cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller should be penalized for selling non functioning item

Why does EBAY continue to allow sellers to sell items that do not function?  I just bought a refurbished computer from ebay and the seller had an unblemished rating.   How does a seller have such a record when he is selling products that do not work?  Ebay ought to charge the seller  at least a $50 fee when a buyer has to return a faulty item.  Just my take!  If you feel the same way, say so!

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

So, a seller has one bad item and we should fine the seller? What about the buyers that don't read the listing and return the item because they did not read it? Or return a different item than what was purchased. Should we fine them as well?

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

No, I do not agree.

You said the seller has an unblemished record so that means they are not in the habit of selling non working items. Could have been dropped during transit. 

You get free return shipping and all your money back. The seller loses the shipping money both ways. That's punishment enough.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

How does ebay know it doesn't function?  You say the seller has an unblemished rating?   Why not assume this was an aberration as opposed to a deliberate action?

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Why are you angry?   Computers tend to have issues.   Why hate the seller for something that might not even have anything to do with them.  Things break, things fail.  If they took it back and refunded you, you should be understanding, not blocked from bidding.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

And then I saw the feedback you like to leave.   WOW, anger issues abound, don't they?  

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

There are probably millions of items sold on eBay every day.  No one from eBay sees or checks those items so how could they know something was non-functioning? 

Do you not know how to use the Money Back Guarantee to fix the problem?  Open an item not as described case.  The seller will be required to send you a prepaid return label.

You can certainly leave the appropriate feedback for the seller.  

Yes, I would certainly like to be charged a $50 fee as a seller if a buyer had to return my supposedly faulty $l7.00 item.  

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@carp589  You might find yourself on several blocked bidder lists after this posting. LOL

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

How does a seller have such a record when he is selling products that do not work?

Are you saying that every other product the seller listed also did not work? How do you know this?

Why does EBAY continue to allow sellers to sell items that do not function? 

Because eBay is not in a position to inspect and verify every one of the 1.5 billion items listed on eBay.

Ebay ought to charge the seller  at least a $50 fee when a buyer has to return a faulty item.

If you feel the same way, say so!

If eBay did that, unscrupulous sellers would be able to eliminate their competition by making straw purchases and false claims. No thanks.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

There is a new Ebay rule that sellers are not allowed to say they refurbished an item. Not sure which categories that includes but regardless, when you submit an item not as described the seller does "pay". They have to give you a return shipping label, they also get a mark on their record. No need to punish them any further with a $50 fine.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Hi @carp589 

When half the feedback a buyer leaves are negative … it makes it hard to know whether the buyer is giving an honest review of the item  … OR is merely a scammer trying to get free stuff.

eBay has no way of knowing whether or not an item is functioning.  It can only guarantee a full refund when it is ‘not as described’ when the buyer receives it.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@carp589 wrote:

Why does EBAY continue to allow sellers to sell items that do not function?  I just bought a refurbished computer from ebay and the seller had an unblemished rating.   How does a seller have such a record when he is selling products that do not work?  Ebay ought to charge the seller  at least a $50 fee when a buyer has to return a faulty item.  Just my take!  If you feel the same way, say so!

Would have to know the listing. How can anyone comment without knowing what the listing stated. I'd like to fine any poster who dose not copy and paste the complete description so help can be provided.

Maybe it was just a certain part that was refurbished.  I'd like to fine a $1000 of any poster who does not post comments with there actual ID(not saying u did this). I'd like any eBay member has more than 1 account is publicly disclosed, or a fine of $5000.00 per day to eBay.  What do you think my chances are, LOL   

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

You do know that Ebay has a money back guarantee policy and if you receive a defective product, it can happen, then you have every right to ship back the item at the seller's expense.  You really should try to work it out with the seller first before complaining here or leaving a negative as you did on that truck part.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Electronics can have problems that come and go.  Solder connections to the board can be broken in shipping if they were not good to begin with.  Many ASICs have solder pads on their under side and there is no good way to inspect that.  That was the Xbox red ring of death issue.

I don't think a seller with a great record would send out a non working item. 

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

We love it when buyers volunteer for our block list.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply