cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller should be penalized for selling non functioning item

Why does EBAY continue to allow sellers to sell items that do not function?  I just bought a refurbished computer from ebay and the seller had an unblemished rating.   How does a seller have such a record when he is selling products that do not work?  Ebay ought to charge the seller  at least a $50 fee when a buyer has to return a faulty item.  Just my take!  If you feel the same way, say so!

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Seller should be penalized for selling non functioning item

Yikes, 3 out of 8 feedback left by you are negs... perhaps online shopping is not the best venue for you? Thanks for posting!

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

i disagree. if a seller pays return shipping and fully refunds you, then that is that. that is the best case. sometimes the seller is not at fault, but if they refund and pay the shipping cost if they want the item back then they are of no obligation to deal with any other cost. 

i had a family member that used to sell on ebay and had to deal with scum bag buyers. one item was a dress, the dress was obviously worn once and then returned, plus paypal holding funds was enough for my relative to take the 20 items she sold and stopped selling on ebay after that. didnt want to deal with any more dishonest buyers. not saying you were being dishonest, but if you are not out any money, i dont see the issue. yeah it sucks the item didnt work, but if the seller was reasonable try asking them about other items they have. or if they find another item like the one you want to let you know and you will buy from them. im telliing you, finding a reasonable seller is like gold these days. most sellers are trash. 

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I really don’t get your issue.   File a claim for item not as described, get a refund, take a chill pill, and move with your life.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

No those who want to punish people for using a posting ID should be fined. It is nothing but an attack on the majority of the posters here.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

You do realize that even new computers have a failure rate of 1% or more. Just because this seller sold 100 computers with no issues and you bought one that did have an issue does not mean they are scammers.  Profit margins for selling computers on ebay can be pretty thin so the cost of the "free" shipping to you and the "free" return shipping is probably more than the profit they made selling the computer to you. Therefore a fine is not necessary - they already lost money on the sale that cannot be recouped.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

well, i mean you're shipping a computer. having the background i do in computer repair growing up, ALWAYS expect to have problems bc shipping does NOT CARE what is inside your package, they'll toss it either way. half the custom built towers ive ever ordered off of ebay come DOA just bc UPS & FedEx here like to tumble the packages off of the truck like some rabid soccer match. ALSO, power supplies dont like smacks to the pavement and they hate the cold. its a big battery surrounded by extremely sensitive and thin metal materials. if it was listed as refurbished and not for parts, and there is no prior clause in the description, then its usually an honest mistake.

so much can go wrong with shipping a computer. you drop it once its dead forever and the seller really has no control over that what so ever!! you are looking at this on a personal level as if they did it to you on purpose, when they literally have no control of the package once it leaves their arms!, & its not fair at all to blame them for something they didnt do. was the box damaged? you should be looking at this on a more logical consumer level.

shipping issues happen, you need to handle these issues diplomatically, & responsibly as a consumer. when you're not sure what to do, ask the seller! hopefully the package was insured and the seller can refund you, on return of the item of course. i would highly suggest opening an INAD case for the damages.

i highly doubt with a very hard worked for pristine record as you exclaim, that they would suddenly be willing to just risk that for no reason at all after years of honest excellence. please be more professional and not as quick to crucify your poor sellers, accidents happen. unfortunately with bigger electronics, its about 90% of the time due to shipping mishandling.......lol, spite fee. thats funny.

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Best, most helpful, informative response. If the angry buyer told us something of the specific issue and any response by the seller we might be able to help him/her. As you know it could just the power switch or the memory sticks need to be reseated.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply