribes against the platform. 

I read your posts about your problems with PayPal. Here's a link to their discussion forum, in case you want to post there, too:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/PayPal-Community/ct-p/en

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

I don't think you're amused at all.  I think it annoys you that people who've been cheated by Ebay (and pay pal) won't just shut up and go away.

That's it isn't it? 

What's going to happen if they cheat you next?  Assuming you sell on Ebay...  Or maybe you don't even sell anything on Ebay at all.  You're listed here as a "Guide."  What kind of a guide?  Do you work at the grand canyon perhaps and guide tourists to the bottom of the canyon while riding mules?  What kind of 'guide' are you exactly?  Just who are you working for?  

You're not buying or selling anything by your profile...

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

I've reported bad sellers and have recently learned that other sellers block me for it. 

They screw up,  I get punished.

It goes both ways. 

Ebay is making both sides angry. 

I hope I'm allowed to say that without getting a "warning". 

While I agree ebay resetting to the original design sounds good, 

I also believe people were being devious and dishonest and ebay 

had to start making "adjustments".  They've come along way from pez dispensers. 

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

Yes,  in the past, I've been blocked (as a buyer) by colluding sellers (long story, but one tried to cheat me, and the seller's buddies blocked me outright - I found I was blocked by the local friends of the original buyer, and even though I've never even contacted these other buyers before).... 

But it is Ebay's policies that have served to create a rise in bad buyer and seller populations within Ebay's markets.  Some of Ebay's policies are clearly designed to encourage scam buying and selling - at Ebay's customers' (the sellers) and the customer's customers (the buyer's) expense.

Ebay is indeed making both buyers and sellers angry but they are doing it in an attempt to enrich Ebay...Ebay is complicit in criminal behavior here.  As a good example of it - Sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for scam buyers.  Ebay knows full well the effect this will have....it's complicity in crime by Ebay....

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

Don't feed the troll.
Message 22 of 36
latest reply

I am not feeding trolls.

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

Although I hate to admit it, carbonart is correct. When I started in 1999 you were at the seller’s mercy if they sent you a misdescribed item or nothing. There was no buyer protection and if sellers were negged for misrepresentation they would neg right back.

Furthermore it was not unknown for sellers to use descriptions in jpg form hosted offsite and they could switch out the description image to something else.

Sellers were listing many things with extremely high shipping. If the item was SNAD and the buyer returned, they’d get $1 back and no way to force a full refund.

Dont get me started on the keyword spamming, often in background colored font which made searching much more difficult than it needed to be.

There was no way to make sellers behave, just as there’s no way to make buyers behave now. The only other thing that has changed is that scammers have found the site and we are never going back to the early days.

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

I also started selling in '99,I was a power seller of fine jewelry for many years,I just dont want to work that hard anymore now that I am retired, its strictly a hobby now.While I remember, and agree with all the points you made,that still doesnt mean that Ebays number one priority was ever sellers, not buyers.Ebay just hadn't instilled the buyer protection criteria yet. Seems to me both buyers and sellers were at each others mercy back then.But I do remember sending Ebay a photocopy of a check for an item not received, and either Ebay or the seller reimbursing me..I cant remember which now,but I believe it was Ebay. And Ebay naru'd that seller with my one complaint. So to say Ebay favored sellers over buyers is just not true..imho.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 25 of 36
latest reply

@carbonart0 wrote:

I just got screwed over by Ebay.  I am looking at an unfair charge to my pay pal account.  That makes me a current seller on Ebay.  But even if I wasn't a current seller on Ebay - so what?  Are you suggesting the people who've been cheated by Ebay should just be quiet if they choose not to continue using Ebay?

The buyer filed a credit card chargeback. Neither eBay nor PayPal can prevent that.

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

Ebay worked great 10 years ago and back.

Sellers weren't crooked and neither were buyers  - largely because feedback stuck and Ebay hadn't gotten greedy yet.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

Trying to revise what happened again I see.

Ebay sent me a refund and then arranged with PP to erase it.

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

Sellers and buyers were not crooked ten years ago and back? I beg to differ..I got scammed for an $1100 Cartier tank watch that I never received. And a buyer returned a ruby ring I had sold her, after first removing the four ct. ruby.You make statements that have no basis in fact.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 29 of 36
latest reply

And just so you know, I appealed that ruby ring return and lost..so much for Ebays priority being sellers over buyers back then.

Message 30 of 36
latest reply