cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller leaves feedback 1st.

I'm a buyer on Ebay not a seller. I leave feedback same day item arrives. I feel the seller should leave feedback as soon as payment is received. That's all the seller has to judge the transaction. If seller hasn't left it by the time I receive item I post F/B as normal but rate the communication section as low as it goes. 

Message 1 of 125
latest reply
124 REPLIES 124

Re: Seller leaves feedback 1st.

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

OP, you may also be being blocked by sellers who figure out just who rated their DSR for communication "as low as it gets".

As previously stated, that star is for rating communication through Ebay messages, NOT for whether or not you think they left feedback as quickly as you think it should be left.  

It also important to point out the Ebay gives you 60 DAYS  to post feedback.  Many post feedback in batches, when they get the time.  

You can't always get what you want happens all through life.  

Message 121 of 125
latest reply

@lgl11 wrote:
As a buyer, when I receive my item I leave feedback. I always have. For me, it's about getting the item I purchased. While getting feedback is always appreciated, it never has made or broken a transaction for me.

Thank you, that's the way it should be!

Message 122 of 125
latest reply

@diralect wrote:

Feedback is meant for just that purpose, feedback of the transaction.  Too many prideful or to use someone elses term "possible nefarious reason" driven sellers wait for a buyer to leave feedback.

The transaction is just that, the trading of goods, service or money for something (typically is equal or greater value) in return.  The case of eBay, it is money for services/goods.  Once the money is received by the buyer, there is nothing else (no matter how you spin it) that the buyer has to do concerning the TRANSACTION, however, the seller is to SHIP the item or provide the services.  That is to say, the seller has to obligate their responsibility(ies) of the TRANSACTION.

I don't know when it became any different, but, rest assured, I'm a buyer that will not leave feedback for a seller until I receive said feedback.  Why?  Because, my part in the TRANSACTION was done when I paid.  Did you not like the color of my money when you withdrew it from your bank?  Take it up with your bank!

When I first began so many years ago, I was the nice guy.  I would get the item from the seller (always in good condition, as I've been fortunate enough to have never gotten scammed if you believe that), give a positive feedback (because the sellers responsibility was over with and thus could be graded via feedback) but then noticed, I never got one in return.. and why would they?  The leverage is in the BUYERS hands, rest assured.  If every buyer would understand the aforementioned words I've shared above, this would never have become backwards from how it should be.

What would a "nefarious" situation be of a buyer?  They leave a negative feedback just because?  Does their negative feedback have a matching PayPal claim?  Was said claim accepted/processed and found in favor of the buyer?  Well, sounds like the seller wouldn't have a leg to stand on, nor should be surprised by the negative feedback.  Think PayPal's system is flawed?  Then take it up with PayPal!  Stop using the buyers feedback as a bargaining chip.

What's to stop a seller from never leaving a feedback even after the buyer leaves one, regardless if it's a positive feedback with 5 stars... oh, nothing.. because "the buyer got theirs..."

But, unfortunately, in this world of complacency, too many weak minded buyers will continue to leave feedback for a buyer first and so long as that continues, despite a buyers TRANSACTIONAL responsibilities being over with upon payment (which is what the feedback is based on the TRANSACTION, they are NOT inter-changable).  Thus, nothing will change.

I'll continue to do as I have done.  And deserving buyers (again in my 19 years of eBaying I think it's been?) will continue to earn positive feedback from me, so long as their service (auction description matching the product received, the speed in which it was received in accordance with said auction, etc, etc.) matches that of the auction and if they left me feedback based on MY obligation of the TRANSACTION.  As a buyer alone, I must have lost out on 20 feedbacks because I was stupid enough to leave a positive feedback before receiving it.  Go figure.

TL;DR - Nothing will change until the buyers change it (back to where it used to be!).  Sellers have this sense of entitlement, that I never had when I was a seller.  Good luck and my flame suit is all buttoned up, rest assured.

I'm a buyer, and you mention prideful sellers, or possible nefarious reason sellers withholding feedback.  I must admit that buyers who insist on immediate feedback make me wonder just why it is so important to them...do they plan something nefarious down the road but want to be sure they get their "reward" feedback before that?  Why else would they be so adamant over getting that first if they weren't?

With all due respect, just paying is not all the buyer has to do.  They have a responsibility to act ethically and courteously~no threatening bad feedback if the seller doesn't cave to their unreasonable demands, no post sale negotiation, no rudeness, no filing false SNAD to force the seller to pay return shipping, no sending back your old broken item or a rock instead of the item you received.

It all boils down to feedback being voluntary and understanding just what may have happened to that seller before that is causing them to have second thoughts about leaving feedback for that buyer first.

Again, leave feedback and you just might find you get feedback, although there is no guarantee.  You may not know that sellers who post positive feedback for the buyer immediately upon payment report only receiving about 20 to 30% feedback in return.  More buyers leave feedback when they don't receive it first.  So you might look to the vast majority of buyers who don't bother even when they receive it first for answers.

Message 123 of 125
latest reply

Buyer feedback needs to go the way of the dinosaurs
Message 124 of 125
latest reply

A seller posting feedback as soon as you pay would be like you posting feedback as soon as they ship.

Would you do that?  I think not.

Same thing.

Message 125 of 125
latest reply